Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 20:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gear slotting issues in my VW Polo

Hi Nec
To meet it seems as if it could be a adjustment issue with the gear linkages and shifter mechanism.
You need to find a good third party FNG who can do the adjustment in case the authorised workshop is not willing to do it. Basically this is a process to eliminate the play in the shift linkages.
The video below shows how this is done (I think yours should be the same gearbox, depending on your model and year)

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th August 2020 at 20:35.
Old 27th August 2020, 23:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec2152 View Post

Given that the problem is now present for all gears, what could be the more likely problem here: the shifter cables / gearshift housing etc, or the synchronization gears?

!

Each gear has its own synchromesh ring. Very unlikely they all develop the same problem around the same time.

Checking the gear linkage/cable should be a very straight forward job. Walk away from any body that makes a big deal out of it!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:13   #18
BHPian

I used to own a 1.2 2010 Polo TDI . Had exactly the same problem with the second gear though. Turns out the gear selector cable was worn out and had extended beyond its normal length. At the time, the SA said the entire gear selector assembly comes as a standalone part and cables are not replaceable separately and hence it was replaced which solved the issue. What was absolutely ridiculously was when the SA said the entire assembly has to be replaced, I agreed but when the old assembly was taken out, turns out the gear selector cable attaching mechanism was absolutely flexible and only a new cable would have solved the issue. Though, apparently VW wasnt supplying just the cable as a spare part at the time.
Old 6th September 2020, 04:15   #19
BHPian

Updates here:

Since I asked the SA and workshop team on 27th Aug to open up the three parts for inspection: shifter cable, relay cable and shifter housing, they did that even (supposedly) changed the shifter cable but the slotting issue didn't go away. The next step was to open up the gearbox and check out the syncros and other parts.

I had visited the service center again on Saturday 5th Sept. There were some parts in gearbox that were suggested for replacement. I got an estimate of nearly 50K INR including labor There are 2 synchro gears to be replaced, one synchro hub which is not freely moving, and a few others. For now I have given the go-ahead to procure the parts and start the work.

Listing down the parts here:
  1. Synchro Hub: 02T311301F : 14672 INR
  2. Synchro Rings (two to be replaced): 02T311269F : 6610 INR
  3. Support: 02T311206J : 5357 INR
  4. Ring: 02T311321 : 137 INR
  5. Gear Oil: G0SSS12A2: 2200 INR
  6. Sealant : AMV18320003 : 5182 INR
  7. Gasket : 02T301215H: 1750 INR
  8. Bold : {PartNumber Missing}: 3000 INR
Labour is separate - 5500 INR.
GST to be levied separately as applicable..

Couple of questions around a few parts, if folks could help reduce the damage:
  • Synchro hub: Most expensive of the bunch and it was not moving smoothly as per them (I didn't do a good job this time to check each part for fault myself). Is there a chance of the synchro hub going bad along with synchro gears?
  • Syncro rings: The syncro rings felt a bit rough on the inner side of the ring. Is that's how they go bad?
  • Is the Gasket (02T301215H) really to be replaced every-time the gearbox is opened? Or would that depend on the condition of the gasket? I forgot inspect the one that they removed.
  • Sealant: I understand this may be required, but should I ask for any sort of warranty against sealant work not carried out properly and causing leaks in near future?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 11:54. Reason: Formatting
Old 6th September 2020, 07:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I had visited the service center again on Saturday 5th Sept. There were some parts in gearbox that were suggested for replacement. I got an estimate of nearly 50K INR including labor There are 2 synchro gears to be replaced, one synchro hub which is not freely moving, and a few others.
I know it’s an old car and all, I’m sorry, but WHAT?! A manual gearbox needing an overhaul with hardly 88,000kms driven?! What in the world is going on here?!

Try your best to get VW to bear the majority of the costs for this job (goodwill repair) as in my eyes, this is premature wear of the gearbox. A manual gearbox requiring so much work, so early in its lifespan, is just unthinkable.

The elephant in the room is the fact that you’re still on your factory clutch, and VW hasn’t even recommended for it to be replaced, which leads me to believe that you have good driving habits.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Hi.

Same thing I've observed in my Vento as well. My observation was a slight error in timing of the clutch & gear shifting causes this gear grinding. Just shift gear with proper pressure on the gear knob & it will shift properly. It's a euro car so it's naturally heavy.

You have your fair experience with the car so my above suggestions might be quite obvious also. But changing the clutch won't solve this issue because my clutch is just 10-12k kms old. Just in case you still are not satisfied with the gear shift, try simpler things first. For example, changing transmission oil, removing floor mat, etc.

Sometimes, trying to fix a niggle can give rise to unnecessary other problems to the car. Try not to touch the factory fittings.

