Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 12:18   #61
BHPian

Re: OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market

Hello People,

I own a toyota Corolla Altis and i need to replace the HID bulbs. Any idea on what brands i can use and how much they cost? The originals at Toyota cost Rs. 14000 each and are out of the question for me.

Also, I need to get the front brake discs replaced. Any suggestions as to what brand I could use?

Thanks a tonne for the help.
Old 29th May 2020, 02:22   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
My experience till date:

Where quality of OEM was worse than branded: Have experienced this case too. Case in point, Lumax. In MGP, Lumax HL for a car costs Rs. 600, the same thing directly from Lumax stores is available for as little as Rs. 280. But there is a day and night difference between the quality, fit and finish. The parts they supply to Manufacturers are of far greater quality than those they supply in market through their own channels. In such cases, I'll prefer the manufacturer branded part anyday.
I have a similar experience with Lumax headlights for our 99 Omni. Last year I had to get the RHS HL replaced as the old one was damaged. I went with MGP HL, which was made by Lumax (even the outgoing HL was made by Lumax). Few months back I ordered a pair of headlights from Boodmo, this time I went with Lumax branded HL as MGP one wasn't available. The HL looked exactly same as the MGP one, as both were made by Lumax.

Today I changed the LHS HL as the old one was looking a bit tired. I observed a noticeable difference in light output (bulb is same for both sides). The MGP branded Lumax HL had better output than the HL bought directly from Lumax. I was shocked to see 2 HLs that looked exactly same having different output. Price wise MGP one costs Rs. 400 & the Lumax one costs Rs. 200 (though the mounting bracket isn't bundled together here).

RHS MGP Lumax HL:

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-mgp-hl1.jpg

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-mgp-hl2.jpg

LHS Lumax HL:

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-lumax-1.jpg

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-lumax-lhs.jpg

Day time light output:

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-day-time-light-output.jpg

Low beam cutoff against a wall 25ft away:

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-low_beam.jpg

Low beam:

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-low_beam_1.jpg

High beam:

OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-high_beam.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 29th May 2020 at 02:33.
chiranjitp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 19:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
Sir, my suggestion for the the above will be

1. Shock absorbers : go for KYB ( best) or TRW ( Improves the car ability by a leap)
2. Disc and drums : Stick to Nissin ( easily available through Nissin) but for brake pads, try Brembo
3. Clutch : Try Exceedy, you wont regret the decision for another 1 lac kms
4. Release bearing : OEM is best. Try to buy the parts from hondapartsnow.com matching the part number. The cost will be atleast 50% less, if not more.
Where does one buy the kayaba shocks? Mine is a Honda Brio hatch.
I have doubts on fitment of these, hence refraining from a foreign order.

Any lead on this?
Old 24th September 2022, 14:20   #64

Hi guys,

I have been quoted 36000 INR by Skoda Service to replace front shock absorbers. I saw on bodomo they are quite less. But I do want piece of mind. I just want to know is that the range what OEM charge these days?

I am attaching a pic of the beauty and working on detailed experience post for possibly next month.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
OEM vs Branded Spare Parts from the after-market-point-blur_sep112022_175845.jpg  

Old 24th September 2022, 17:51   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperbNavigator View Post
Hi guys,

I have been quoted 36000 INR by Skoda Service to replace front shock absorbers. I saw on bodomo they are quite less. But I do want piece of mind. I just want to know is that the range what OEM charge these days?

I am attaching a pic of the beauty and working on detailed experience post for possibly next month.

Thank you
Did you search for the exact OEM part from Boodmo?
If yes, How much is the price difference?

I have got OEM parts like shock absorbers, ignition coils, spark plugs, i.e. major OEM parts from Boodmo for a price comparatively less compared to what authorized service centers were asking, and as far as I know the parts were genuine OEM and they are doing the job.
ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 18:04   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Did you search for the exact OEM part from Boodmo?
Thank you for update.
How can I do that? should I ask SA to give me exact part number?

Thank you
Old 25th September 2022, 04:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
How can I do that? should I ask SA to give me exact part number?
You can ask SA about the exact part number or you can figure it out on oriparts.com.

You can check 'oriparts.com' and select the 'Manufacturer' and then narrow down to year and model of the car to get to the page where its shows those diagrams of various parts of the car to get to the right page where it should show you the shock absorbers. This website shows all parts along with their part numbers.

On boodmo for manufacturer Skoda, you can click 'Search By Vehicle'. It will ask you to mention 'Car Maker', 'Model Line', 'Year', 'Modification'. Once you select that, usually a button 'OEM catalog' is highlighted. Click it and it redirects to 'oriparts.com' , and that webpage has all parts with their associated part numbers.

Last edited by ritedhawan : 25th September 2022 at 04:27.
ritedhawan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:33   #68
BHPian

I was looking for aftermarket suspension parts for my Nissan X Trail in Bangalore. ZF group has a few brands - Sachs, TRW, Lemforder available as aftermarket products. I could not get from the forum details of genuine dealers for these in Karnataka. Contacted ZF and got the contact details of the Karnataka Area Sales Manager Mr. Gajendra Bhatkar - +91 97392 68381. He is open to receiving enquires from members.

Disclaimer: I have no association with ZF group.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks