Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 14:04   #1
BHPian

Door lock key turns freely! Not locking or unlocking

I have this problem that the key does absolutely nothing on my Figo 2012, it just keeps turning in either direction. This started happening when a local mechanic poured some lubricating oil into it as I took it for the opposite problem. It was actually stuck in one direction, i.e., I could lock it but never unlock it as there was a lot of resistance to turn the key in that direction. Now the mechanic is saying that the entire mechanism needs to be changed and I need some advice on how to approach this.

For some more background, I actually can't recollect the last time I used the key to lock/unlock it. Recently, my remote started giving some trouble, it started not responding to lock/unlock until I press buttons multiple times, so I replaced the battery and it was still the same. So I was curious to see how it would respond to the key and then noticed that I am only able to lock it but not unlock. When I took it to the mechanic, he removed the door panel to see from behind if there was any obvious issue. When he didn't notice anything, he poured some oil and assembled it back. We immediately noticed that the key no longer has any resistance to turn. For some reason, it started responding fine to the remote (i.e., I no longer had to press the buttons multiple times) so I was at least happy that part of the problem is fixed. But after a week, the remote problem is back and identical to before.

It sometimes takes me a minute to lock/unlock the car as I try pressing buttons multiple times and sometimes pressing and holding the button for 4 to 5 seconds at a time seems to help. Any advise on how to go about this?
Old 6th December 2019, 22:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Door lock key turns freely! Not locking or unlocking

I suspect the mechanic used WD40 inside the key barrel which has plastic parts as well. From my experience WDD40 doesn't go well with certain plastics. This is one suspected cause.

Anyways, open the door pad to understand what went wrong. You may take a opinion from a different mechanic as well. If it is within repairable (with limited parts) scope, get it done. Otherwise change the lock set (only door locks, if you could live with 2 different keys)
Mr.Boss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 23:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Faced similar issue in our Punto.

We started locking the car manually (with key) after the remote lock button started working intermittently. Though we ordered replacement remote shell and rubber pads from AliExpress, we never got around to fixing the remote.

One day, the driver side key lock gave away (the barrel just spins). Immediately, drove to the nearest reputed guy who fixes remote and keys and got it repaired for just ₹200.

If your remote works, best and cheapest option will be to fix it first (ask around and you'll find a guy who specializes in this). Then, fix the driver door lock issue as suggested by Mr Boss.

PS : Yet to the fix the 'spinning door lock' issue.
Klub Class is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 00:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel your best bet is to go to a competent workshop and take a look at what’s wrong.

Just before that, make sure the key isn’t acting up. Older Ford keys (metal part) are known to just spin inside the plastic part without really unlocking the door. I had the problem in my iKon and as per the Keymaker most fords have this problem.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 01:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

If the mech used WD40, you can kiss the lock goodbye.

Best get the locks changed. It would be a nasty moment to get locked out of the car.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 16:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If the mech used WD40, you can kiss the lock goodbye.
Thank you for informing that wd40 and plastics don't go hand in hand. I was gonna do that only just a few days ago.
Old 7th December 2019, 19:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Thank you for informing that wd40 and plastics don't go hand in hand. I was gonna do that only just a few days ago.
Not sure about plastics, but I have managed to spoil the latch of my house door after using WD40. Going by others' account on car doors and knowing that WD40 is not a lubricant, I think it's safe to say one should avoid using WD40 where the real need may be of a lubricant.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 19:26   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions, I went to another mechanic shop and the electrician there completely pulled out the lock and noticed that a plastic piece is broken, so he replaced it for not much. I took pictures of the broken part and the replacement.

I guess it wasn't because of using WD40. I think WD40 comes as a spray can, but he used a pouring can so I am sure he used some other oil. Isn't WD40 very expensive?
Attached Thumbnails
Door lock key turns freely! Not locking or unlocking-20191207_170235.jpg  

Door lock key turns freely! Not locking or unlocking-20191207_170746.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th December 2019 at 19:34.
haridsv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 21:36   #9
BHPian

Looks like my previous reply got lost, so trying again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Immediately, drove to the nearest reputed guy who fixes remote and keys and got it repaired for just ₹200.
Do you know what needed to be fixed in the remote? I would like to try this next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
PS : Yet to the fix the 'spinning door lock' issue.
If you are still having this issue, you may have the same issue as mine. Please check the images I posted, and ask a mechanic to check.
haridsv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 22:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridsv View Post
Do you know what needed to be fixed in the remote? I would like to try this next.
Common cause for remote key fobs to (mal)function occasionally
1) Weak battery - Replace the battery
2) Weak contact - due to contamination - Open the key fob & Clean the contact surfaces gently with alcohol
3) Worn out contacts - If you are not good at DIY, take it to any electronics repair shop. Otherwise use conductive paint over the worn out contact area

If none of the above works, it something to do with the receiver or transmitter circuit.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 22:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Common cause for remote key fobs to (mal)function occasionally
1) Weak battery - Replace the battery
2) Weak contact - due to contamination - Open the key fob & Clean the contact surfaces gently with alcohol
3) Worn out contacts - If you are not good at DIY, take it to any electronics repair shop. Otherwise use conductive paint over the worn out contact area

If none of the above works, it something to do with the receiver or transmitter circuit.
I tried replacing the battery already, so will try cleaning it next.
Old 8th December 2019, 07:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haridsv View Post
I have this problem that the key does absolutely nothing on my Figo 2012, it just keeps turning in either direction. This started happening when a local mechanic poured some lubricating oil into it as I took it for the opposite problem. It was actually stuck in one direction, i.e., I could lock it but never unlock it as there was a lot of resistance to turn the key in that direction. Now the mechanic is saying that the entire mechanism needs to be changed and I need some advice on how to approach this.

For some more background, I actually can't recollect the last time I used the key to lock/unlock it. Recently, my remote started giving some trouble, it started not responding to lock/unlock until I press buttons multiple times, so I replaced the battery and it was still the same. So I was curious to see how it would respond to the key and then noticed that I am only able to lock it but not unlock. When I took it to the mechanic, he removed the door panel to see from behind if there was any obvious issue. When he didn't notice anything, he poured some oil and assembled it back. We immediately noticed that the key no longer has any resistance to turn. For some reason, it started responding fine to the remote (i.e., I no longer had to press the buttons multiple times) so I was at least happy that part of the problem is fixed. But after a week, the remote problem is back and identical to before.

It sometimes takes me a minute to lock/unlock the car as I try pressing buttons multiple times and sometimes pressing and holding the button for 4 to 5 seconds at a time seems to help. Any advise on how to go about this?
From my experience (I had once) the lubrication that was done to the lock by the mechanic could’ve have slipped the plastic part inside the lock that is causing it to slip when you turn the key and after multiple turns the plastic is holding up the key and you were able to unlock.

My suggestion would be to get the lock set replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks