Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2007, 23:52   #1
BHPian

Service query: When should these be 'replaced'?

Well today I went for the first 'paid' service of my Alto.
Now according to the car manual, the following things were to replaced at 20,000km OR 2 years:
-Engine oil,
-Oil filter
-Transmission oil,
-Engine coolant,
-Brake oil,
-Spark plugs.

But, there the service guy did NOT replace the last two items. On my enquiring about the same, he said that as my car had run much lesser (10k kms), the replacement was not required.
As for the Coolant, only topping up was done.

On the other hand, he did the fuel injection system and air intake system's cleaning. (costing about 1300)

Now my queries are, whether the brake oil, spark plugs and coolant should have been replaced? OR did he say the right thing?

Secondly, what is this with the "cleaning" of the injection system? Why hasnt maruti written about it in the service booklet?

Last edited by ess_a : 19th March 2007 at 23:54.
Old 20th March 2007, 00:05   #2
BHPian

I think you should have gone for the Brake Oil Change with Bleeding, Since the Oil has property to absorb moisture over period of time.

At least the Spark Plugs could have been checked, Cleaned and Gap adjusted if required.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 20th March 2007 at 00:10.
Old 20th March 2007, 00:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
the Oil has property to absorb moisture over periof of time.
Hey can oil really 'absorb' moisture? I mean arent the two, should i say, 'unmixable'??

Quote:
At least the Spark Plugs could have been checked, Cleaned and Gap adjusted if required.
That was done. But I am just worried of being left stranded somewhere with my spark plugs failing me. The service guy however did assure me that nothing of that sort would happen. Any possible future problems?

Last edited by ess_a : 20th March 2007 at 00:12.
Old 20th March 2007, 00:47   #4
BHPian

Yes because the Brake Fluid or Oil is made of Polyalkylene Glycol Ether. These fluids are hydroscopic (absorbs water). So they lose their property after a certain duration of time.
Old 20th March 2007, 01:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Now my queries are, whether the brake oil, spark plugs and coolant should have been replaced? OR did he say the right thing?
Brake fluid just needs to be topped up, However its better to bleed the system and replace the fluid atleast once in 10-15000 kms. If water gets in the fluid, the braking efficiency will be reduced. Coolant just needs to be topped. Better to change the plugs after 15000kms. They would still work, but the sparks may be weaker.

Quote:
Secondly, what is this with the "cleaning" of the injection system? Why hasnt maruti written about it in the service booklet?
Injectors can be cleaned once in 20000+ kms. Just an eye wash. If you have being using decent fuel, you shouldnt face much problems. Our Indian car injectors can stand much abuse as compared to imported ones considering the low quality of fuel in India.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 20th March 2007 at 01:04.
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:16   #6
BHPian

Thanx wolfinstein and mail4ajo.

Will surely do the needful around the 15k mark.

One more thing. After the service, both my steering and gears had stiffened up a bit. Though the gear shifts feel much better now, only the steering is making me sweat a little more (No power steering here). Is this normal? Coz it never happened in any of the previous services.
Old 23rd March 2007, 18:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more thing. After the service, both my steering and gears had stiffened up a bit.
Maybe your steering setup requires a overhaul though this is not normal. How is the conditions of your tires? If the tires are hard, it could relay to the steering.

Check the operation of the gear lever. Is there excessive play in the lever? Try pulling the lever up gently. There should be no shake at all. The gear lever bush is known to wear out fast
Old 23rd March 2007, 20:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

steering tightness: did u report any suspension steering sound? they might have tightened the damper, thats all

plugs: replace at 10 k kms, it aint worth saving that 200 bucks
brake fluid: replace after 2 years, again is only couple of hundred job including labour

both these you dont need to goto dealer, juts buy genuine part from a reputed shop and ask the regular mech to get it fixed
Old 24th March 2007, 07:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Injectors can be cleaned once in 20000+ kms. Just an eye wash. If you have being using decent fuel, you shouldnt face much problems.
An occasionaly dose of System-G could help you. I do that when ever I have to use fuel from a bunk that's not my normal filling station.
Old 24th March 2007, 12:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
An occasionaly dose of System-G could help you. I do that when ever I have to use fuel from a bunk that's not my normal filling station.
Hey Condor, What,s system G? Not heard that name before.
Old 24th March 2007, 12:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

IFTEX System-G - fuel additive. Should be available in Bharath Peroleum bunks. System-D for diesels.

We have discussed these before ..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-additive.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ex-yes-no.html

Last edited by condor : 24th March 2007 at 12:15.
Old 24th March 2007, 23:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Check the operation of the gear lever.
Well actually I am finding the gear shifts much better now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggu
steering tightness: did u report any suspension steering sound? they might have tightened the damper, thats all
Not actually that, but I did ask him to make sure that the steering got centralized. Can I get it loosened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggu
plugs: replace at 10 k kms, it aint worth saving that 200 bucks
brake fluid: replace after 2 years, again is only couple of hundred job including labour
Will do that. Dad also asked me to do the same. So...
What actually made me wonder was why did the service guy advice me NOT to go for them. Dont they need good sales? It was actually me, who was asking them to replace them, wherein most cases it is the vice versa..

@condor
I have heard that system g is not needed if one uses premium fuels. (I use Power)

And what is the interval between getting the injectors cleaned?
Old 26th March 2007, 10:49   #13
Team-BHP Support

steering centralizing doesnt have anything direct to steering damper though your mech might have tightened it too, it can be reversed and a five minute job

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks