Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 23:50   #1
BHPian

RPM doesn't return to idle soon

I got my Santro erlx March 2006 model serviced yesterday ... a very strange problem has come up and I really don't know why it should come up just after getting it serviced ... as per the service advisor the car was in great shape and nothing wrong with the car

The car starts normally and rpm increases during starting and goes back to idle in 2-3 secs ...

Once I am on the move and press the accelerator and release it the rpm does not return to idle immediately it takes 2-3 seconds and its approximately as high as if AC is on whereas the AC is off ...

I tried searching for other RPM related issues in the forum but they were mostly about erratic idle ...

Here it is slightly different the rpm once they return to idle it stays there till i press the accelerator and release it ...

Something like the following happens without AC

800 rpm -> press accelerator ->2500 rpm -> release accelerator ->1100 rpm -> delay of about 2 secs -> 800 rpm

Any help is very well appreciated ...
Old 29th March 2007, 08:54   #2
BHPian

Get the throttle cable adjustment and sensor position checked... It is okay for idle to take some time to get back to normall, but 2-3 seconds is on the higher side.
Old 29th March 2007, 18:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

800 rpm -> press accelerator ->2500 rpm -> release accelerator ->1100 rpm -> delay of about 2 secs -> 800 rpm

This happens in my Santro too, though I do not have a tacho, but can hear the whine of the engine even as i lift my foot off the throttle, or depress the clutch completely while in motion, sometimes I feel like I don't need to press accelerator at all, as the engine RPM goes high.
Old 29th March 2007, 18:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

check your cable and get your throttle body serviced
Old 1st April 2007, 15:01   #5
BHPian

This happens to Santro.. I had this problem. Actually its not a problem. You could get used to it. I had this issues with some Matiz also. May be cars with fuel injection have this prob. But if it takes more than 2 seconds you have to take your car to an Authorised service centre and check that. It can be dangerous sometimes.
Old 1st April 2007, 17:01   #6
BHPian

My santro too had this problem. I have sold the car now, but i think it is the way the ECU manages the engine.

My theory is that Santro "learns" a little as we drive and adjusts some parameters. I had tried an experiment of removing the battery connections and plugging them back. After doing this, the "2 second" problem was no longer there - but only for about 200 or 300 kms. It came back again. So, i am thinking Santro stores some parameters which gets reset when the battery connections are removed.
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
My santro too had this problem. I have sold the car now, but i think it is the way the ECU manages the engine.

My theory is that Santro "learns" a little as we drive and adjusts some parameters. I had tried an experiment of removing the battery connections and plugging them back. After doing this, the "2 second" problem was no longer there - but only for about 200 or 300 kms. It came back again. So, i am thinking Santro stores some parameters which gets reset when the battery connections are removed.
yes could be ...
but lets guess what parameter the ECU is trying to mantain by not dropping the revs to 800 quickly again .. ?
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

i think it is normal occurence in santro....but one can try removing the battery to reset the ecu....but one thing I dont think this removing the battery would make much of a differnce...
Old 2nd April 2007, 06:22   #9
BHPian

I had this in my ALTO earlier and I think it is not an issue. For me, this happens when the engine is cool and when the engine runs for a about 5 to 10 minutes, then this behaviour disappeared. But I always keep my AC on.
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:06   #10
BHPian

I havent tried removing battery connections.
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:57   #11
BHPian

When I switched to a new Santro 8 months back from Carb M800 and carb Esteem, I found it very annonying that it take a while for RPM to come down even after releasing accelerator and fully depressing clutch. This was ending up as not so smooth gear shift. Visited Advaith service station couple of times and everytime they explained that this normal behavior of the car.

Untill recently I was thinking that it's because of MPFI engine. Now since many members are experiencing same issue, I am coming to the terms that this *is* the way Santro behaves.
Old 4th June 2007, 19:34   #12
BHPian

Erratic RPM on the Ikon 1.6 (ROCAM Engine)

I have this problem with my 2005 1.6 Ikon. It's been like this for quite some time now.
Start engine -> 2000 rpm, it keeps up there for a long time.. i asked the authorised guys, and they say it's because of petrol from diff vendors... i don't know how true that could be... haven't been able to spend time on it all this while. thought i'd check out the forum, but looks like we don't have this problem on a large scale. I tried the mech's advice, filling almost 3-4 tank fulls from the same vendor (SHELL in blore). and haven't been able to find any difference. in fact its like the car has a mind of it's own, it comes back to normal without much fanfare and goes up all of a sudden too..
anybody with an idea on what could be the problem..
shall try the battery disconnect option once, and post asap...
but in the meanwhile if someone's had this prob, and had managed to get it solved, please do post..
Old 4th June 2007, 19:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
I have this problem with my 2005 1.6 Ikon. It's been like this for quite some time now.
Start engine -> 2000 rpm, it keeps up there for a long time.. i asked the authorised guys, and they say it's because of petrol from diff vendors... i don't know how true that could be... haven't been able to spend time on it all this while. thought i'd check out the forum, but looks like we don't have this problem on a large scale. I tried the mech's advice, filling almost 3-4 tank fulls from the same vendor (SHELL in blore). and haven't been able to find any difference. in fact its like the car has a mind of it's own, it comes back to normal without much fanfare and goes up all of a sudden too..
anybody with an idea on what could be the problem..
shall try the battery disconnect option once, and post asap...
but in the meanwhile if someone's had this prob, and had managed to get it solved, please do post..
Get your throttle body cleaned. It will solve your problem.
Old 4th June 2007, 20:04   #14
BHPian

i have a 2001 santro ( 1 litre engine) , have had these issues with rpm too.. i had mentioned this to the service station on 3 consecutive services..but nothing could be done about it, so i've just made my peace with it now.. anyways, its not too frequent also, how often does it happen with the rest of you guys?
Old 4th June 2007, 20:19   #15
BANNED

Could be sticky throttle plates, ISC etc. do a scan and tell Ford to rectify this, also spray some carb cleaner in your intake tract, and add some STP Fuel Injector cleaner to your gas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks