Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2019, 19:41   #31
BHPian

Re: OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

To answer the OP's question, go ahead & buy branded spare parts from outside without worry. Just be sure you're sourcing your parts from a reputable shop. Lots of fakes around. In Bombay, I trust Shetty Motors (Opera House) & Chandrika Auto (Dadar).

Was better or worse? Please elaborate.
The challenge always is not so much the availability of parts but finding an FNG that does the job right. Tried Carzone Nerul for getting the suspension on my Vento overhauled. Sourced the parts from Shetty motors (TRW struts etc). But the set-up developed trouble immediately (play in all new mounts, horrible sound on damping). Ultimately had to go to the ASS who were able resolve much better. Now when I had to get the water pump changed, couldn't dare to go to an FNG. Pump+Fan+Timing Belt+ sundries set me back by upwards of 40K.
Annibaddh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 19:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Slightly OT. My Swift is 11 yrs old and am about to replace the rear suspension. Front suspension was replaced at ASC for about 20k. I now realize I must've replaced it outside So for replacing rear suspension, can someone suggest a good authentic OEM supplier in Chennai for Maruti? Thanks.
You can also consider just buying MGP parts and getting them replaced at a Friendly Neighbourhood Garage.

In Chennai there are several branches of Maruti authorised MGP exclusive outlets run by,
  1. XL Auto
  2. Oppiliappa Automobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
I've rather been in the same dilemma for a couple of years.
The problem is that the A.S.S prices have gone up drastically

Is there anyone in Chennai who knows of a reputed shop to buy OEM parts and also a garage that can execute the work in a neat fashion?

It's for a 2002 Honda City.

Main parts that i need right now
1. All 4 shock absorbers (Brand-Showa (i think its Munjan Showa to be Precise))
2. New Discs and Drums- pads are made by Nisin
3. Possibly a new clutch soon? Current one has run 174,000kms so far(stock clutch)
4. Release Bearing

or if anyone has tried and tested other brands, i don't mind either all inputs are welcome
Try checking for the parts at :

1. MAHAVIR AUTO since 1964 at General Patters Road, Chennai. They have an online website too : www.sparesonline.in

2. Murugan Auto Stores, North Usman Road, T.Nagar

and for a workshop, there are a lot of positive feedback from fellow bhp'ians experience at "IgNite The Garage"
rubicon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 20:46   #33
BHPian

As long as the part number is EXACTLY the same, one can safely buy outside ASS. I have bought AC evaporators, fuel filter from delphi etc.. When it comes to OE components price difference will not be much. At the same time I have used cheaper suspension, rotors , pads and thrown them away and replaced with OE at ASS. Cheaper Bosch pads are a BIG No No for me. Febi brembo and others which are sold are mostly fakes. Ive used monroe suspension on hyundai elantra and seen them break in less than 20k kms. Of all the spares, Brakes are most crucial and i alwaysr advise people to buy them at service centres irrespective of the cost. Wipers, horns and other less important parts are better left out of the discussion
blackbeast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 01:09   #34
BHPian

The below video have a very good example with complete technical explanation for MAF sensor OEM Vs After market. Hope this gives some perspective!
Naveen_0181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 01:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
2. Spare parts (OEM) - Supplied parts are in the tolerances here too, but they are spread on a broader range of the mean line. For example if the design tolerances are between (+) or (-) 50 microns the OEM parts have measurements of say 10-15 microns around the mean line, where as the spare parts will have say 20-25 microns.

As a mechanical engineer, I can also vouch for this. Higher cost of parts are justified, but OEMs jack up the price way too much for service centers to make money. If a brand(like Bosch) supplies a part to OEMs and sells the same in the aftermarket, the aftermarket parts will be the ones with higher deviation from the mean line, but well within the design limits. It is also like the case of getting bodywork done from a reputable body shop than the ASS. Picture the case where you get 70-90% of the life/functionality in 40-50% of the price. The only thing we've replaced with non OEM parts are door handles, wiper blades etc. My dad has got bodywork done at 25k at a local shop, compared to 65k quoted by Nandi Toyota.

I would generally buy branded spares from the aftermarket unless it a critical component in the engine or transmission- which can be expensive if they fail. ASS repairs can give you some sort of (goodwill) warranty. Some people may disagree, but to each his own.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 05:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
you can only get the equivalent ones from other reputed (debatable) brands like Bosch, Sofima, Purolator.
These are all international brands - Purolator, Mann and Hella, which are German, are all licensed in India through one partner manufacturer Anand which also partners with Gabriel etc. https://www.anandgroupindia.com/auto...and-solutions/

Sofima is Italian and from the UFI group's subsidiary in Bawal, Haryana
https://sofima-aftermarket.com/
https://m.indiamart.com/ufi-filters-india-ltd/

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
can someone suggest a good authentic OEM supplier in Chennai for Maruti? Thanks.
You can buy Maruti Genuine Parts at a wide variety of places in Chennai (multiple branches of Oppiliappa Automobiles and XL Auto) and get them fitted by a good local garage.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
OEM gives me peace of mind when it comes to a critical system like brakes
OEM pads last 3 times aftermarket ones on an average. Bosch and TVS have various "categories" of brake pads and the lowest priced ones throw up a lot of dust, and thus need a replacement typically at 25k kms.

OEM pads go way past 70k under same driving conditions. Not sure about the Altis but have seen this on the earlier gen Corollas.

Quote:

Is there anyone in Chennai who knows of a reputed shop to buy OEM parts and also a garage that can execute the work in a neat fashion?

Retail store - please try Benz Auto Spares.

You'll find this in a building(Wellington Plaza I think) just behind the GP Road bus stop(the one where GP Road starts when you come in from the Buhari Hotel end).

Another suggestion is Namo Auto Agencies which is in a lane off GP Road. Have got D2R HID bulbs from them at a very competitive price.

I don't appreciate work ethics of Mahavir. They're a big name and that's about it.

Garage - if you are ok with slightly high labour charges but good workmanship, my technician operates temporarily from the petrol station next to Taj Coromandel.

Last edited by vigsom : 21st February 2019 at 09:40.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
So long story short is there any difference in the Renault branded Monroe shock absorber and the regular Monroe shock absorber apart from the price of course?
1) The sales profit margin is well...marginal in India, therefore the dealers survive on service revenues and with the knowledge of principal, parts cost & labour is jacked up to the max. I feel that if you inform them about the cost outside they might offer some discount.

2) Suspension parts are not covered under any warranty - like tyres/brake pads/rotors. So next time something goes bust in the suspension, irrespective of servicing by dealer or FNG, you will not be able to claim anything (unless the replaced unit gives away altogether in a day or week which I assume will not happen being branded product).
Old 21st February 2019, 09:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Suspension parts are not covered under any warranty - like tyres/brake pads/rotors.
Early failures are covered. Leave apart the failure on a brand new car within weeks or months, even on the replacement part failure within 'few' months and 'few' thousand km are covered (in some cases, even when the vehicle is way out of extended warranty)
Old 21st February 2019, 10:11   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
OEM pads last 3 times aftermarket ones on an average. Bosch and TVS have various "categories" of brake pads and the lowest priced ones throw up a lot of dust, and thus need a replacement typically at 25k kms. OEM pads go way past 70k under same driving conditions. Not sure about the Altis but have seen this on the earlier gen Corollas.
Actually this set of brake parts that was replaced were the factory fitted ones. In the 10G Corolla Altis, you can expect to burn through a set of rear brake pads in 20-25K kms and the front set in about approximately 40-50K kms. This is after anticipating stops and not indulging in last minute hard braking except in emergencies of course. Except the old rear brake pads no other parts required replacement. The rear disc had been scored but not too badly.

Aftermarket spares were so reasonably priced that I thought to myself heck for just about a few thousand bucks over the price Toyota charges me for the rear brake pads I could get new brake pads AND rotors for all 4 wheels! There was a distinct possibility I wouldn't be happy with non-genuine spares but I decided to take a risk and try 'em out. I retained the genuine Toyota front brake pads just in case.

IMHO new pads + new rotors (or resurfaced/skimmed if old rotors are retained) makes for an ideal situation. I attribute replacement of all friction surfaces and diligent bedding-in procedures to the better than expected braking performance with these much cheaper aftermarket parts.

All said, if someone were to ask me what to buy I'd always point them to genuine parts only because it is relatively risk free and carries a warranty on the parts and labour when this job is done by the ASC.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I've rather been in the same dilemma for a couple of years.
The problem is that the A.S.S prices have gone up drastically

Main parts that i need right now
1. All 4 shock absorbers (Brand-Showa (i think its Munjan Showa to be Precise))
2. New Discs and Drums- pads are made by Nisin
3. Possibly a new clutch soon? Current one has run 174,000kms so far(stock clutch)
4. Release Bearing

or if anyone has tried and tested other brands, i don't mind either
all inputs are welcome

Sir, my suggestion for the the above will be

1. Shock absorbers : go for KYB ( best) or TRW ( Improves the car ability by a leap)
2. Disc and drums : Stick to Nissin ( easily available through Nissin) but for brake pads, try Brembo
3. Clutch : Try Exceedy, you wont regret the decision for another 1 lac kms
4. Release bearing : OEM is best. Try to buy the parts from hondapartsnow.com matching the part number. The cost will be atleast 50% less, if not more.
dip27in is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:07   #42
BHPian

My father has his Maruti Omni which is now almost 18 Years old and I do remember that when it was around 12 years old there were lot of maintenance work done on the car. Apart from denting painting the car fully almost every major mechanical part of the car had received an overhauling like Clutch, Suspension, Brakes, Coolant Flushing, Alternator, Self Starter. Since I am from Kolkata and at that time since I was in my college days so I took the car to my FNG and bought all the parts necessary.

Bansal Auto Distributors located in Princep Street Near Chandni Chowk in kolkata was the official MGP spare parts dealer at that time. Maruti had a policy that a customer upon showing the purchase invoice of the car could directly buy items and spare parts from authorised distributor. Usually Bansal only supplies these materials to the different dealers of maruti located across Kolkata.

What I found out was that main thing that matters in a car are the parts. If the spare parts are original and only the fitment is done from outside, there seems to be no problem or issues with that. The work that was done if that would have been done in a maruti workshop it would have cost us a bomb but since the parts were all original MGP so I got the quality parts and my FNG saved me on labour charges, lathe charges and also taxes+taxes+taxes (Different categories used to carry different taxes at that time, before GST) and finally used to cause a heartburn for the customer.

Original Spare Parts and Cheap Labour goes along way as per me.

@moderators- Since I am a newbie please excuse for any mistakes made by me. Also please remove/merge the post if this seems unnecessary.
sdg4wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:19   #43
BHPian

I quite like the discussion going on here. Surprisingly, I know suppliers that produce better quality spares than the OEM parts (both manufactured by the same supplier). Reason is quite simple, not all manufacturers have a robust quality testing system. Heck, I even know of instances when the manufacturer decides to pass on a defect because the product is already delayed and any further delay will escalate costs beyond the moon. And then comes the fact that some of these suppliers have a far more robust system to test parts - the branded spares therefore are of atleast the same quality as the OEM spares. Most of these defects are corrected by the brands way before the next iteration / face-lift of the original product.

Now I'm not talking about changing specs that makes the spares dangerous to use. Even a microscopic difference in the surface finish can enhance / reduce the B10 life of a spare beyond measure.
Old 23rd February 2019, 07:48   #44
BHPian

Hi,

I would prefer a branded spare parts rather than OEM spares subject to its high cost but as long as its not impacting the warranty.
Right now Iam with extended warranty on my Grand I10 so could not even to FNG even though the service rates are too high at ASS.
Iam attaching the terms and conditions of extended warranty as it may be helpful to someone/for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Terms and conditions of extended warranty-Hyundai.pdf (535.9 KB, 432 views)
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:48   #45
BHPian

My 2 bits, based on a chance visit and meeting with an OEM parts supplier some years ago - this is more from an economics point of view than a quality point:

1. In all likelihood, the parts are manufactured on the same assembly line, using same processes, etc. It is too expensive & challenging (in terms of downtime, reconfiguring, etc.) to change specs. The batches for OEM and the market may be different or they may divide output from the batches for both markets.

There is every possibility that the tolerances are tighter in OEM batches. Also, perhaps some of the returns from the OEM for not meeting specs could be sold in the retail market. Also, while OEMs may return a batch, returns from retail market are quite rare, practically none.

2. The OEM business is better for them as they get volumes and quick payment. Therefore, for the parts manufacturer, e.g. if he sells a unit to OEM for Re.1, in retail market their price may be Rs. 3 or 4, after packing it, etc.

3. Now trying to put an economic overview to this:

a. The OEM part is sold for Re.1, is transported to the OEM who checks, packs, etc. (COSTS), adds its profit margins (COSTS), stays in inventory for some time (COSTS), then transported to the dealer (COSTS), sits in dealer inventory (COSTS), add dealer margins (COSTS). Now, all this happens in the largely organized sector which means higher overheads (COSTS) and perhaps higher taxes - for e.g. GST will be 18% / 28%, whereas a composition dealer could charge only 5% (COSTS).

b.The OEM part is sold for Re.3 or 4 in the retail market, and then reaches the retail supplier either directly or indirectly through the wholesaler. Assuming that the time that the produce sits in inventory is roughly the same (in all likelihood could be lower), even then the overall costs in terms of overheads, efficiency of supply chain (as they can stock all brands and not just one brand of car), cost of capital, etc. is lower.

Therefore, all other things being equal, the actual cost of the product in the aftermarket retail seller should be lower than the cost to the dealer seller. Add tho that, dealer's OVERSIZED MARGINS (or consider it cost of capital) on parts & services to make up for the thin margins on sales and heavy initial investments.

There is one other factor, all OEMs have atleast 2-3 suppliers for most of the part. Now, at any given point of time, lets say they are sourcing most of their product from 2 suppliers, the 3rd one has some spare / slack capacity which they can use to produce & supply in the retail market while they wait to win the next order / tender. While this is not always the case, it is often times. Therefore, they can afford to sell at somewhat lesser margin in retail market than otherwise just to keep the plant running / inventory moving. Effectively, they survive on the OEM business and retail is more an add-on.
aashishnb is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks