Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Dysfunctional rear RHS brake lights

Starting this thread after lot of keen observations made across the cities of Chennai, Bengaluru & New Delhi. For the first time non-functional right hand side brake lights were quite common in Ford Cars. For e.g. Figo, Classic, Ecosport, but subsequently for the past few months I have noticed this issue even in Hyundai cars, especially the Grand i10s and few Maruti cars as well.

Earlier this trend was more prominent in yellow board vehicles, but now personal vehicles showing this trend is disturbing. I am not mechanical expert to understand the nitty-gritty of this failure, but this is alarming. In more developed countries dysfunctional tail lamps lead to challans and severe fines. But, I have never seen in India for real, that somebody got pulled up for dysfunctional tail lamp or non-operational headlamps. I have also not noticed anybody switching on the headlamps in the twilight time and the lights come only when its pitch dark. This will be more rampant nowadays as DRLs have kicked in.

But, surely this issue needs to be addressed by the OEMs.
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 10:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dysfunctional rear RHS brake lights

I have had this issue with my Vento 3-4 times during my ownership period. The RHS brake light conks off or works randomly. Multiple times during trips if someone else in the family is following me, they point out it was not working, but when I check it seemed to be fine. Most recently last week when I had taken to the service center for some other issue, during a routine electrical check it was found the RHS light was not working and the bulb holder had melted. Sounded weird. Interesting to hear that it is a widespread issue.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 17:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dysfunctional rear RHS brake lights

Mod Note: Thread moved to Tech Stuff!
Old 22nd April 2022, 00:13   #4
BHPian

Re: Dysfunctional rear RHS brake lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I have had this issue with my Vento 3-4 times during my ownership period. The RHS brake light conks off or works randomly.

Most recently last week when I had taken to the service center for some other issue, during a routine electrical check it was found the RHS light was not working and the bulb holder had melted. Sounded weird. Interesting to hear that it is a widespread issue.
My Vento's LHS brake light has stopped working too. Going to get it rectified soon and hope they don't charge me an arm and a leg.

The electronics of this car (and seemingly not a small no. of modern cars) are somewhat disappointing - first the ABS sensors that inevitably fail, the electric boot opener motor has conked off, one day the car's ambient temperature sensor stopped working and started working again of it's own accord and of course, always the terrifying possibility of a DSG failure.

I believe electronics get better over time, so it's so strange to see that the ABS sensors, brake lights, etc. in cars from 2005 or so work perfectly fine while all these modern cars have a myriad of issues.

Back to the thread, I've noticed it's become quite common nowadays for cars to have one headlight not working, some cabs have no brake lights at all (even the central high-mounted lamp doesn't glow!) and I hope at some point these things start getting taken more seriously in our country. When I asked around about this at some point, I found out that a few cab/auto drivers believe that having the headlights on wastes fuel, so they leave it off for as long as possible!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks