Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 13:51   #16
BHPian

Re: 1.8 TSI swap for my VW Polo?

First question would be what is the outcome you are looking at.

1. Is it for fun of doing it yourself? If so
1.a What drives you? Mechanical challenge or programming?

VW won't be friendly for a pure mechanical swap. If you are ready to re-program the ECU, that is a different league. But again, how much of the ECU is re-programmable?

2. Is it for power? Then people have already answered what you should look for.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 23:59   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, this is quite pointless.
I drove the Polo GT TSI for 4 years and exchanged it for the GTI which I have now driven for 2 years. The GTI brakes are in a different league (especially the rear disk brakes), battery is in the boot, the suspension is stiff like it should be.
+10000.

Nothing like the 2 door GTI, and this was the last 2 door GTI that VW would make. All future GTIs will be 4 door. So if it's fun and kick and exclusivity you are looking for, it's in the 2 door version

The most exclusive would be if I build mine! Then it would be more unique than all the GTI's in India!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
In my view, there is too much that can go wrong with an upgrade like this and it ain't worth the time and money you'll end up putting into this project.

If you still want to pull off something like this, before you get to the engine, make sure you upgrade the brakes and suspension on your Polo. This isn't limited to just a brake rotor and pad upgrade. It requires a complete over haul right to the master cylinder.
Brakes and suspension are the least of my problems as its very easy to find a solution for that! The main problem is Engine connecting to the car and getting it to crank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
First question would be what is the outcome you are looking at.

1. Is it for fun of doing it yourself? If so
1.a What drives you? Mechanical challenge or programming?

VW won't be friendly for a pure mechanical swap. If you are ready to re-program the ECU, that is a different league. But again, how much of the ECU is re-programmable?

2. Is it for power? Then people have already answered what you should look for.
My basic goal is to make a GTI instead of going the easy route and just buying a GTI. Period. I wanna understand and do everything it takes to convert mine to a GTI.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th March 2020 at 00:26. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Fixed broken quote tags.
vedant5150 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 12:47   #18

I know a guy on Insta, Vikram Walia (ID: uksaint), who has successfully performed a 1.8TSI swap into his Polo. You can try contacting him.
He's a car enthusiast and also drives a BMW M3.
Arjan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 09:37   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan View Post
I know a guy on Insta, Vikram Walia (ID: uksaint), who has successfully performed a 1.8TSI swap into his Polo.
I've tried contacting him but not much information available through him! Maybe he doesnt want to share his secrets! I'm trying to get a Laura engine now with the ecu and harness and mate it to a dq250 which is a 6 speed and is way more reliable and can handle more torque.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th March 2020 at 16:24. Reason: Please use the Quote button to quote posts. Thanks.
vedant5150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 04:44   #20
BANNED

Congratulation on being the first in a long line of enthusiasts to actually go over the top. If you are going to get an 1.8 GTI engine, then there may be a justification in others tell ing you to consider an used GTi. I would suggest you to import either the 2.8L Cummins crate engine or an LS V8. You can have an ultimate car for all the money you are going to spend in the first place and, perhaps, a few lakhs more.
Old 17th March 2020, 19:49   #21
BHPian

I believe this has been done
Please check the video in the link below, though not sure if its a 1.8TSI motor from the Laura or a Polo GTI

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th March 2020 at 20:03. Reason: Fixing YouTube link.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 18:38   #22

Hi Vedant,
I've always had a similar question, which was whether the new 6 speed 1.0TSI can be fitted in a 2010 1.2 MPI Polo. Do you guys think it would be a straight forward swap?
Old 24th July 2020, 22:21   #23
BHPian

Hi, swapping a 1.8TSI in a Polo can be and has been done. Getting a Donor car (Superb for DQ200, Laura for 6MT) is advisable. You will need to use the donor car's ECU, wiring and program a bunch of other stuff. But its certainly doable, but a long-ish project and expensive. Also it renders the car technically illegal.
We have been working on a similar project but yet to complete it.
tanmay324 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 01:07   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update on this project? Did the 1.8TSI enter the 4 door Polo
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks