Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much GC do you need?
I am fine with acceptable / adequate GC. It's not a deal-breaker 243 57.18%
I absolutely need a very high rating. Better safe than sorry 182 42.82%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 18:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Ground Clearance: How much do you really need?

Voted for option 1.

I dont mind scraping of underbody( i dont like the sound though) as long as no unwanted sound follows or no part has fallen.
Old 20th May 2020, 18:50   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The Polo has a weird extension which comes out from below the Passenger side door hinge. (Any knows what that is?
Are you referring to the jack mount points? It should be on both sides though. Can you post a picture of this extension you mention?
Old 20th May 2020, 20:32   #33
ike
BHPian

I absolutely need it! This was hardly a concern when buying my current car (an S cross which has decent GC) but the ramp to my house (which I bought after buying the S cross) is rather steep, the S cross barely makes it. So the next ride will have to be something with very good GC.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 07:53   #34
Team-BHP Support

Voted for Option 1 but the key words here are "adequate" and "deal breaker", both of which I would interpret strictly and literally. I managed just fine with 7 years of Civic ownership and honestly even in stock form never complained like many did because I was just careful, and ok to be so. Having said that, it is easier to just not have to bother as much, as my GT has joyfully revealed. This (GT) is a car I have toured extensively in all over MH including some very rough rural roads, long trips to Goa and other weekend holiday type parts of MH and daily in the ultimate off roading challenge (i.e. driving in central Mumbai). Given my experience of both cars, GC is a BIG factor and while I can live with 'adequate' and it won't be a deal 'breaker', the car I choose will have to make a compelling case on many other fronts for me to ignore a merely adequate GC (the Kia Carnival is a good example of the kind of unique product I'd make that sacrifice for, for all the other unique advantages it brings.)

On that note, I cannot imagine why we don't have a product like a VW Transporter Camper (4 x 4) in this market. It has MPV comfort inside with proper hardcore 4x4 abilities. I was taken on a Sierra Nevada tour last year in one of those where he actually took a trail and the damn thing climbed on large rocks just like a Fortuner would. All done in a nice MPV style package and seating comfort -it did not have the conventional SUV body roll and yet had killer capabilities. In our country where so many people are fans of MPVs (for their comfort) and also want 4x4 capabilities in their vehicles because of our roads, I think there should be a mature section of the market that would lap up such a product despite it not ticking the "SUV image". Some pics of the actual vehicle we were driven in at the bottom of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Have extensively toured in my C220 (~145 mm GC), 530d (158 mm) and Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Knowing your car and knowing where you go, you can be good with any car.

Practically my Civic had taken me all around the place.

Voted for Option 1.
@GTO and @Laluks: hahaha - it seems we were all 3 trained by one of the best in the business in getting comfortable with mediocre GC. The indomitable Civic which was renowned for its GC woes but what joy it brought in terms of the ownership pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Ground Clearance: How much do you really need?-66a8e9b37e2c46c3a1041cb48e3354fc.jpg  

Ground Clearance: How much do you really need?-cab5596dcea24af9a25f6bcfec30cfa5.jpg  

Ground Clearance: How much do you really need?-ed069cfe65fd44fd89a460c303040bd5.jpg  

Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 07:59   #35
BHPian

I think that the mass market car have adequate GC for the Indian conditions. They are here for a long time, know what to do for our roads. My car has a good 180mm which I think is ideal!

On the flip side, premium segment cars, especially the sedans might need some tuning. The handling is what more important than GC for those big guns!
Jagann13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 08:54   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for option 1. Mainly because I have learnt that you cant transform your sedan into a 4WD SUV with just ground clearance.

Roads are generally good these days and Adequate ground clearance is enough for a car, if you put the car to the right use. With little care and right driving technique, you’d be surprised how far you can go. And For extreme terrain you need a vehicle designed for it. Taking a sedan isn’t smart.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 09:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Are you referring to the jack mount points? It should be on both sides though. Can you post a picture of this extension you mention?
Picked this image from OLX and tried to highlight the part. This is much more pronounced in my 2011 model car. Also with a better angle, you would possibly be able to see that its a slope (forming a triangle with the chassis as base) rather than a sudden bulge,

My guess is the Tank, what do the experts say?
Attached Thumbnails
Ground Clearance: How much do you really need?-picture1.png  

Last edited by 2000rpm : 21st May 2020 at 09:39.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 09:51   #38
Team-BHP Support

Option 2 for me.

I had to sell off my first gen Figo because of inadequate GC, went for a Scorpio S10 4WD .

Got a Swift ZXi+ MT for errands and I scraped it yesterday even, imagine and that was, when I was trying to go below the road to someone's house and it had a sharp dip. But, the Swift has better GC than Figo [ride + handling is better too, steering is evens].

My one car [read SUV] has to have more than average GC, AWD [or 4WD] because of extreme uncertainties on a road travel and even commutes.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:21   #39
BHPian

Voted for the adequate clearence option.

The requirements also stem from what kind of driving you mostly do. In difficult terrain and one that needs to be handled often, it is prudent to choose the vehicle appropriately. Someone living in the hills for example is better off having the right vehicle for the job than having just a really low slung, very fast car in his garage, simply because he loves them. If you fall into the category of folks who do both exploratory drives and nurbugring stuff, vehicles for each department are more appropriate, ofcourse garage space and finances permitting.

What I find quite perplexing are buying decisions where an SUV is bought to clear two monumental speed humps to make it to work but for no other reason. Thats a rather sad usecase for the car as well as for the owner who for all you know might want to corner carve but is held back by the two speed humps playing havoc with his senses.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:52   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Picked this image from OLX and tried to highlight the part. This is much more pronounced in my 2011 model car. Also with a better angle, you would possibly be able to see that its a slope (forming a triangle with the chassis as base) rather than a sudden bulge,
My guess is the Tank, what do the experts say?
I misunderstood when you said "passenger side door hinge". I thought you were talking about the LHS front door! My bad.

What you are referring to, isn't the fuel tank. Rather its part of the chassis under-body. You can clearly see it here in this picture. -
(I'm borrowing it from a fellow BHPan's thread here.

The red boxes I have drawn denote what you are referring to. They seem to be multi purpose members in the chassis used to provide cabling tunnels + hot air venting-out. More importantly, their slanting angle towards the rear is quite a smart idea. In case of scraping, these will ensure the key components of fuel tank (denoted by arrow) and exhaust plumbing will not get hit. Smart Germans.

Ground Clearance: How much do you really need?-rr.jpg
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 11:42   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for option 2.

I look for decent ground clearance in my car. That was one of the prime reasons for avoiding a sedan (along with low seating posture) while I was looking for a new car.

I driven across quite a few states in our country. During such trips, I have always come across roads (NHs, SHs, kaccha roads, local bylanes or that small hillock which the contractor calls as speed breaker) which test the ground clearance of my car. Given such experience, I want good GC to help me crawl through such situations, even if it's once in few months.

I have scraped all my cars - WagonR, M800 and even the Seltos! Good part, I am a decent driver. I have always slowed down and mostly crawled through such situations and hence, there's no major damage ever except for some minor surface scratch. But even such minor scraping sound gives me a major heart ache.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 11:59   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The roads of Bihar have improved a lot in last decade or so. I remember driving down from hometown to Patna and the road was wide enough for just 2 small cars to overtake or cross each other without going off the road. If there is a bus or a truck, overtaking or crossing needed extra effort plus going on to the shoulder of road. The shoulders used to be atleast 6-8 inches down and enough to break whatever is in your engine bay. I've seen an i20 and a Swift losing their liquids due to this. The same road is now a 4 laned road but there are some patches where one has to go off road. Plus innumerable small roads within city with huge humps where every low slung car scrapes. So yes, we do need a car with acceptable GC although it's not a deal breaker.

I've voted for option 2 .I would love to have a sedan but the roads inside city are far from having a peaceful ride.

Another thing I've noticed is that we've had Santro (previous generation) earlier and a Wagon R now which have near similar GC. The Santro with same load on same speed breaker would glide through but the Wagon R would scrape. Even with good GC but soft suspension, a car with acceptable GC will scrape. So GC is not the only thing to escape the scraping but other factors also pitch in like suspension, wheelbase, overhangs etc.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:12   #43
BHPian

I voted for option 1 as I prefer cars with a lower stance for that sporty look. One thing however that has changed with the ownership experience of my 320i is that ground clearance requirement is greatly based on region and road quality. For my case, even though a lot of 3 series owners were happy with the ground clearance of the car, on the roads of Jaipur I often encounter large speed breakers that scrape the underbody even when I literally crawl over them. There have been instances that the low ground clearance has made me opt for another car to take on the journey than the BMW. I keep my fingers crossed and hope for better roads everyday!
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
that is what I had thought until the car was fully loaded.
Exactly. I too was very happy with GC of my DZire, until it was loaded with 4 adults and "appropriate" luggage. Then we went on rural Tamilnadu trips where GC reality dawned on me. What looks tall and ample, looks very different after load and on uneven rural roads.

The speed breaker that my undercarriage cleared, scraped my rear bumper. This was at crawl speed, even a child could have walked past us until we cleared this breaker.

My opinion of GC preference = max. load expected (Total # of adult passengers + 1 week worth baggage) + Terrain
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 13:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have been to Leh in my Swift Diesel from Mumbai, sure it did scrape a bit at some odd places, but more or less, it has been good. What worries me on Indian roads is the unscientific speed breakers, big potholes or even stones sometimes which I might find myself in at good speeds on the Indian highways, a good ground clearance just gives that added confidence to tide over these.

But to be honest, its in one of my wishlist to own something which has 190 to 200 ground clearance and still handles well, case in point the Fiat Linea which had a 185 or 190 mm (Not sure) ground clearance and still handled quite well, even the SX4 for that matter.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks