Team-BHP - Driving in the Rains - Tips
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Driving in the Rains - Tips (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/20950-driving-rains-tips-14.html)

During rain, are we supposed to turn on the hazard lights while in motion? stupid:

@swift8847 - hazard lights should be used when your car is a (potential) hazard to others.

If you think that rains will make your driving hazardous, for other road users please do not hesitate to use them. ;-)

@santhosh,i think we are talking of the same thing.I agree with you on that.
@ unni have you found a solution for your issue.
I have heard ,when talking to some service people that a kind of fungus appear on the outside of the glass and that too create problems during rains.
ram

use your rear fogs, if your car has them :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 1317326)
@ unni have you found a solution for your issue.I have heard ,when talking to some service people that a kind of fungus appear on the outside of the glass and that too create problems during rains.
ram

I bought and installed Bosch wipers. The windscreen was washed with shampoo and then with Mr Muscle, a glass cleaning solution. It has not rained in B'lore yet. So, waiting for that!!!!

Anyways, I'm driving down to Alleppey on wednesday, with the rains there, I'm sure I will find which suggestion works for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarVegabond (Post 1316136)
I have seen many times the tourist bus drivers and truck drivers using the news paper as well as some leaves of some specific tree (i do not rememeber which one) . They first pour lot of watter on the windshild and then use the paper/leaves to wipe it off. They told me that it is the best and the cheapest way to clean the windshild.

I am not sure about the leaves, but newspapers definitely help clean the glass and I use them all the time especially while driving on the highway. Newspaper + diluted shampoo is a great combination for windshields.

What I think it does is it helps remove all the grease / oil from the windshield that gets accumulated due to exhaust fumes etc and hence the glass becomes squeaky clean. It also does not leave any residue that you sometimes find after you have used a dirty piece of cloth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by umang dutt (Post 1317832)
I am not sure about the leaves, but newspapers definitely help clean the glass and I use them all the time especially while driving on the highway. Newspaper + diluted shampoo is a great combination for windshields.

What I think it does is it helps remove all the grease / oil from the windshield that gets accumulated due to exhaust fumes etc and hence the glass becomes squeaky clean. It also does not leave any residue that you sometimes find after you have used a dirty piece of cloth.

agree: I use newspaper and tobacco. Definitely helps the water to flow down once it hits the windshield. Using a cloth leaves behind an 'impression of water droplets'(for lack of a better word). You will never get it with a newspaper.
And one more thing, after rubbing the windshield with tobacco and washing it off, you don't need to wipe the water off the windshield. It will still be clear

hey guys,
I have a new problem. The place i park my car is prone to flooding. The water level does not really reach even till the bottom of the door, but it is parked on the street and so when any vehicle passes by, the waves generated allow the water to seep in.

During a heavy rain 2 days back, there was about 1/2 inch water on the floor on one side of the car (which was exposed to the street). I removed a lot of water, but some of it still remained in between the carpet and the actual metal floor.

Now, my question is, is there any vent below, on the steel floor that i can open and let the remaining water out?

Heres another tip that might be useful :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1425538

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep_bang (Post 1318879)
Now, my question is, is there any vent below, on the steel floor that i can open and let the remaining water out?

deep_bang,

From your profile picture, I assume that you have an i10. I am not sure if the i10 has drain plugs on the floor panels. However, you should remove the seats (can be unbolted) and then remove the entire carpet and let the car stand in the sun to have the entire area dried out.

Also, thoroughly dry out the carpet in the sun before putting it back in.

Any dampness on the carpets will lead to mould formation and an unhealthy environment inside the car not to mention corrosion of the floor panels.

Try and park your car in a different area so that this doesn't happen again. Constant dampness inside will accelerate corrosion.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
gpa

Hi Guys,

Some of our family members are allergic to Ac. Some times during rainy season we are bound to travel with such members for one or the other reason where we can't tell them to stay back. In such situation is there any way to defog with out using AC.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navan49 (Post 1613364)
Hi Guys,

Some of our family members are allergic to Ac. Some times during rainy season we are bound to travel with such members for one or the other reason where we can't tell them to stay back. In such situation is there any way to defog with out using AC.

Thanks.

I have a Rain X defogger that I have used to the windshield, side and rear glasses in the car. It help minimise fog.

My bit to the "Driving in the Rains - Tips"

It is better to combine braking with gears to prevent the car from skidding on wet slippery roads. Pressing the clutch and braking is not advised. Of course cars with ABS require less of the above actions.

Quote:

Hi Guys,
In such situation is there any way to defog with out using AC.
Thanks.

You can rotate the knob to red i.e heater and start the AC. That will defog without cooling the inside of the car. you can rotate the knob to a comfortable position depending upon the requirements of the occupants. I am not sure if there is any other way to defog without using AC.

Quote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks.

Get the door visors installed. With this you can keep the glass open just enough so that it ventilates and temperature stabilises.:thumbs up