Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2007, 11:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Few queries about Honda City Old...

Hey People..

I have a HCity old which i bought abut 6 months back....
have some quieries on the same..

1. Windshield: lots of scracthes becoz of the wipre...makes it v difficult to drive at night....can we fix the scartches or need to change the shield??

2. Headlights: to dim...can it be improved??

3. Suspension: Will be using the car mostly for long distance....how tuff is city for the ruff usage??

anymore info wud b great too

thnx
Old 26th February 2007, 12:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
1. Windshield: lots of scracthes becoz of the wipre...makes it v difficult to drive at night....can we fix the scartches or need to change the shield??
No you cannot fix the scratches, it'll have to be replaced if they're permanent marks.

Quote:
Yes, you can change the stock relay of the headlights to one rated to 130/100W (available in Roots & some Chinese brands) and then put on 100/90 bulbs, this makes a significant difference to the lighting. But go for yellow bulbs like Hella Gold for highway usage since they are much better than the white ones in terms of throw & light intensity.

Quote:
3. Suspension: Will be using the car mostly for long distance....how tuff is city for the ruff usage??
If roads are bad then don't expect the suspension to last for more than 80k. However, there have been cases of failure at lesser mileage too. The suspension is one of the weak partts of the OHC, it takes the abuse fine but tends to give out pretty quickly.

Apart from that there is not much to do except for regular servicing etc. Do also check how old your tyres are & what condition they are in.
Old 26th February 2007, 12:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

lothirao, change your windshield glass & change your bulbs to brighter halogens. Regarding the suspension, it does last quite a while, but be gentle on bad roads. Japanese products are known for their lifetime performance.
Old 26th February 2007, 19:04   #4
BHPian

hi lohith,

Quote:
There is a process called glass buffing. The windshield dealers and car dealers normally advice against it. One of my friend had this problem on his car's windshield when cement mixture falling from a high rise scratched it. He took the risk of buffing and polishing as he was already armed with the money to change the windshield.

But it requires a skilled glass buffer. A friendly glass sheets seller may help you out. You will have to both buff and polish.

I would say it has cleared the problem to about 95%!!
But again no surety, as you are thinning the glass. He put a very low shaded film on it then to avoid shattering.

Quote:
Changing over to 100/90 will be a good option. I am experiencing the new clarity for a week now. This will not cost you more than Rs. 1000

Quote:
The City is not for rough usage!!! It can handle the common city pits, puddles and bad roads, but surely not rough usage. Good highway roads are no problems. I do a highway run of 400 kms almost every 10 days. The car serves me loyally.

Last edited by gbpscars : 26th February 2007 at 19:08.
Old 27th February 2007, 11:16   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Check if you have a "Windscreen Experts" franchise in Bangalore. They have a very effective buffing solution for this problem.
Old 27th February 2007, 14:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check if you have a "Windscreen Experts" franchise in Bangalore.
Did you mean Windshield Experts? If so, there are two outlets in bangalore. I've been to the one on Hosur Road for windshield replacement, and I am very pleased with their workmanship.

Contact details are available at their website:
Auto Glass replacement and Auto Safety Glass Replacement - Windshield Experts
Old 27th February 2007, 14:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

thnx guys

Hey Guys..thnx for the info..

I bought a pre owned city a 99 model...i was told by the service engr (white field honda) ..that a 99 model is a pure jap...so it was a good buy..

the car has done arund 75k kms... and looking on my kind of usage...that is for long distances.....sometimes get jittry
Old 27th February 2007, 14:35   #8
BHPian

as everyone said go to a `windshield experts` outlet.
they do a very neat job.!
Old 28th February 2007, 15:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys..thnx for the info..

I bought a pre owned city a 99 model...i was told by the service engr (white field honda) ..that a 99 model is a pure jap...so it was a good buy..

the car has done arund 75k kms... and looking on my kind of usage...that is for long distances.....sometimes get jittry

is a 99 model pure jap ? bcos by 99 the type 2 version had hit the indian market and to the best of my knowledge only early samples of the type 1 were pure jap...

anyway enjoy ur ride and post some pics...
Old 28th February 2007, 18:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
is a 99 model pure jap ? bcos by 99 the type 2 version had hit the indian market
Type 2 was introduced in 2000.
Old 28th February 2007, 20:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check if you have a "Windscreen Experts" franchise in Bangalore.
There is one on Dickenson road, 1st building on the right after Manipal Center when you drive down from MG Road.

And congrats for your new ride.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th February 2007 at 20:34.
Old 28th February 2007, 20:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

Yup its below whizz photo studio on the ground floor.
Old 28th February 2007, 21:31   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

lohithrao,

1. Unless cost is the greatest consideration, go in for a new windshield.

2. By dim headlights, do you mean dimmer than a normal OHC light (that you might have seen elsewhere) or dim for your application? If its the 1st case, check the battery charge, alternator, cutout, light bulbs and the reflector. Else upgrade your headlight bulbs

3. Suspension: Hondas are well built cars. Their components give competent performance in their lifetime which is itself limited compared to say a homegrown car.
Old 6th March 2007, 13:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys..thanks for the information...

I have decided to go for a WS change..will do up the lighting too...recently changed all the tyres to Bridgestone Turanza...it feels graet now...will enjoy the suspensions till it lasts am sure it would for a long time...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks