Team-BHP - Swift : Battery 100% Dead : What to do?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Swift : Battery 100% Dead : What to do? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/21248-swift-battery-100-dead-what-do.html)

Hi,

Yesterday, when I parked my car at office around 5PM, I left my headlight on stupid: (I do use the head light in basement, irrespective of the time of the day). When i returned to get the car back to home around 11PM, and tried to open the door with my remote key was not reponded. then realised that the battery id fully discharged. Called 24/7 number but no one was picking the phone. Then with some of my collegues try to start the car, by pushing, as no one had the jump cables, but couldn't start the car.

Left the car in office and returned in friends car. Would request if you let me know

1. Will this 100% drainout of charge impact the MPFI functions?
2. Thinking of going back to office only on tuesday withMaruti service help, so is it fine if the car's electronic system to be in no power state for so long?
3. How safe is to jump start the car?
4. Does 100% discharge of battery requires a new battery.

The car is just 2 months old.

regards,
-manju

Never jump start an MPFI car. All its functions are governed by the ECU and no attempt should be made to alter this chain of command. You would also damage the exhaust/cat con. The power brakes and EPS also wouldnt work without the engine cranking up first

The best practise is the user jumper cables to another battery to start the car.

MPFI vehicles cannot be push started.. if I remember correctly.. there needs to be some current for in for injectors to Inject.... There shouldn't be any problems with Electricals as such... Jump starting is okay..

OMG. I thought Jump starting was connecting jumper cables and starting.... what is actually jump starting???

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 371591)
Never jump start an MPFI car. All its functions are governed by the ECU and no attempt should be made to alter this chain of command. You would also damage the exhaust/cat con. The power brakes and EPS also wouldnt work without the engine cranking up first

The best practise is the user jumper cables to another battery to start the car.

What you mean is "push-start". Swift manual gives jump-start instructions on page 9-2.

2. Thinking of going back to office only on tuesday withMaruti service help, so is it fine if the car's electronic system to be in no power state for so long?
>> Yes, it won't harm the car's electronic system if you keep the car idle, with a dead battery. But, I suggest you take a local mechanic with you to the office. Let him put in his spare battery, so that you can use the car over the weekend, and also go to the office on Monday. In the meantime, he'll re-charge your battery and give it back to you when it's ready (needs something like 10-12 hours of charging). Maruti Service station would just rip your money off, whereas your mechanic would do this for at most 100 bucks.

>> I dunno what jump-start means. If you are referring to pushing your car till it starts, that won't happen unless you have battery power. It's okay to do this, if you have a low battery, but I think, you cannot do this with a dead battery.

>> Nope, recharging should suffice.

And, BTW, you should consider buying the follow-me-home accessory. It shuts off the lights automatically after 1-2 minutes after the car is locked, so that you can safely find your way to the stairs in the dark. Or, just use the regular torch/torch in your mobile.

Hi,

Thanks for all the inputs. However, one question pop-up.

Does battery needs to be charged?

regards,
-manju

[quote=manjubp;371564]
1. Will this 100% drainout of charge impact the MPFI functions?
My Ans: Nothing will happen!
My Ans: As such there is no problem technically!! But aren't you concerned with the security aspect! Your car alarm (atleast) won't work if somebody try to steal your car!! Any body can put a battery and take the car away!! Tell the building security to take extra care of your car!
My Ans: :"Jump start" means - using another battery and lengthy cables to start the car??? If yes..its absolutely safe if done by a technician!!
"Jump start" means - pushing your car till it get started as you do in the older generation cars?!! If yes, don't even think of it! theMAG have already warned you about that. Also, one of my friend had a very bad experiance once! His timing got disturbed when timing wheel slipped a notch due to a week belt!!
My Ans: Not necessary!! You can use it after recharging it properly... better if you use new electrolyte!!

recharging the battery is sufficient ... it can be done overnight... during which they check the water level and all so almost your own battery can come into use...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartech (Post 371629)
What you mean is "push-start". Swift manual gives jump-start instructions on page 9-2.

My mistake, resultant of juggling multiple issues while posting at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjubp (Post 371564)
I left my headlight on

Do you have a Lxi version? "Head Light ON" indication is there in Vxi and above version. Saved me twice during daytimes.

[quote=nikkibike;371697]
Quote:

Originally Posted by manjubp (Post 371564)
My Ans: As such there is no problem technically!! But aren't you concerned with the security aspect! Your car alarm (atleast) won't work if somebody try to steal your car!! Any body can put a battery and take the car away!! Tell the building security to take extra care of your car!

The car has been parked inside the campus, with 24 hour security. The security has been updated/informed about the breakdown, and information that it will be taken out on Tuesday. In mean time I do have a cousin's Sumo to take care of weekend travels.
Thanks for the caution about security.

regards,
-manju

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 371778)
Do you have a Lxi version? "Head Light ON" indication is there in Vxi and above version. Saved me twice during daytimes.

I have VXi, however I believe I ignored the "Head light ON" warning stupid:

I think, I was too much into a customer meeting which was about to happen in an hour.

regards,
-manju

Park another car next to your swift, open the hood and connect +ve of that cars battery to your car;s battery and -ve to the -ve terminal.
Crank, and your car starts.
Its very simple.
Let it idle for about 30 minutes or just drive around at good revs for about half an hour or so and your car battery will be charged.
Alternatively you can spend some money and give the battery to a mechanic for charging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 372404)
Park another car next to your swift, open the hood and connect +ve of that cars battery to your car;s battery and -ve to the -ve terminal.
Crank, and your car starts.
Its very simple.
Let it idle for about 30 minutes or just drive around at good revs for about half an hour or so and your car battery will be charged.
Alternatively you can spend some money and give the battery to a mechanic for charging.

I will suggest a trip to battery dealer. They will check the condition and will tell you if it an hold charge. The cost is of the order of 20 Rs and take about 24 Hrs. Most of the dealers actually can give a spare battery until your battery is charged.