Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2007, 10:22   #1
BHPian

Do we really have a 'Running in period' for the new age cars

They say 'Drive the first 1500Kms under 60kmph, no long drives, need frequent breaks' and a whole lot of things when you drive away a new car.

With all this cutting edge technology, laser assisted precision cutting tools do the new age cars actually need driving in period? What provoked this thought was the Ferrari built up in MEGAFACTORIES (NatGeo) that i watched yesterday.

I presume the Driving-in period is to make the car smooth, i mean, the pistons pulling in and out of the cylinders, the gears and other mechanical parts, but aren’t they already smooth, after all in the 21st century we have all the right tools.

More over what didn’t make sense was, let say a Porsche owner, after taking out his brand new car from the dealer, you don’t expect him to crawl around in 60, or take the example of a Truck. A transport operator gets a new truck, he would want it to haul the load right from day one, wouldn’t he?

What do you guys think??[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
Old 9th March 2007, 10:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Valid query, but lots of threads exist that have discussed this to pulp. Search and you will find.
Old 9th March 2007, 10:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Please use the search function, it really works!!

BHP Advice: Running in
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks