Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2020, 08:39   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea T-Jet 125s : Suspension & handling issue

Hello Folks,
I have a Linea Tjet 125s, bought in 2017. It has done just 12k till date.
It was being driven by my dad all this while. He has now bought an automatic car so I have the Tjet.

I was never happy with the handling on our Tjet. I have driven the Puntos and I know how solidly planted they feel. Our Tjet has never given that feeling. Its handling feels quite nervous. There is a side to side rocking on some roads (which the Punto doesn't do). I just don't feel very confident driving our Tjet at speeds. Whereas on the Punto I feel glued to the road.

Lately I am hearing some suspension noise on the Tjet as well. My apprehension is, probably the suspension setup on my Tjet is not right. I have already ordered the lower GC kit. Fiat guys in Bangalore told me that for Tjet only the shock absorbers needs to be changed, everything else is the same as the old Tjet. Is that correct ?

Are there any other suspension components that might be responsible for the lack of stability and handling ? Since I am spending on lowering the GC, I do not might ordering any other components and getting it sorted out once for all.

Please suggest.
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet 125s : Suspension & handling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
I was never happy with the handling on our Tjet. I have driven the Puntos and I know how solidly planted they feel. Our Tjet has never given that feeling. Its handling feels quite nervous. There is a side to side rocking on some roads (which the Punto doesn't do). I just don't feel very confident driving our Tjet at speeds. Whereas on the Punto I feel glued to the road.
Quite unusual to hear about a Linea owner complaining on this, as the car has a sexy suspension setup.

1. You need to first ensure that there is no defect in your existing suspension hardware (e.g. leaking dampers), and even check the basics (e.g. tyre pressure).

2. BHPians have said that the "raised" suspension update in later Lineas did take away some of its famed handling ability. The original, lower ground clearance setup will definitely improve your car's dynamic ability.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,
It was being driven by my dad all this while. He has now bought an automatic car so I have the Tjet.

Lately I am hearing some suspension noise on the Tjet as well. My apprehension is, probably the suspension setup on my Tjet is not right. I have already ordered the lower GC kit. Fiat guys in Bangalore told me that for Tjet only the shock absorbers needs to be changed, everything else is the same as the old Tjet. Is that correct ?

Are there any other suspension components that might be responsible for the lack of stability and handling ? Since I am spending on lowering the GC, I do not might ordering any other components and getting it sorted out once for all.

Please suggest.
A side to side rocking issue? Could it be that the steering is a bit vague and light giving that feeling? Check the tie rods, connected bushes and joints. If there's a play in that, the steering feel goes for a toss.

Also, check the alignment. If there's a big variation in front caster readings, the steering feel again becomes vague. Caster cannot be adjusted at an independent tyre shop or alignment centre, you will have to get the workshop to do it or a mechanic who knows how to set it right. It will involve opening up the suspension.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
A side to side rocking issue? Could it be that the steering is a bit vague and light giving that feeling? Check the tie rods, connected bushes and joints. If there's a play in that, the steering feel goes for a toss.

Also, check the alignment. If there's a big variation in front caster readings, the steering feel again becomes vague. Caster cannot be adjusted at an independent tyre shop or alignment centre, you will have to get the workshop to do it or a mechanic who knows how to set it right. It will involve opening up the suspension.
The high GC setup has a really annoying slow speed rocking motion which is very apparent in the city, and is present in all the high GC cars I have tried. The 125s sits even higher than the facelifted T-Jet that I have (gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel well arch is a finger higher both at both ends of the car) which shows that Fiat has been doing some 'juggad' work on the suspension.

The only option is to get the low GC struts (available) and use stock coils (low GC rear coils no longer available) like I have and make do with a Hybrid setup that almost eliminates the rocking but gives the car a butt in the stance, or one can invest in Eibach or Cobra springs that lowers the car about an 1" but stiffens the ride.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Surprised with your experience.
I drive the 2014 T Jet (not 125S, but the 117 version). Completed 72000kms. Though I usually drive at saner speeds, the car has seen high speeds, without me feeling any handling or 'confidence' issues (I don't think anyone, leave alone me, should be driving at such speeds, by the way). Not sure about what you are describing as a 'side to side rocking' issue. I don't think I've experienced anything of that sort, which is different from what is felt in any car riding on undulating city roads.

Is the GC of the 125S version even higher than the 2014 facelift version?
Even if it is higher, is that expected to cause such problems? I am curious.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - High speed reference removed.

Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word software (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd February 2020 at 16:10. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 23rd February 2020, 15:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

What is the age and condition of your tyres?

I replaced the stock JK Vectra tyres on my SX4 at 67,000 km. For last 7000 - 8000 km, my car had this side to side roll. I was thinking about the suspensions that time. But as soon as I changed all the four tyres at 67,000 km, the roll disappeared and the original handling was restored.

My tyres had also crossed 5 years at the time of change.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 07:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

The steering does feel vague. I will try to explain it to the Fiat service guys but lets see if they even understand my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The high GC setup has a really annoying slow speed rocking motion which is very apparent in the city, and is present in all the high GC cars I have tried. The 125s sits even higher than the facelifted T-Jet that I have (gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel well arch is a finger higher both at both ends of the car) which shows that Fiat has been doing some 'juggad' work on the suspension.

The only option is to get the low GC struts (available) and use stock coils (low GC rear coils no longer available) like I have and make do with a Hybrid setup that almost eliminates the rocking but gives the car a butt in the stance, or one can invest in Eibach or Cobra springs that lowers the car about an 1" but stiffens the ride.
I am getting the low GC struts, hope things will improve. But the steering vagueness could also be a result of all the Jugaad stuff Fiat has put in into this last batch of Tjets so I need to somehow find that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
What is the age and condition of your tyres?

I replaced the stock JK Vectra tyres on my SX4 at 67,000 km. For last 7000 - 8000 km, my car had this side to side roll. I was thinking about the suspensions that time. But as soon as I changed all the four tyres at 67,000 km, the roll disappeared and the original handling was restored.

My tyres had also crossed 5 years at the time of change.
Tires have done only 12k kms.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2020 at 08:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 24th February 2020, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The steering does feel vague. I will try to explain it to the Fiat service guys but lets see if they even understand my concern.
Which service center are you taking your car to? KHT or PPS? If it is PPS, try talking to Vinay. I had a couple of good interactions with him and I am really happy with the way he listens to the problem and suggesting the solutions.

--Anoop
Old 24th February 2020, 18:29   #9
BHPian

I went to the Whitefield center, should be KHT ? Sorry, I have just relocated to Bangalore so I am not familiar with the dealers here.
Old 21st March 2024, 11:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pani,
I can fully relate to what you mean by the side to side rocking on certain roads and the feeling of nervousness while driving at higher speeds even on smooth tarmac. I recently bought a TJet and would appreciate it if you have any update on this issue being resolved.
Old 22nd March 2024, 00:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Please suggest.
What kind of noises do you hear? Please elaborate.

I owned Punto for 10 years and drove 1.3lakhs kms on stock suspension and clutch in all terrains during these years and can vouch that Fiat suspension is the most robust of all the manufacturers in India.

I had opted for the ground clearance kit as well & found marginal difference in handling, so little that it is not worth mentioning.

Now, coming to your issue, before installing the new kit, pls get the tie rods inspected for any play. Fiat had consistent issues with the tie rods across the line up. If they are loose or tend to get loose over time, they need to be changed immediately.

Do you hear any knocking/dug dug sound from suspension while turning?

Last edited by kapilsharma80 : 22nd March 2024 at 00:21.
kapilsharma80 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks