Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2007, 15:40   #16
BHPian

Sorry 20k was my first paid service where did you say you got your verhicle from in Bangalore?
Old 14th March 2007, 15:48   #17
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
hey guys my Swift has run 29k and I am facing this problem of shudder since the last free service which was at 20k on the odo. I asked the engineer to check the issue but he said the clutch plate has worn out due to my oversize tires (I was flabbergasted) he suggested that I might require a clutch overhaul and imagine this at 25k on the odo. So I am due for overhaul in the next service. [...]
Any suggestions senior BHPians??
My Santro used to develop a shudder in first/reverse gears from about 38000 kms onwards. At 40000 kms the mounting base was tightened and the local garage advised me that shuddering is the first sign of clutch wear and there is no need of clutch overhaul until I actually experience slippage, which they do not expect for the next 20000 kms or so. In my case the shuddering only appears after prolonged driving in start/stop traffic; and then disappears after some normal driving. I have done 45000 kms now and the situation is actually better than before without any clutch overhaul.

I have now upgraded to 5" alloy wheels (as compared to 4" stock), with the same stock-size tyres, for the last 500 kms or so. The car's pick-up has increased noticeably and so far I have not even seen the occasional shudder in first or reverse gears!! I can now shift from first to second at 5 kmph (as opposed to 10 kmph before). So presumably the greater grip (due to the wider contact patch) has improved matters for the clutch; maybe the potential slippage is now much further ahead than before. But I need to test this theory a little more before making any claims.

I feel that if you upgrade your tyres and get a better pick-up, you can actually improve matters for your clutch because you can now afford to be more gentle on it while still getting the same pick-up as before.
Old 14th March 2007, 16:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Sorry 20k was my first paid service where did you say you got your verhicle from in Bangalore?

I normally get it done from Sagar as I purchase from him. My first paid will be soon... how much does your guy charge u
Old 28th March 2007, 17:51   #19
BHPian

An Update

I got my car serviced even tho i still had another 200kms more to go.

At the time of handing over the car (yesterday), i mentioned the clutch issue. Got my car back today, and they have not found any issue with the clutch. no replacement . They have adjusted the play. Also, my floor mats are quite big in size (When i purchased em 2 yrs back, swift was just launched, and model specific were not available anywhere at JC road), i have been told to ensure that they do not slide down towards the clutch pedal section- just to ensure that the mat doesnt come in between and interferes with the engagement.

On the short drive back home, everything was normal and smooth- but then, it was just a short drive.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2007, 15:04   #20
BHPian

Check your clutch and get it tuned. It should be alright.
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:51   #21
BHPian

Hi Spatafarose,

They said that they made some adjustements, so am assuming that this is what they have done. Have driven arnd 55 kms so far, and it looks like the problem has dissapeared

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:15   #22
BHPian

There need to be tuning and adjusting play of clutch play until 50k kms. Clutch wont wear that fast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks