Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 23:59   #31
BHPian

Re: On starting a car yourself when the starter / battery fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The TUV3OO`s engine starts, wheel spins and then the MLD engages - India`s first driverless car casualty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Found this interesting and useful video which demonstrates about how to start a car when self-start fails
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I find this method very risky (and rather silly) maybe doable for a small car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Please don't try these stupid methods. Not only are they unsafe, they will require a lot of effort, which can be saved with much smarter and simpler methods. If you can keep a rope handy, I'd rather you keep a jump start cable.
I totally agree with the comments of fellow Bhpians.

At first too was intrigued by this post and video. Its makes a good video to view and know to Never Never Try this on your own types.

Its definitely a risky and careless maneuver to try something like just, just in case the car comes off the jack. There are enough helpful people on the roads of India at any point of the day or night to assist with the push start.

Quoting Anshuman, if you are prepared and have a rope in your trunk, you might as well keep a jumper cable / kit in the car.
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 09:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
When you switch off an engine fuel which is there in the fuel lines does not return back to fuel tank. It means that your primary fuel pump which is in the fuel tank need not function for the engine to start.
Sorry to say it is not correct for modern cars.

As I mentioned before, a dead battery means ECU is dead and sensors won't feed data either. Unless sensors (oxygen, throte position, crank position etc) work, injectors won't fire. Now for injectors to work, power is needed. What is also needed is uninterrupted fuel supply. Two pumps need to work to keep the fuel supplied--one to feed the lines and second for high pressure build up.

What you mentioned might be somewhat true for carburetor models, as they have a chamber which acummulates fuel.

Again, easy way to check the situation is to switch on the key and listen to fuel pump sound. You would hear a whirring sound for 5 sec which then stops. If that is there and your starter relay is getting cut off, you can easily push star the vehicle. If you don't hear the pump, and none of the electricals work, use jumper cable.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 19:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post

It still confuses me on how can one wheel spin and the other wheel be stationary when the transmission is engaged in reverse and the clutch is couples the engine to the transmission. How I understood it is: the open slip differential allows slipping of wheels, but not independent rotation when it is transmitting power from the engine.
Did I understand wrong or does the open differential scenario only come into picture when the clutch is decoupled?
The best example of how our differential works that I ever found was this.

puneetakhouri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks