Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2019, 15:43   #1
BHPian

Mercedes E-Class : Alternator repair

Hello, my brother in law's 2003 W240 E Class has a problem with the alternator and the replacement is 1.2L and upward. Was wondering if anyone is aware of a garage that can overhaul his alternator? Any connections will help. We are in Chennai but location is not a constraint. He is flying to Kuala Lumpur to get a replacement but is finding remanufacured ones. I tried searching in the US but this model is not available there. Looked in Germany cursorily too and couldn't find this old version. Any pointers to a site or region where I can get this will be helpful too.
This is the part nunber I received.
1.ALTERNATOR PART NO.A01415401028.
2.ELECTRONIC CONT PART NO.A2115404245.

Mercedes E-Class : Alternator repair-img20190707wa0003.jpg

Couldn't find a thread on this so posting a new one. Please merge if I have missed it.
Old 7th July 2019, 17:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mercedes E-Class : Alternator repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hello, my brother in law's 2003 W240 E Class has a problem with the alternator and the replacement is 1.2L and upward. Was wondering if anyone is aware of a garage that can overhaul his alternator? Any connections will help. We are in Chennai but location is not a constraint. He is flying to Kuala Lumpur to get a replacement but is finding remanufacured ones.
Which part of this alternator has failed? You don't need to replace. Just get the spares. Nearly every part of the alternator can be purchased separately including brushes, regulator, rectifier AND stator or rotor windings. The only time you MAY have to consider getting a new alt. is if the housing is damaged. Please get it evaluated by a good auto electrician and identify the point(s) of failure and purchase replacement parts. It will cost you a fraction of a new or refurbished piece.

BTW remanufactured alternators are not bad, they are just refurbished alternators and the most common option of replacing the alt. assembly. They cost far less than brand new ones.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th July 2019 at 17:07.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 10:48   #3
BHPian

As an update on this, apparently the part number of the alternator has changed. The new part number for the alternator is 013 154 82 02 and my brother in law got it from euro parts. Unfortunately he is the replace kind of guy and does not believe in repair. He ran up quite a bill for me when he rebuilt my qualis as he got rid of many parts that I would have liked to retain like the windshield, door hinges etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks