Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2007, 17:12   #1
BHPian

FMCG model for selling auto parts

This would be interesting to see. Not sure how well it will do though since most of them prefer getting parts from authorized service centres

Source: FMCG model for selling auto parts

The Minda Group, India's foremost auto component manufacturer, has announced a major initiative to aggressively target the after-sales market for its range of products. The group, in the first of its kind initiative in the auto component space, announced the roll out of its FMCG model for the after market (replacement market).
Old 16th March 2007, 17:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Will be interesting to see how this pans out for Minda. On the face of it, it looks brilliant but can you sell car parts how you sell a can of coke? It will also be a boost to well-meaning garages from the unauthorised segment. And will do good to eliminate / reduce counterfeits.
Old 16th March 2007, 18:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, auto parts are not fast moving consumer durables ( FMCG) but are plain and basic consumer durables that are purchased over a period of time. so retailing them off the shelf like FMCG products ain't that hot idea. It may work for some regularly replacing items like engile oil etc.

But, what auto parts does Minda manafacture? I think i heard of minda spark plugs but what others?
Old 17th March 2007, 08:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Will be a boon, walked into Whitefield Honda for a simple gasket. They make is very difficult

1: There is no parts counter unlike Mandovi Motors
2: If there is, it is a hole in the window in the service area
3: They insist on fitting it themselves

This is a breach of rights in my honour
Old 17th March 2007, 09:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat, Welcome to Honda ownership!
Old 17th March 2007, 11:09   #6
BHPian

In coimbatore there used to be (not sure if it still exist) a big over the shelf retailer selling 2 wheeler components. They used to sell from helmets to engine oils to silencer, and that was 10 years ago. That place used to be pretty busy and was doing good business.
Old 17th March 2007, 13:55   #7
BHPian

Hyderabad

If anyone has visited the Metro Stores in either hyderabad or Bangalore am sure they would not have missed out the Accessories section. They seem to have everything from Formula1 wax to quality seat covers, back rests, Oils, Perfumes, Steering wheel covers Bosch range of goods i.e, Horns, Batteries, plugs etc.

It's a no hassles shopping, Prices seem reasonable only hassle is fitting them is a DIY.
Old 17th March 2007, 14:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
If anyone has visited the Metro Stores in either hyderabad or Bangalore am sure they would not have missed out the Accessories section. They seem to have everything from Formula1 wax to quality seat covers, back rests, Oils, Perfumes, Steering wheel covers Bosch range of goods i.e, Horns, Batteries, plugs etc.

It's a no hassles shopping, Prices seem reasonable only hassle is fitting them is a DIY.
Suren, aren't metros a B2B store? I mean an end consumer cannot enter to make purchases. Atleast thats what i heard of the one here in Kukatpally, Hyderabad
Old 17th March 2007, 14:18   #9
BHPian

Hmm.. I'd love to see that happen. I was shocked when my mechanic charged me Rs. 180 for the air filter, and the same (same brand) costs Rs. 105 when bought from an auto-spares shop. And.. another surprise is - the box was marked MRP. Rs. 140.

But, I doubt if the company - Minda - can be profitable (unless they have some other hidden revenue stream), as I'm sure the auto-parts volumes aren't high enough for the FMCG model to work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks