Team-BHP - Safari DICOR: which Air Filter version is new
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Safari DICOR: which Air Filter version is new (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/21150-safari-dicor-air-filter-version-new.html)

Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused as to which version is latest and which is old.

I bought a safari dicor in oct-06. When i took the car for inspection to service centre they told me:

1.) The air filter is old version and need to be retrofitted.
2.) How did he identify this: he told me that in the new assembly, there is a direct connection from air filter to EGR which was absent earlier. This ensures that EGR also gets oxygen so better combustion and low emission.
3.) Thus i was given a new assembly with a connection between air filter and EGR. the changes were: a.) EGR changed from "Padmini" make in green color to "Bosch" germany, black in color. b.) air filter changed

Here is my problem now:

1.) I saw the 2007 safari which is supposed to be the latest version with no flaws and saw that there is no connection between EGR and air filter i.e. the same thing as i had when i took the delivery. Neither there is a connection between the two and the EGr is "Padmini" green in color.

2.) Now i am confused as to what is the ideal thing??????

I am also told that my Padmini EGR was progressive type which is old technology and the Bosch EGR is on/off type which is better.

Now the question is that if it is really better, then why does the 2007 safari has a progressive EGR. or is that green color Padmini EGR is a progressive or on/off type.

There is utter confusion.

Can somebody please help. Steeroid, do u have any idea??

Regards

Rajeev

Hi Raj

Did you notice any improvements after the same...
Has your smoke emmission come down or what ?

Mine is also a Oct06 KTZ series Dicor and whilst first service they did say anything about retrofits or so ?

Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajismine (Post 369474)
Can somebody please help. Steeroid, do u have any idea??

I cannot since I'm out of touch with my vehicle - I'll bring this to the notice of someone who can help, though!

Raj

I think I understand and see the thing you have mentioned. Its there in my Dicor as well. There is a small black pipe which is kind of extension though the EGR is of Green Color (padmini type and not bosh as black one)

PS: Any one knows how to check whether its functional or not ?

Strange, Its not present in the 2007 Dicor, Did TATA change something else.. I heard from the workshop that there is a new ECU update going around, which is little flexi in getting the data, ( i am not remebering.. but to take care of something similar having CEL in dicor and not starting up and service guys playing around with something under the pulley) and its supposed to take care of that and few host of other things.what the heck is tata doing :confused:

the problem is that:

1.) On some vehicles, during retrofit they have changed only the air filter and thus we can see a new connection,"pipe" from air filter to EGR. SOme have been given new Bosch EGR and some have green Padmini EGR
2.) However if this was an upgrade required, why dont we see this in the 2007 safari. Now what we have been given is really an upgrade or downgrade?

You will notice, as is the case with me, that after this mod the smoke has increased.

The 2007 safari and even 2006 safaris without this upgrade/downgrade, give out absolutely "ZERO" smoke even at an rpm of 3500.

Either TATAs are crazy that they dont explain what difference these things technically make to the vehicle. I infact doubt if they themselves know this..

Who can help us here is now the QUESTION.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajismine (Post 372462)
2.) However if this was an upgrade required, why dont we see this in the 2007 safari. Now what we have been given is really an upgrade or downgrade?

Depends on whether the "2007" vehicle was indeed manufactured in 2007, or was it old stock from the pre-upgrade days?

Desert Fox thinks the Padmini or whatever (green) EGR is crap.

I've had the new upgrade installed (v1p3r will have details) and I have no problem with smoke (except that I cant give up smoking myself).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 372474)
Depends on whether the "2007" vehicle was indeed manufactured in 2007, or was it old stock from the pre-upgrade days?

Desert Fox thinks the Padmini or whatever (green) EGR is crap.

I've had the new upgrade installed (v1p3r will have details) and I have no problem with smoke (except that I cant give up smoking myself).

Well I guess Apart from the spurious Diesel the EGR switch may also be malfuntioning (crap Green colored thing) and I really think now that it maybe the root cause of this problem I am facing too with smoke..

v1p3r would it be possible for you to enlighten us with these details so that we can if possible can get things evened with the smokie dicors we are possesing

Cheers

Hey Steeroid,

I specifically checked it out. The new DICOR I am taking about was manufactured on 17th Jan 07

Erm, sorry guys, Tata called and I gave them the car. It came back. After a few days it smoked. I went and had a chat with them and they fixed it after dilly-dallying for almost a whole week. That's all I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 372784)
Erm, sorry guys, Tata called and I gave them the car. It came back. After a few days it smoked. I went and had a chat with them and they fixed it after dilly-dallying for almost a whole week. That's all I know.

v1p3r would it be possible for you to find out what they did to get rid of the smoke, as it may help us as well :)

Hey Guys,

an update. Last time when i went there with smoke issue, they had changes the BOSCH EGR after my request. They checked and the catalytic convertor was choaked with at least 200 gms of carbon. They cleaned it. They checked the sedimenter and the technician said that diesel was adultrated and had kerosene and hence the smoke issue.
After all this my car continued to smoke but was smoother.

I changed my petrol pump immediately 7 days back but the car was still smoking

However after 7 days now when I see, the smoke has come down by almost 80% and its amazing to see smoke reduced.

I guess the whole mess was because of bad fuel which would have
1.) created an issue with EGR because of excessive unburnt gases(kerosene) and
2.) Caused the catalytic convertor to choke.

however the thing is better now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajismine (Post 374169)
Hey Guys,

they had changes the BOSCH EGR after my request.However after 7 days now when I see, the smoke has come down by almost 80% and its amazing to see smoke reduced.
I guess the whole mess was because of bad fuel which would have
1.) created an issue with EGR because of excessive unburnt gases(kerosene) and
2.) Caused the catalytic convertor to choke.

however the thing is better now...

Raj

Did you get the EGR Valve Switch Replaced, the one which has electrical connections or the EGR Valve changed to BOSH make.?
Hmm that gives me pointers,, I guess Ill visit workshop this weekend to get the catcon cleaned , sedimeter & EGR checked.

I am also thinking of getting the fuel filter cleaned though....

nevertheless :Cheering: happy for your dicor becoming a NON SMOKER (atleast reduced)

Hi Rahul

1.) I got the Black Bosch EGR Changed. As the fuel has kerosene mixed, the unburnt gases would have been more which I ASSUMED would have screwed the EGR so got it changed
2.) catcon cleaning is a must. u must go for it.
3.) Sedimenter has some fuel which can give indication of any adultrant mixed. like kerosene or naphta
4.) Do get the fuel filter cleaned. I also got it done (forgot to mention earlier)

Hope this all helps

regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajismine (Post 374169)
an update. Last time when i went there with smoke issue, they had changes the BOSCH EGR after my request. They checked and the catalytic convertor was choaked with at least 200 gms of carbon. They cleaned it. They checked the sedimenter and the technician said that diesel was adultrated and had kerosene and hence the smoke issue.
After all this my car continued to smoke but was smoother.

Kerosene is normally filtered out by the Fuel Filter and when that is full the ECU shuts the engine down. Its happened to me twice before - on both occassions we had to remove the fuel filter and we found kerosene in it.

Raj
How much cost did you incur on these things
Rahul

1.) Black Bosch EGR Changed. As the fuel has kerosene mixed, the unburnt gases would have been more which I ASSUMED would have screwed the EGR so got it changed
2.) catcon cleaning
3.) Sedimenter has some fuel which can give indication of any adultrant mixed. like kerosene or naphta
4.) fuel filter cleaned.