Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2020, 21:30   #1

Gearbox issue in Renault Kwid AMT

Hi guys,

We own a Renault Kwid AMT of 2017 model (The one which DOES NOT have the creep function). I actually bought this for my mom so she can drive around easily at our hometown. We've been facing some strange issues with the car ever since we bought it.

It is a problem with the gear knob which does not change when put in D or R from N. Usually we press the brake and then change the knob to D and same for reverse. But sometimes, even after doing this, the gear doesn't seem to change and the car just revs when accelerated. Sometimes the car switches to D or R and fails to come back to neutral.

This error happened one month after we bought the car (when the car did not even cross 500 kms ). We had to call the customer service and they had to tow the car and get it fixed. They said that the issue has been fixed and said that the Motor software was updated ?. For the next 500 kms, the car was without any issues.
Then came the accelerator pedal malfunction (for which Renault did the recall). This happened around 1k kms. Then a month after this, again the same gear knob issue cropped up. The again told me that they had to update the software and it had been fixed.
Now the car has run around 4500kms and now the same issue cropped up. I called up the customer care and they sent the service center ppl to take the car instead of Road Side Assistance (They said the warranty is over however the warranty is still there till the end of this month.).

Now the Service center guys are saying that they did not find any issue with the vehicle and it is only due mine/my mother's driving style. They say that we shouldn't press the brake and accelerator together (I don't know why would anyone do that other than for a burnout. Sure my mom doesn't do them.). I told them to check it properly as it had been the 4th time this issue has been cropping up and since the warranty is getting over by the end of this month, I suggested them to change any part if required.

But they keep saying it is only due to the driving style. I just couldn't understand if something like that can cause an issue like this. I also don't think of any instance where my mom would press them both together (She has been driving cars since I was a baby inside her. Almost 30 years now.).

Please help me guys. Have any other Renault Kwid AMT owners faced any issue like this ? I feel very sad when I find the car is getting issues like this as this car had been the first car which I bought for my parents out of my earnings hoping they would drive easily (due to the light steering and AMT). But now I feel like, I might have bought a lemon
vishnuramana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 13:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Gearbox issue in Renault Kwid AMT

Make one thing very very clear to them. Something known as the clutch box or basically the actuator which is responsible for handling the clutch and the gears is malfunctioning in your car.

The exact same thing happened to my Kwid AMT and my car had to sit at the workshop for 10 days waiting for a new part to arrive.

I even have an image of the part before it was taken back from me as they said it's replaced under warranty and I am not entitled to keep it with me:
Gearbox issue in Renault Kwid AMT-36177482_1843025852658612_3877642864494116864_o.jpg

My car was facing the same symptoms as yours. Infact, one morning the gearbox just won't change into D or R. Thankfully, it did slot into R and D when the service advisor came to pick it up and came back 10 days later.

Get the part replaced under warranty ASAP. Write to Renault as well if the service center refuses and demand in writing that the car is fit and that they will replace the clutch box incase it fails outside of warranty period if they don't want to replace it now.

Last edited by vishy76 : 12th January 2020 at 13:35.
vishy76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 14:25   #3
BHPian

re: Gearbox issue in Renault Kwid AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuramana View Post
Hi guys,

I called up the customer care and they sent the service center ppl to take the car instead of Road Side Assistance (They said the warranty is over however the warranty is still there till the end of this month.).
I don't have any idea technically.

But I suggest you to get the extended warranty ASAP. The KWID even gets a 7 year extended warranty. If not, pull in the people from Renault India (customer care) and get this solved before the warranty is out!

Also, file a complaint on this. Reach the customer service and get them involved as to get the issue solved at a faster pace.
Jagann13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 08:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gearbox issue in Renault Kwid AMT

Am reading way too many posts on AMT issues. Although far simpler than DSGs, the complaints volume seems to be on par (or higher). I've always said that I won't consider an AMT because of the jerky driving experience. Reliability is another reason now.

Link to 24-page thread on Maruti's AMT woes.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:56   #5
BHPian

Re: Gearbox issue in Renault Kwid AMT

Hi Vishy76,

I'm facing the exact same issue & the mechanic is saying the spare part which is shown in this thread has gone kaput. The assembly of actuator motor & the gear motor needs to be changed. Funnily, the assembly is not available anywhere. Renault service center guys are saying this costs around 20K & does not have any warranty. First time I heard that a critical part is not having any warranty. Does anyone have information about this assembly? I live in Mumbai. Would appreciate any lead on this issue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th November 2020 at 22:56. Reason: Typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks