Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 19:46   #1
BHPian

Engine overheating, coolant getting empty while driving. Need short-term fix

Folks
I have a Mahindra Quanto.
I drove down from Bangalore to Pondicherry 3 days back and towards the end of the drive the engine started to overheat. On inspection saw the coolant was empty. Added some water and made it to Pondicherry.

In the last 2 days gave the car to the Mahindra service center here in Pondy. They checked the car for 2 days and found no leak. Finally they said that the thermostat valve was not functioning properly and that they have removed it as I have to drive down to Bangalore tomorrow. They said that because of the valve not functioning, the coolant must have overflowed.
However after driving for 25kms, unfortunately, I saw the same problem again.

Now, I need some advice on what the problem could be:
1. A leak that we have not yet identified.
2. Head gasket leaking and consuming coolant.
Anything else?

With all the experiments done to now, I am thinking it's more likely to be (2).

Now, is there is a way I can drive to Bangalore. While driving to Pondicherry I saw that filling the coolant tank with about 5 to 7 liters of water helped me run the car for about 40 kms by which time the coolant would empty.

I am thinking of driving down tomorrow keeping with me a few 25liter cans of water and adding water everytime the water is emptied (I can hear the fan sound for a longer duration when water is over even before the engine overheats).

Is it worth the risk?

If I really get stranded, is it possible to tow the car from the middle of the highway? Any suggestions?

It's crazy I know but there are some commitments in Bangalore which I would like to not miss. All I am asking is if I ensure that there is always water in the radiator, is that enough to ensure no permanent damage happens.

Another option is to go to Bangalore by bus and give the car here in Pondicherry for a deeper inspection. But my only concern is that follow up is very hard from Bangalore and I will need to come back to Pondicherry to collect the car again..
deep_bang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 19:55   #2
BHPian

re: Engine overheating, coolant getting empty while driving. Need short-term fix

With engine running, see if there is white smoke from the tail pipe. If it is there, then coolant is getting into the cylinder because of leak in head gasket. If not, then there must some leak in the coolant plumbing which could not be detected till now.

If former, then it is not advisable to drive long distance.
If latter, fill water and drive every forty or so kms.
fordday is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 20:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Engine overheating, coolant getting empty while driving. Need short-term fix

If you are going to be stopping every 40 km to fill up the radiator, it will be a very long drive indeed. Assuming you are willing to stop regularly and take the risk of engine damage due to overheating, a drive is possible. Another possibility if your budget permits it is to put the car on a flatbed/tow truck to Bangalore and take the bus. Thus you have the vehicle in Bangalore and following up on service is easier.

Assuming you do drive it, I guess the temperature gauge will need to be your best friend and must watch during the drive. Also, if possible, drive with the bonnet unlatched but not completely open. It will let a bit more air into the engine, which means it will be cooler.

The highway drive will permit the coolant to last longer than city driving, so try to time your drive to get into Bangalore at off-peak hours.

Lastly, try to get one of those covers used to open the radiator cap and prevent hot water/steam affecting you directly.

Sorry, no tips on what will prevent leakage. One possibility is to just replace the radiator cap and hope it helps prevent fluid loss.
pganapathy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It would not be 2,or else 4 litres of coolant or water in your engine would have seen a quanto ready for the scrap yard. There's some leakage, and your should first try the tank cap. That's the largest hole in the system, and may be the rubbers are failing.
It's not advisable to keep driving a car to over heat/cool down repeatedly. Something will definitely deform in the engine by a few mm and you'll throw a rod for sure.
mayankk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Another option is to go to Bangalore by bus and give the car here in Pondicherry for a deeper inspection. But my only concern is that follow up is very hard from Bangalore and I will need to come back to Pondicherry to collect the car again..
Seems to be the best option.

Yes, you can drive (an adventure) only if you are mechanically very sound. Further, irrespective of any opinions, damage might happen. Please remember only you can be a better judge as you have physically seen the condition.

Towing the car is possible, wherever you are stranded. But then the cost involved, time wasted, emotional distress just don’t justify the decision to drive.

If vitamin m is not a problem, get the car on a flat bed to Bangalore and get the work done.
Or else make a trip back to bring your repaired car. I know it’s irritating but then better than a misplaced adventure.
greendream is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My advice in that order:

1. Avoid driving it if you can. It can lead to engine seizure by overheating.

Next points if you must:

2. Use plain water. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge; that goes without saying.

3. Don’t use the air conditioner. In fact roll down the windows and keep the heater running.

4. Don’t drive with unsecured or unlatched bonnet. It can fly open at highway speeds. Ram air will help anyway.

5. Maintain engine rpm in a range where engine doesn’t feel strained.

6. Avoid bumper to bumper traffic conditions.

And please go through this wonderful article right here on TBHP which can be a lifesaver:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eats-road.html (What to do if your Engine Overheats on the road)

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 23:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Folks
2. Head gasket leaking and consuming coolant.
Anything else?
Is it worth the risk?
Does your radiator fill cap and your engine oil look normal or is there brown / clay colored foam / sludge on your fill cap and does the engine oil look weird ?

Is your water pump working - i.e. if you open your radiator cap (try this when the engine is COLD) and run the engine, does the liquid appear to me moving ?

If you have sludge / foam or your water pump appears to be not working then I would not drive the car and have it looked at again.

If you decide do drive, please check coolant frequently and be prepared for a long drive.
CrackedHead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 01:07   #8
BHPian

I second Saket77, he has summarized it very well. Avoid driving as much as possible.

My suggestion would be, take it to nearest service center and travel back another day.

This looks like a minor issue, may not be expensive to resolve. But if you choose to drive back and engine ceases, it is going to burn a hole in your pocket.

Tip: if no leak found, do check fan relay and fuse.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 1st October 2019 at 01:28.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 15:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine overheating, coolant getting empty while driving. Need short-term fix

Some leaks could manifest only when the coolant is hot and under pressure - driving conditions. And thus might not be seen on the workshop floor. I had one such in my Baleno in one of the hoses. Possibly the case here ?
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 16:27   #10
BHPian

Re: Engine overheating, coolant getting empty while driving. Need short-term fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Some leaks could manifest only when the coolant is hot and under pressure - driving conditions. And thus might not be seen on the workshop floor. I had one such in my Baleno in one of the hoses. Possibly the case here ?
A a pressure tester can also be used to check your cooling system. The tool is a little hand pump with a combination vacuum-pressure gauge and a fitting that is attached to the radiator filler neck. To check for leaks, attach the tool to the radiator and pressurize the radiator to the pressure rating on the radiator cap. If there are no leaks, the system should hold the set pressure for 10 to 15 minutes. If it does not hold pressure, the system is leaking. If you cannot see any visible leaks on the outside, it means the leak is inside (bad head gasket or leaking collant pump or cracked head or block). In such a case, it is best not to crank the engine, let alone drive the car.

Last edited by swissknife : 1st October 2019 at 16:29.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Keep an eye on after how many kms, the temp indicator starts going up. Keep a 40 liters water can and keep refilling and topping it up after approximately 1/2 the distance and reach Bangalore.

I dont see any risk if you follow above procedure. Don't forget to top up the water in the can wherever you get an opportunity
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 23:54   #12
BHPian

Thanks to all the replies folks. I was able to drive back to Bangalore. I had to fill water every 20 to 30 kms or so.it was a pain but at least I have my car with me safe and still running. Could not have done it without all your inputs. Thank you all!!!

While I don't recommend doing what I did, I had certain constraints because of which I took this risk. I certainly don't recommend anyone to run the car without coolant and top up with water every few kms.

Now to find the leak. Will get back with what I find.

Thanks again folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
With engine running, see if there is white smoke from the tail pipe. If it is there, then coolant is getting into the cylinder because of leak in head gasket. If not, then there must some leak in the coolant plumbing which could not be detected till now.
I could not observe any white smoke, but for the life of me neither I could nor the mechanic at Pondy identify the leak. So the issue still persists. Will take to my Mahindra guy tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Assuming you do drive it, I guess the temperature gauge will need to be your best friend and must watch during the drive.
Yup. Temp gauge was indeed the only feedback I had. Plus the sound of the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
There's some leakage, and your should first try the tank cap.
It does not look like the cap is leaking. But will investigate more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Further, irrespective of any opinions, damage might happen.
Agreed. I took a big risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
My advice in that order:
Thank you. Followed each of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Is your water pump working - i.e. if you open your radiator cap (try this when the engine is COLD) and run the engine, does the liquid appear to me moving?
Water pump is new and was changed a few months ago. Did not yet try to check if coolant is moving or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
My suggestion would be, take it to nearest service center and travel back another day.
I did take it to the Mahindra service but the issue is not fixed yet. Perhaps they needed more time but I had a time constraint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Some leaks could manifest only when the coolant is hot and under pressure - driving conditions. And thus might not be seen on the workshop floor. I had one such in my Baleno in one of the hoses. Possibly the case here?
May be. How did you figure it out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
A a pressure tester can also be used to check your cooling system.
Where can I get this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Keep an eye on after how many kms, the temp indicator starts going up. Keep a 40 liters water can and keep refilling and topping it up after approximately 1/2 the distance and reach Bangalore.
Did exactly that. Thank you.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd October 2019 at 17:43. Reason: back to back posts merged. EDIT: Quotes trimmed.
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:42   #13
Team-BHP Support

Check the water pump for leaks - usually rust signs.

You might be losing coolant through expansion. If there are no leaks, perhaps there is an air pocket or a kinked hose. To take care of the former, run the engine at rest with the radiator cap off.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Where can I get this?
While there are pressure testers available online, it may not be worth the while to buy one, since you may not find use for it often. Service centers should have this as part of their troubleshooting tools.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:03   #15
BHPian

I might be late to reply but here's a few points based on my experience:

1. If it is a small leak that the service centre is enable to detect, use a teaspoonful of turmeric powder in the tank. It works wonders in stopping small leaks. Not a permanent solution but can last your journey.

2. Happened to me twice: with the given symptoms that the fan is running longer than usual and the leak not being easily detected, it is in all probabilities the rubber elbow that is connected to the radiator.

Do check and let me know if any of these worked.

Cheers.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks