Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:07   #1
Team-BHP Support

which belt broke, and how much will it cost

Today while driving the car (Indica DLS, 75,000 done) there were lots of weird loud noises like things snapping etc,. and after that the power steering and brakes lost power. and there was a burning smell from engine bay, most probably entangled rubber.
After this crash bang engine was running fine, no smell no fire, just it would not deliver power to the steering and brakes, and had to use hand brake while limping home(this happened half km from home) and the steering also was very very hard due to no power assist.
Indica belts are sealed, so cant see which belt snapped, but I remember hearing that indica has one belt which drives AC/PS and other brakes and power stuff, maybe even the alternator!
Any Idea how much it costs? I plan to go to an authorized dealer(Sterling Noida), so maybe anyone of you has an idea about the costs?
Steer, SUV, DesertFox etc.,?
I am going tomorrow morning
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

The AC belt wont cost u much 1K max....
Dunno why the brakes are not functioning...!!

KP
Old 24th February 2007, 01:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

Indica has one belt for everything, which includes brakes, PS, etc., etc., Dunno whether alternator belt is separate.
Old 24th February 2007, 02:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of the time when my Proton left me high and dry after a belt snapped on a downhill slope - since it was automatic I couldnt do engine braking either. Your hydraulics are driven by a belt and its broken. How old is your vehicle and how many kms has it done? My Proton snapped at about 18,000 kms.
Old 24th February 2007, 07:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
How old is your vehicle and how many kms has it done? My Proton snapped at about 18,000 kms.
TSK's belt snapped at 75k kms which is quite an interval.

Tsk, didn't you hear a belt snap sound? If the belts are in a sealed location it could be dangerous to drive since the snapped belt might come into the pulley of some other driving belt.
Old 24th February 2007, 07:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for TASS - not expensive

Tanveer, have had this problem on my Marina at a running of 36.8K, while you have run 75K. The dealer said it was not out of place if I faced this problem at 36.8K running.

Items replaced:
2 "Poly V belts" [ possibly polyster V belts], costing 375.00 & 210.00
One pulley for the power steering pump - 169.00
0.2 litres of gear oil

All prices rounded off, bill was approx 1200.00 - From Prerana.

Last edited by condor : 24th February 2007 at 08:01.
Old 24th February 2007, 08:49   #7
SUV
BHPian

If i remember right the power steering run's on its own belt. The alternator and the fan have a common belt.

Sorry i dont have any idea about the cost.
Old 24th February 2007, 12:01   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wont cost you more than a couple of hundred bucks to replace the belt.

But dont you regularly service your car? If you do at the authorised service station, pull their necks out and ask why they havent changed it at the manufacturer specified interval.
Old 24th February 2007, 13:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

the power steering pump and the alternater is made one assembly in tata cars...but the brakes did not function........anyways all the work would take not more than 1k....
Old 24th February 2007, 14:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

has happened to me in my scorpio when my driver braked really hard. the brakes, steerign and aircon stopped to function.
the belt should not cost you more than a few hundreds though.

manson.
Old 24th February 2007, 14:24   #11
jp1
BHPian

It happened to me

My Bolero's belt was snapped at around 35000 kms and brake, a/c, water pump etc failed and engine got overheated when I was trying to drive slowly to get to the next service point. This happened after a full service at India garage. I think they did not tighten some belts properly. . The earlier Bolero had around 5 belts.
Old 24th February 2007, 19:59   #12
Team-BHP Support

OK guys here's the report.
The Alternator belt snapped.
It also controls the brakes and power steering apart from alternator.
So the car was without the hydraulics, limped to the service center using handbrake.
There was a loud sound while breaking, after which no sound, and the pulleys were missing the belt.
First thing I did on reaching the tata service center was to get a print out of service history.
The belt had been changed at 65,000kms which is schedules interval.
The reason for snapping was the alternator bearing which got jammed, and the alternator side pully stopped, with engine still running it blew the belt, luckily no damage to pulleys.
Total cost comes to around 1600rs which include around 550 in labour and rest in two bearning and the belt.
The downside is that when they change the alternator bearning, they anyways have to remove the belt, but still they charged me 350rs labour for the alternator bearning and 180rs labour for the belt change.
The job code for both the jobs is same, I am sending a mail to Tata about this.
Old 24th February 2007, 20:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

TSK, only the timing belt on the Indica is covered. Your regular belts are very much out there in the open. You should be able to pop the bonnet and see it easily. Should not cost you more than a couple of hundreds, including the labour.
OOps, just read your post a minute before mine.
By the way, your belt does not run the brakes. It runs the vacuum pump that provides the vacuum to your brake booster. Your brakes become very hard but are still usable.

Last edited by jyobeb : 24th February 2007 at 20:04.
Old 25th February 2007, 02:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The downside is that when they change the alternator bearning, they anyways have to remove the belt, but still they charged me 350rs labour for the alternator bearning and 180rs labour for the belt change.
The job code for both the jobs is same, I am sending a mail to Tata about this.
Welcome to the world of Tata CRM-DMS! If iam not mistaken,there may be a small charge for "waste" as well!

Earlier they used to charge you a lump-sum for the job,now the labour cost is spread/split to show more job and (apparently)same money.

Good you have sent a letter to TATA,spliting a job code for a single job into two charges is a point which needs some reasoning or logic.
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:39   #15
BHPian

Re: which belt broke, and how much will it cost

Bumping up this very old thread for posting my query on a different car, since I did not find an appropriate existing thread.

Car in question - Corolla Altis Petrol (1ZZ FE).

Facts -

1. Battery changed last Sunday.
2. Starter Motor is new, replaced early last year.
3. Serpentine belt is due for change, considering the mileage and age of the car, both.

Issue -

1. Yesterday noon while driving, the lights on the dashboard started flickering, in as much as the power steering and ABS light started coming up and going off intermittently.

2. While idling, an occasional rough idle was felt.

3. There is no issue with the performance of battery or starter motor / alternator as all electric equipment worked flawlessly.

Probabilities -

1. The serpentine belt, which drives the water pump, power steering is due for a change owing to the time and distance factor, though there are no visible signs of it being worn out.

2. There is a squealing sound originating from this serpentine belt area, which is very low key when compared with the sound of say, an Indigo.

3. I installed the new battery by myself at home. It may be a probability that it is not properly fit. But then I always do it at home.

Solution -

How to proceed further?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks