Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:44   #1
BHPian

3rd-gen Honda City : Airbag warning light

Hello,

I need a little help with my G3 honda city 2010. I have been using it for nearly 10 years and it has been flawless so far. In fact extremely uneventful to own and a pleasure to drive.

Now coming to my issue. As you are aware about the recent extremely heavy rains in Mumbai over past 2-3 days, My car was submerged in water till the tyre. Since all of this happened well in the night there was no time to do anything or take car to safety . In the morning my carpets were all wet and so were base of seats. The cup holder in front of my gear stick had water in in it.
If there was more water over the night due to tide and it has lessened when i woke up in the morning then i am not aware.

Anyway i let the dry fully, checked Oil levels to ensure no water in Oil. All was ok. But now when i start the car i get this Airbag warning light. I think this is related to some Airbag sensor somewhere.

What would you suggest i can do now. Note that the base carpets are still a bit wet and it stinks like mad. I drove the car for a few Kms and all looks fine. Where would be this sensor or Airbag ECU be placed in the Honda city. Is it under carpet, near bumper or under steering.

Claiming insurance or going to authorized garage is ideally not what i want to do as first option. On a 10 year old car which in my opinion is working flawlessly there is a good chance that they will find half the car not working to ensure an inflated bill. Nothing personal against them, it is just how this industry works which i have made peace with.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd-gen Honda City : Airbag warning light-img_5294.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2019, 12:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 3rd-gen Honda City : Airbag warning light

This is deja vu for me!

My father's '10 City took a bath in Gurgaon some years back; there was water in the cabin up to the seat bottom. All this while he was in traffic; drove the car home. The airbag light promptly came up on the dashboard.

We had to change the airbag sensor; cost about 6k. The car spent about two months at the service centre: mainly for drying the carpets and interiors.

Three years on, no sign or scars from that incident.

Caution: inspect the wheel well thoroughly and ensure it is completely dry.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 13:54   #3
BHPian

Hi Manish,

This had happened with my 3rd Gen City as well. The issue is with the Airbag sensor as mentioned by 'libranof1987'. It was fixed by Honda ASS by re-wiring/connecting the sensor. It so happens that the wires connected to the sensor tend to go a bit loose with time and this is what triggers the warning light on the Dash. I will see if I can find the photo of the same which I had taken when the service guy was fixing it.

If I recall correctly, this was on the LHS of the front bumper for me.

Hopefully, the re-wiring can fix the issue instead of getting a new sensor.

Thanks,
aghate
aghate is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:57   #4
BHPian

Hello Aghate,

Please try if you can locate the picture as it would help with fixing the issue. Thanks to libranof1987 as well. Will ensure wheel well is clean. Luckily didn't drive through the water so its not really that dirty.
Old 3rd July 2019, 21:57   #5
BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen Honda City : Airbag warning light

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Hello Aghate,

Please try if you can locate the picture as it would help with fixing the issue. Thanks to libranof1987 as well. Will ensure wheel well is clean. Luckily didn't drive through the water so its not really that dirty.
I am unable to locate the image in my back-ups. Below is the image I sourced from Google. The two wires at the top of the sensor come loose that triggers the warning. These need to be reconnected and taped and that is what was done for my car to resolve the issue.

aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 18:02   #6
BHPian

Hello All,

I just wanted to update here about this problem. My problem has been fixed. What i needed to do is replace the SRS Controller. For benefit of fellow members i am attaching pictures of replaced parts.

The issue was traced to the controller itself and not any of the sensors or Seat belts . When the OBD2 scan tool was connected, it would not communicate to the SRS system at all. This normally points to controller problem.

Now since my car is over 9 years old, going for authorised garage or Honda channel would be expensive. Insurance will have high deductions for car this old. The Srs controller itself is about 28.5 K MRP on the box.

Thankfully it is very easy to get genuine Honda parts at a fraction of the costs. Also had a bearing sound coming in after the flood which was traced to the Tensioner Bearing Assembly. This was changed and also was the alternator belt.

The work was done by my FNG guy who now works with Fiat Authorised garage in Kandivali Mumbai - RS Motors. Big shout to Ashish Bhatt over there. He has been taking care of our cars for a while now. The cars go wherever he goes. So if he switches job, i tend to send car where he is. All decent garages have now got good scan tools so it is easy to trace and fix a problem.

It cost me less than 15K to do everything, parts and labour including carpets removal and cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd-gen Honda City : Airbag warning light-tensioner_bearing.jpg  

3rd-gen Honda City : Airbag warning light-srs_bad.jpg  

manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 12:20   #7

Quote:
Hello All,

I just wanted to update here about this problem. My problem has been fixed. What i needed to do is replace the SRS Controller. For benefit of fellow members i am attaching pictures of replaced parts.

The issue was traced to the controller itself and not any of the sensors or Seat belts . When the OBD2 scan tool was connected, it would not communicate to the SRS system at all. This normally points to controller problem.

Now since my car is over 9 years old, going for authorised garage or Honda channel would be expensive. Insurance will have high deductions for car this old. The Srs controller itself is about 28.5 K MRP on the box.

Thankfully it is very easy to get genuine Honda parts at a fraction of the costs. Also had a bearing sound coming in after the flood which was traced to the Tensioner Bearing Assembly. This was changed and also was the alternator belt.

The work was done by my FNG guy who now works with Fiat Authorised garage in Kandivali Mumbai - RS Motors. Big shout to Ashish Bhatt over there. He has been taking care of our cars for a while now. The cars go wherever he goes. So if he switches job, i tend to send car where he is. All decent garages have now got good scan tools so it is easy to trace and fix a problem.

It cost me less than 15K to do everything, parts and labour including carpets removal and cleaning.
Hi manishkapadia

I have faced the exact same issue with my Honda City 4th gen 2018 V model. It was parked in a colony in Delhi, and it probably rained heavily throughout the night. When I woke up in the morning and inspected the car, there was no water around the car but the area was wet. But inside the car, there was standing water on all the floor mats and even some of the seats also got wet. In my case, the cup holders did not get wet but most of the car was wet because of moisture being built up.

I took the car to a nearby garage to get the water out, and faced the same issue (SRS warning light). Took it to the Honda service centre and they also traced the problem back to the SRS Controller. Long story short, I'm getting it replaced through insurance (Honda had told me the cost would be 25k). For me, when I was driving the car initially after this wet episode, the Check Engine light also used to turn on intermittently and in one particular incidence, the Check Engine, SRS, ABS, Handbrake and Power Steering lights turned on for a while but then switched off again. Since then, only the SRS light used to turn on which has now been corrected as well. I informed Honda about the same but upon scanning, they only found an error for SRS. Wanted to check if you faced any other issues after getting this repair done?

Also regarding the wet carpets, did you get them replaced or just removing and drying did the trick and remove the odour completely?
Old 1st September 2020, 22:48   #8
BHPian

Hello WaroonC

If you have other lights also turning on then you need to get other things also checked. It should not happen that you have other faulty sensors or the main ECU also failing.

The wet carpets i did not replace, the garage removed them , cleaned , dried and put them back. There was no smell . Its a good 1 year since i had to do this repair and i have not had the problem again. The car will turn 11 years old in sometime and still runs like a dream. Just did a 400 KMS drive yesterday.
Old 1st September 2020, 23:35   #9

Quote:
Hello WaroonC

If you have other lights also turning on then you need to get other things also checked. It should not happen that you have other faulty sensors or the main ECU also failing.

The wet carpets i did not replace, the garage removed them , cleaned , dried and put them back. There was no smell . Its a good 1 year since i had to do this repair and i have not had the problem again. The car will turn 11 years old in sometime and still runs like a dream. Just did a 400 KMS drive yesterday.
That's great to know!

I had informed the Honda service centre about the other lights, but they did the scan and didn't find any other issues. I am yet to get the car back from the centre (its been 10 days because of insurance formalities) but I guess those lights are not turning on now either. I asked them to remove and dry the carpet too, so lets hope that solves the odour issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks