Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 18:03   #1
BHPian

Which type of car door lock do you prefer?

After spending time in many different vehicles one thing I noticed is that we take for granted the locking mechanism. Of course it is a tiny aspect of the vehicle but there are more than one types of locks and unlocking mechanisms out there.
Here i am trying to talk and discuss about the door locks on the inside of the vehicle.

Which one do you prefer and why?

The one which a separate door lock knob / button like this.
Which type of car door lock do you prefer?-images-2.jpeg

Or the European type here.
Which type of car door lock do you prefer?-images-3.jpeg

The European ones seem more convenient to me while unlocking, just pull the handle (maybe twice) to open the door unlike in other vehicles where you need to flip the knob to be able to unlock it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th February 2020 at 11:22. Reason: Typo corrected. Thanks!
aviral2122 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:20   #2
BHPian

re: Which type of car door lock do you prefer?

Frankly, I don't know, since I don't remember when I manually locked or unlocked my car.
swissknife is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
The European ones seem more convenient to me while unlocking, just pull the handle (maybe twice) to open the door unlike in other vehicles where you need to flip the knob to be able to unlock it.
Personally I don't mind the EU style ones where you pull to unlock and open. Afterall - the door locks are intended to keep unwanted people out & stop them from opening the doors.

They are a bit risky for Indian masses though - because we have kids with full freedom in the car. A dual lever/latch mechanism (typical Maruti-Tata-Hyundai) at least gives 2 extra seconds to react before the kid unlocks & opens the door in a running car. Especially in the front seat - the EU style one means if a kid pulls on the latch - the door will open in a moving car. I can't imagine what follows.

As a rule - my kid sits only in his child booster seat in the back, with a seat belt. And the child-safety-lock on both rear doors is permanently activated & will stay so till he grows up a fair bit more. When I car-pool - I be the gentleman to open the door for the one person who is getting out from the rear seat. Unless everyone is able to follow this setup as a rule & discipline when travelling with kids in car in our country - I don't think the EU style latches are correct.
Reinhard is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
They are a bit risky for Indian masses though - because we have kids with full freedom in the car. A dual lever/latch mechanism (typical Maruti-Tata-Hyundai) at least gives 2 extra seconds to react before the kid unlocks & opens the door in a running car. Especially in the front seat - the EU style one means if a kid pulls on the latch - the door will open in a moving car. I can't imagine what follows.
Most carmakers have countered this problem with speed sensing door locks which makes the whole thing just as safe and more convenient!

My Vento has these type of locks and it's super convenient as the door always remains unlocked while stationary and you can't forget to flip the lever because there isn't one. It also helps when you are in an unfamiliar car and have to open the door at night.

I'd honestly choose the EU type locks anyday given that the car is equipped with speed sensing door locks.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:43   #5
BHPian

If the manufacturers connect the Euro type door locking mechanism with a sensor that locks it 5 km/h and unlocks it when the vehicle is at rest.
This will be somehow the most convenient and safe mechanism for car door locks.
Octane99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 19:46   #6
BHPian

I prefer separate lock type handle. For the European style, there is a risk of opening the door if the children pull the handle, and for the separate lock type, you have to intentionally unlock then only the doors will open. For my Zest, driver door can be unlocked just by pulling the lever even if the lock is engaged.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Here i am trying to talk and discuss about the door locks on the inside of the vehicle.
Reading the title and highlighted above, I thought I'm going to learn about the door lock/unlock mechanism, mechanical's involved in it and so on. Rather its a question on the choice of mechanism.
@Mods, any idea of changing/correcting the title?

For the question here, I prefer the manual locking mechanism, with a separate lever as it gives me a sense of "I Locked It" kinda feeling.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 20:07   #8
BHPian

Actually, what really matters is if your car has the ability to auto lock after attaining a certain speed.

Most cars that have speed sensing locks usually also have driver door control, configurable unlock etc.

Therefore, what matters more than what type of lock your car has is how smart the mechanism is.
Old 12th February 2020, 20:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The drift is pretty much towards speed sensing auto-door-locks, that leave the primary question of the thread redundant.

However - we need to be cognizant of the fact that majority of the cars (at least in their base/mid trims) don't have speed sensing locks. Worst of them all - manufacturers like Tata are taking away an existing feature for no understandable reason. My 10 year old Vista had speed sensing locks that never malfunctioned even once. Awesome feature. However - Today the Tiago, Tigor, Nexon do NOT have these even in top most trims. Same is the case with many other car makers. Its really disappointing that such a good feature - especially for India - is being taken away.

(Even more shocking is that these cars auto-unlock when ignition is switched off!)
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 20:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
(Even more shocking is that these cars auto-unlock when ignition is switched off!)
Maruti Suzuki's MID offer users to chose -
1) Whether they want their doors to get unlocked when the car is switched off or not.
2) Speed sensing door locking.

Strange to see these two setting available in my Ciaz but absent in my Verna.
Old 12th February 2020, 20:35   #11
BHPian

I prefer the separate lock and door handle. It is just the psychological sense of security that even if someone pulls the flap by mistake(), it won't open.
Quote:
Worst of them all - manufacturers like Tata are taking away an existing feature for no understandable reason. My 10 year old Vista had speed sensing locks that never malfunctioned even once. Awesome feature. However - Today the Tiago, Tigor, Nexon do NOT have these even in top most trims. Same is the case with many other car makers. Its really disappointing that such a good feature - especially for India - is being taken away.

IIRC, Tata disabled it on Nexon as it was a requirement for 5* GNCAP rating. Don't know the logic behind it but remember reading it on TeamBHP itself.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 20:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
IIRC, Tata disabled it on Nexon as it was a requirement for 5* GNCAP rating. Don't know the logic behind it but remember reading it on TeamBHP itself.
Yes, but I feel that is the lamest excuse in the history of mankind. I'd rather they fix any software flaw to ensure the doors opened in case of accident - if there was a flaw in first place.

They removed the feature from the Tiago-Tigor also, and they didn't go for 5 star anyway! So their lie related with Nexon auto locks disabled for 5 star rating really was exposed pretty soon.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 22:38   #13
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I prefer the Euro type locks for the convenience factor they bring.

With that being said, separate lock mechanisms can be potentially safer in many situations, especially when you have small children at home.

Manufacturers like Ford have a middle path approach, wherein the handle itself gets pushed in when the car is locked. Thus, once the car is locked, you need to first pull the handle to its 'normal position' and then pull further to open the door. I would still prefer this over a separate lock mechanism.
Old 12th February 2020, 23:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The one which a separate door lock knob / button like this.
Attachment 1968991
Is this the door handle of an Esteem by any chance?

Coming back to the topic, if I recall correctly, there was no way to open or override the lock of the rear doors of my colleague's Vento, if the lock button at the driver's side door (that being the only lock/unlock button) was pressed. This makes me wonder, what would happen if someone is in such a vehicle against their will and would want to run away! Although I am not married, imagine a situation where your wife is at the wheels and literally dragging you to the mall!
shankha007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane99 View Post
If the manufacturers connect the Euro type door locking mechanism with a sensor that locks it 5 km/h and unlocks it when the vehicle is at rest.
This will be somehow the most convenient and safe mechanism for car door locks.
Think of stop and go traffic (aka Bangalore Traffic) if the door opens every time you come to stand still, the mechanism will be broken within a week, if not earlier
It is not safe to unlock automatically as you may stop in traffic signals or traffic jams and if the door is open, it is easy to get into unwanted issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK79 View Post
I prefer separate lock type handle. For the European style, there is a risk of opening the door if the children pull the handle.
There is Child lock provided for this reason only and you should use it to prevent it.

I hate the separate pull type (Santro, 800 etc) or the ones in the opening posts. i have seen people playing with it, unscrew it and getting them lost, leaving the screw being exposed. Hence, I like the EU ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks