Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2019, 13:51   #1

Honda Civic - Issue with the power steering rack

So my 8th gen Civic has finally started showing signs of ageing.
During the last checkup at ASS, a power steering oil/fluid leak has been detected from the rack, and I was told that the Power Steering rack needs to be changed. ASS at Bangalore quoted around 80k for the change :(
Any idea if the rack can be rebuilt or repaired? What are my options to get this leak fixed without resorting to expensive ASS solution?
The leak is getting worse, the reservoir gets almost empty every 100km.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2019 at 08:11. Reason: Typo
vivc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 14:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda Civic - Issue with the power steering rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivc View Post
So my 8th gen Civic has finally started showing sings of ageing.
During the last checkup at ASS, a power steering oil/fluid leak has been detected from the rack, and I was told that the Power Steering rack needs to be changed. ASS at Bangalore quoted around 80k for the change :(
Any idea if the rack can be rebuilt or repaired? What are my options to get this leak fixed without resorting to expensive ASS solution?
It is a known issue with the 8th Gen Civic. The rack may be repaired but Honda will not do it for you and will push for a complete rack change. You will need to take it to a competent FNG where they will change the rubber seals inside the pump, which are the most likely culprit. Or you may look for reputed after market replacement pump which are a lot cheaper than the given quote.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 15:43   #3

Thanks Saket!
Any idea on a good mechanic to get this done in Bangalore?
Old 22nd June 2019, 16:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Imagine you are driving and enjoying the Civic on a highway at 110 kms per hour. Now imagine your steering suddenly not working as expected.

You should have your answer to the above question with the picture in your head.

Steering, brakes and tyres. Get the best ones possible. A civic has a few major known repairs. The car is fantastic otherwise. I would not risk a steering repair.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:24   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Civic - Issue with the power steering rack

Almost every Civic I know of has faced this issue. Am surprised Honda hasn't issued a recall for what is so obviously a manufacturing defect. It had come up in my car and I got it fixed by Sunil Shanbagh for 4,000 bucks or so (was quoted 50 grand by the Honda dealer in 2012).

Just ensure you get a top notch guy to fix it for you. Look for recommendations in the Team-BHP Directory.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I do have a 2008 Civic. I just had a word with my FNG Harish (from Pride Cars, you can check out his details from TBHP directory as well) and he says the rack can be repaired and could cost around 10 to 12k with 6 months warranty. He said he has done it for Civic & Accord. If you want, please PM me I can share his contact.

I have got work done on my Civic and Punto from him and find him to be quite reliable and honest when it comes to advice on part replacement or work to be carried.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 13:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
My dad owned this car for a good 7 years and faced the same issue twice during ownership. It's a rubber washer (O-Ring) that is the issue. My dad was quoted around 70000 the first time, we didn't get it repaired as my dad was very skeptical about getting repairs done at that particular dealership as they once lied to us about having changed our engine mounts. So, we decided to get a second opinion and sent it to a mechanic near our house and he repaired it for around 1500 bucks. I suggest you take it to any mechanic who knows his way around the car. The dealer was replacing the entire unit in our case.
After the incident we never went back to the dealer for any service/repairs. We sent it to a local garage, the guy maintained it till we sold the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Almost every Civic I know of has faced this issue. Am surprised Honda hasn't issued a recall for what is so obviously a manufacturing defect.
I feel the same because a close friend faced the same issue a year later.
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks