Team-BHP - Pain in left leg while driving. Is the AT responsible?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Pain in left leg while driving. Is the AT responsible? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/208028-pain-left-leg-while-driving-responsible.html)

Hi folks,
Don't know what would be the right place to post this hence posting it here.
I recently bought a pre owned BMW GT 2014. The vehicle is in first class condition.
I have been driving manual transmissions from almost 18 years now, and suddenly have moved to an auto transmission.
Now problem is I have started experiencing my sciatic nerve pain from the hip to below my thigh above the knee in the left leg. Surprisingly, this leg is always on the dead pedal, so that shouldn't have pained. I did a lot of research on this and the only explanation is that since the right leg is doing most of the job, the torso is twisted putting pressure on the left side.

I've tried various seat positions but nothing seems to be helping. I'm really worried. I would like to know if there are other folks using automatic cars and are facing this kind of issue. Is there anything that you suggest or you did to solve this problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Your problem is medical, not technical. I drive both AT and MT, and I have a disc bulge since last year. Get treated for your spinal problem, you mostly have a disc bulge, which only a MRI can reveal.

Sciatic nerve pain is due to medical condition like bulged/slipped/herniated spinal disc. Get treated for it first. After that you have to start sitting upright in office, home and car.

Agree with Samurai. I have mild sciatic pain too (mild disc bulge at L5-S1) but the problem needs to be assessed by a Doctor before you can associate it with your car's transmission. I take care to make sure I get lumbar back support and do not drive for over 3-4 hours at a stretch without taking a break. Also, ones standing and sitting posture make a big difference, especially when combined with the correct exercises.

This is new to me.

Are the risks minimised if one drives an SUV instead?

I drive only automatics, and have had acute sciatic nerve pains in a couple of occasions over the last few years.
But to equate sciatic nerve pain with driving automatics may not be correct.
I have consulted the doctor and he has suggested that I change my lifestyle, i.e, sitting for long hours in a chair - which unfortunately may not be an option for me as I am in the IT industry . So I try the next best thing and try to take a stroll every now and then, and also take the stairs instead of the elevators.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirits999 (Post 4567327)

I've tried various seat positions but nothing seems to be helping. I'm really worried. I would like to know if there are other folks using automatic cars and are facing this kind of issue. Is there anything that you suggest or you did to solve this problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi. Your problem as mentioned above is medical. And this does not happen overnight. You probably have a herniated disc, or bulging disc or something similar. Since you can still drive your problem is still in the early stage. Get an MRI of Lumar spine done. Its painless and takes about 20 minutes. After this see a good doctor.

Regarding the seating position, its because of the lower seating of the BMW and not because of idle left leg. If you drive higher cars like SUV's and sit upright, you will be more comfortable.

Take action before it's too late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz (Post 4567424)
Get an MRI of Lumar spine done. Its painless and takes about 20 minutes. After this see a good doctor. Regarding the seating position, its because of the lower seating of the BMW and not because of idle left leg. If you drive higher cars like SUV's and sit upright, you will be more comfortable.

+1

I went in for an x-ray and on Doctor's advice had a MRI scan which clearly revealed the issue in the lower back. According to the Doc this is common for IT folks like me who remain seated for hours on end on chairs that are not very ergonomically designed. That said, I have always taken a break every 30 minutes to encourage circulation to the legs & feet plus relieve any pressure on the lower back even before this problem occurred.

@spirits999 - I think it is essential to get the correct treatment at the earliest because back problems and sciatica get worse over time if not managed correctly. Age is also a major factor. Also, avoid lifting heavy weights and bending forward at the waist, instead bend at the knees & crouch down. Your doctor will advise you further. Ingress and egress from low slung cars will cause more discomfort, you can consider buying vehicles with a high seating position for e.g. SUVs.

Quote:

Hi folks,
I recently bought a pre owned BMW GT 2014.
Now problem is I have started experiencing my sciatic nerve pain from the hip to below my thigh above the knee in the left leg. I would like to know if there are other folks using automatic cars and are facing this kind of issue

Hi Dude, EXACTLY my problem. I Drive a LOT (=6000km per month). Used to have Hyundai i20 manual which has no/negative Lumbar support where my back pain started. 6 months back, bought a pre-owned 320D which is in pristine condition.
However, my lower back pain got severe and turned into Sciatic nerve pain with L5-S1 Disk Bulge. Got diagnosed last week and doctor advised for 4 weeks strict bed rest which I'm currently in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by voldemort (Post 4567399)
Are the risks minimised if one drives an SUV instead?

This is what I'd like to know too as my dad is seriously blaming the low driving position of 3 series, planning to sell it off and replace it with an SUV :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz (Post 4567424)
Regarding the seating position, its because of the lower seating of the BMW and not because of idle left leg. If you drive higher cars like SUV's and sit upright, you will be more comfortable

Are you sure about it that the low driving position is what causing this? I've been actually searching over the internet on this topic but unfortunately, couldn't get much information regarding the same. I'd love to have some concrete information on this before taking any action.
it's very hard for me to let go off that 3 series as I bought it just 6 months ago after dreaming about it for almost 3 years

Any experts can throw some light on this one please?

Thanks in advance.

This is an eye opener for me. I have had exactly these symptoms of what I now realize is sciatic nerve pain. Had shown up when I was driving long distances. But it only happened 2-3 times and since then have not felt any pain. Should I still get it checked?

Would the fact that in an AT car, one leg is pretty much stationary while the other is rapidly moving aggravate symptoms of those who already have this issue?

Relating the automatic/dead pedal driving to the cause of back/physiological pain is not entirely true.
The main problem, as cited by others, is how one adjusts or seats in low slung cars over long period of travel times.

It is very much possible that continuous travels (either long travels at one go or multiple trips on daily basis, just citing example) along with road/car vibrations + car swaying pressures + improper seat bolstering etc. coupled with non-active lifestyle can potentially result in building up chronic stress on your lower back.

In fact, dead pedal found in AT powered cars actually help in alleviating this pain/stress.

Check out this article.

Quote:

Hi folks,
Don't know what would be the right place to post this hence posting it here.
I recently bought a pre owned BMW GT 2014. The vehicle is in first class condition.
I have been driving manual transmissions from almost 18 years now, and suddenly have moved to an auto transmission.
Now problem is I have started experiencing my sciatic nerve pain from the hip to below my thigh above the knee in the left leg. Surprisingly, this leg is always on the dead pedal, so that shouldn't have pained. I did a lot of research on this and the only explanation is that since the right leg is doing most of the job, the torso is twisted putting pressure on the left side.

Mate you mirror my problem!! This is something even I find while driving automatics and can get a bit uncomfortable! I try to slide down the seat a bit, sit straight etc.. but at times the pinching pain is just too sharp!

However, in my case, having undergone a surgery for disc bulge in 2015 (yes, it was too bad and I slowly started loosing sensation on my left leg), I attributed the sharp pain I encounter while driving to the inherent medical condition I have. Not sure if its got to do with the way I drive. Though I used to drive automatics occasionally (overseas), switched to fully automatic from 2017, drive a Ciaz autobox.

Hello all,
Interestingly this topic is not a very uncommon one.
A few observations...
Yes I'm aware it is not a technical problem, but a medical one. However it's got something to do with the left side now suddenly being unused, which turns the torso to one side and which is why the pain has started.

Secondly, my distances are very less.. just about 12km daily.
Some people have quoted that it will go over time.
I'm more keen on adjusting my perfect driving posture and it will help if people can focus with how did they resolve the issue. So something that is helping me a bit recently is, I have been faking a clutch press on the dead pedal... Gives a bit of relief just by doing it a few times and the pain is not as bad as it used to be. I have also been adjusting the seat everyday hoping that I'll hit the sweet spot someday...

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhav14 (Post 4567501)
Are you sure about it that the low driving position is what causing this? I've been actually searching over the internet on this topic but unfortunately, couldn't get much information regarding the same. I'd love to have some concrete information on this before taking any action.
it's very hard for me to let go off that 3 series as I bought it just 6 months ago after dreaming about it for almost 3 years

You did not get my point. Your back issue is not mainly because of the car. There are various reasons for getting a disc bulge or something similar. Eg, Age, weak core muscles, incorrect posture, lifting heavy weights, jumping hard etc.

Low driving position in any sports car will aggravate the situation. Just imagine - If you sit upright (eg. SUV like Scorpio) with your thighs parallel to the ground /floor, the stress on the lower back is reduced. Now sit in any car with a lower seating, where your thighs are slightly at a higher angle, the stress on the back is increased. In addition by pressing the brake and accelerator the strain is even more increased.

I'm not telling you to sell your car and go for a SUV. What you can do is get yourself treated and then resort to full fledged driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhav14 (Post 4567501)
Hi Dude, EXACTLY my problem. I Drive a LOT (=6000km per month). Used to have Hyundai i20 manual which has no/negative Lumbar support where my back pain started. 6 months back, bought a pre-owned 320D which is in pristine condition.

Hi Madhav,
May be there are a few seat wedges that are available online that you can try. It will increase the height of your position from the floor. May help. Even a pillow for the time being may help.

I have well over 15 years experience with ATs, so may be able to help. Basically with an AT your left leg is lazy. The most important thing is to keep moving it. Also, having an idle pedal is often a big help since it stops you keeping your foot at a bad angle. All my cars have (and had) these pedals.