Btw Polo 1.6 is a rare car. Enjoy!
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:51   #22
BHPian

I have been facing exact same issue with my Polo 1.2 (2013) model since couple of days. The 3rd gear does not get slotted properly sometimes. And it usually happens at low rpm's, if I push the accelerator is little more, it gets slotted. And my car has just done ~36k only due to only being driven in chaotic gurgaon city.
I am scared of going to VW service centers as I had 2 encounters with both the VW service centers in gurgaon which left me frustrated. Now searching for some reliable FNG
Ambersariya87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambersariya87 View Post
I have been facing exact same issue with my Polo 1.2 (2013) model since couple of days. The 3rd gear does not get slotted properly sometimes. And it usually happens at low rpm's, if I push the accelerator is little more, it gets slotted. And my car has just done ~36k only due to only being driven in chaotic gurgaon city.
I am scared of going to VW service centers as I had 2 encounters with both the VW service centers in gurgaon which left me frustrated. Now searching for some reliable FNG
You can go to the Bosch Xpert Car Service near Unitech Cyberpark, Sector 39 Gurgaon. That is where I get my Skoda Laura serviced and I am quite happy with them.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 11:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Updates here:

Since I asked the SA and workshop team on 27th Aug to open up the three parts for inspection: shifter cable, relay cable and shifter housing, they did that even (supposedly) changed the shifter cable but the slotting issue didn't go away. The next step was to open up the gearbox and check out the syncros and other parts.
Hi nec2152. Was this problem finally resolved? Did you end up changing the gear synchros?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 11:54. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 27th December 2020, 15:48   #25
BHPian

Yep the original issue of the 3rd gear not slotting has been fixed. The following parts were changed. Total bill for the gearbox surgery = ~43K.

Quote:
  • Synchro Hub: 02T311301F : 14672 INR
  • Synchro Rings (two to be replaced): 02T311269F : 6610 INR
  • Support: 02T311206J : 5357 INR
  • Ring: 02T311321 : 137 INR
  • Gear Oil: G0SSS12A2: 2200 INR
  • Sealant : AMV18320003 : 5182 INR
  • Gasket : 02T301215H: 1750 INR
Gear slotting issues in my VW Polo-gearbox-repair-bill-page-1.jpg
Gear slotting issues in my VW Polo-gearbox-repair-bill-page-2.jpg

I now have two new issues with the gearbox.
  1. The reverse gear sometimes does not slot as if it hit a hard wall. Refuses to go in no matter how hard you push. There was no problem with reverse gear when I gave in the car for gearbox surgery.
    Reverse gear as I understand does not usually have a synchro and slotting is not perfect for it. If reverse feels difficult to slot, car should be moved a bit (e.g slot it in 1st gear and move it forward a few inches) the reverse then should slot fine. For my car however, when the reverse slotting problem happens, it now takes a lot of tries (like 10-15) for it to finally slot, and moving the car forward does not help.
    The reverse problem is also intermittent , and I have observed if the car is idle for a long period then the problem comes back for a couple of days and goes away again.

2. Also, when un-slotting the reverse gear, when the gear stick is coming back up towards the car roof, it kinda gets stuck in between for a moment before popping up to the normal height. Sort of a two-stage action that the hand can feel. This wasn't the case before.
    If you're unaware, in normal operation, polo/vento gearshift has to be pushed towards the floor for shifting into reverse, and it comes back up when unslotting the reverse gear. In my car, this gearstick rising back up action has changed now after the surgery.

I had taken it to the service center again and was not able to reproduce the reverse gear issue fully in front of them.

I am waiting for the problem to intensify enough that it can be shown to the service center. They have claimed that the gearbox work that was done has a warranty of 2 years so I need not worry even if any problem shows up in a few months.

I did not have many service related issues before this. I too am now in the VW service issues boat with everyone else
nec2152 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 13:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Yep the original issue of the 3rd gear not slotting has been fixed. The following parts were changed. Total bill for the gearbox surgery = ~43K.
I had the exact same issue in the same car (1.6 polo 2011). I was quoted a similar repair charges by the authorized center. I wasn't prepared to spend that much on such an old car and consequently took it to a FNG. They had to change the entire assembly and costed me 11.5k. I suspect that new parts aren't original but it has solved the problem for now and hopefully should be okay for some time till i change my car.

Quote:
Also, when un-slotting the reverse gear, when the gear stick is coming back up towards the car roof, it kinda gets stuck in between for a moment before popping up to the normal height.
I have the same issue after the repairs too!

Last edited by NT56 : 18th November 2021 at 13:09. Reason: missed a point
NT56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
Quote:
Also, when un-slotting the reverse gear, when the gear stick is coming back up towards the car roof, it kinda gets stuck in between for a moment before popping up to the normal height. Sort of a two-stage action that the hand can feel. This wasn't the case before.
I have the same issue after the repairs too!
During the next routine service which happened in Dec 2021 at the authorized VAG center, I told them about the reverse gear shift action getting stuck on return, and the SA noted it down for some greasing. The weird 2 stage action of the gearshifter coming back up is sorted now. If I remember they charged me some small labor about for this but worth the small cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks