Team-BHP - CNG vs LPG Comparision
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   CNG vs LPG Comparision (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/22225-cng-vs-lpg-comparision-19.html)

posting from another thread since i didnt get any reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 2861959)
Hi guys,I am planning to install LPG kit for my optra 1.8(CNG is not available in chennai,correct me if I am wrong).I am getting mileage of ~10kmpl right now which means the running cost in about 7.2Rs/km.How much will I be able to save if I install LPG kitplease:
p.s: I am not obsessed with mileage but I just want to reduce money spent on fuel when I go for long rides:)

You can install BRC sequential lpg kit.it will cost you 33k including RC endorsement. My s10 is doing great with the kit.no difference in power. At least with LPG,I don't need to do calculation everytime I take my car out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock18 (Post 2891569)
You can install BRC sequential lpg kit.it will cost you 33k including RC endorsement. My s10 is doing great with the kit.no difference in power. At least with LPG,I don't need to do calculation everytime I take my car out.

Before installing, don't you have to figure out how much is your monthly running and how many months/years it's going to take you to break even on that 33000 + the time value of money?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock18 (Post 2891569)

I was confused whether to go for LPG since few people said mileage will be around 1-1.5kmpl more than what I get in petrol,while few said mileage will be less.I am getting around 8kmpl right nowlol: not sure if I can recover the cost of the kit if mileage from LPG is less than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 2892099)
I was confused whether to go for LPG since few people said mileage will be around 1-1.5kmpl more than what I get in petrol,while few said mileage will be less.I am getting around 8kmpl right nowlol: not sure if I can recover the cost of the kit if mileage from LPG is less than that.

CNG increases mileage but reduces power. As far as I know, LPG doesn't increase or decrease mileage. And also there isn't much power loss.

When I last checked (couple of years back), you need to atleast be running 1500 kms for LPG to be cost effective. CNG has a much lower threshold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2892172)
CNG increases mileage but reduces power. As far as I know, LPG doesn't increase or decrease mileage. And also there isn't much power loss. 0

When I last checked (couple of years back), you need to atleast be running 1500 kms for LPG to be cost effective. CNG has a much lower threshold.

Sadly CNG is not available here in chennai.Will install LPG kit in few days.Thanks for the quick reply:)

If the car give 10kmpl in petrol and 9kmpl in lpg, you will recover much earlier than the cars give 14kmpl in petrol 12~13kmpl in lpg. For rock18 he will recover the cost of the installation in 8000Kms and he already drove 4k Kms with the kit.

Technically speaking, lpg has higher calorific value and cng has less. So lpg is more efficient than cng. However since cng is cheaper it turns the other way. A thumb rule is you get 1.5 times the petrol mileage on a kg of lpg. On cng should be a tad lesser. Further cng is slow burning fuel with a good knock resistace. Octane rating around 120. So it results in reduced power. Advancing the timing by 4 deg. Used to do the trick on old mechanical cars. Not sure about new generation cars. On industrial gas engines I actually keep the timing according to fuel calorific value. There is no lack of power on those engines.

Further there would definetly be power loss in lpg compared to petrol. One might not feel it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manishalive (Post 2892792)
Further there would definetly be power loss in lpg compared to petrol. One might not feel it.

I have a WagonR Duo; even with factory tuning, the difference in power is very noticeable, especially with AC and in low rpms as with couple other aftermarket fitments (an Omni & later Santro).

WagonR does not have sequential kit.check spark LPG or cedia LPG with factory tuning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 2892099)
few people said mileage will be around 1-1.5kmpl more than what I get in petrol,while few said mileage will be less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2892172)
As far as I know, LPG doesn't increase or decrease mileage. And also there isn't much power loss.

I have installed LPG and driven around for quite a few KMs and I can say for sure that compared to your petrol FE, LPG FE comes down by 10% i.e if you maintain a clean air filter and keep rechecking your tune on LPG, if not, it reduces rapidly. Of course, there is power loss, if not at the low end, at the top end for sure (depending on the timing).

Quote:

Originally Posted by manishalive (Post 2892788)
A thumb rule is you get 1.5 times the petrol mileage on a kg of lpg.

Unfortunately manish, we cannot compare CNG with LPG on KG basis since Auto LPG is dispensed only on volume and not weight like CNG.

Hi Bhp'ians

I have Wagon R (BS-3) Petrol Only.
Of late, my running cost with petrol in city is high.
I planned to convert to LPG fuel system to optimize my fuel expenditure (meant reduce).

My doubts:
1. Brand, i am not so much concerned, but good serviceability, maintaince should be low. and frequent trips to tune the system should be avoided.
2. Safety is another priority.
3. I have extended Maruti warrenty. What will happen to warrenty.

Ideally i would like to have maruti to retrofit, but they will not take up retrofit for Non-factory models, Eventhough i will pay premium for retrofitment.

My requirement:
1. Torrodial Tank only.
2. Good and authorised Service for LPG Kit
3. Endorsement in R.C card (no book) and insurance also.
4. Location: South Bangalore (Preferbly near to Silk Board)
5. Initial Price not constraint(within limits) for above conditions

Kit Configuration: Kindly guide me

I would like to know the experience of owners of Etios (Petrol) or any other petrol sedan who have done LPG conversion in their vehicle in Chennai.

Apart from your overall feedback, please see if you can cover the following

1) Petrol mileage & LPG mileage (both city and highway)
2) LPG driveability at lower speeds & higher speeds
3) LPG availability in Chennai
4) Experience with service provider who did the conversion
5) Did the car maker (or dealer) advise you against conversion?
6) Any issues at RTO clearance?

Hi guys*
I own i20 asta 2010 petrol model...i have done 30000 kms on it.
My monthly drive is about 500-600 kms. I am thinking about convterting my car to cng..
I want to know if i should convert or not i am getting an average of 11 in city with ac. Please tell me about which kit is better and the best cng dealers in delhi.