Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2007, 15:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Oil change interval - why the difference for a hatch and sedan ?

As per MUL, the first oil and oil-filter change for my Baleno is at 1000kms. The next one is at 10000kms and thereafter every 10000kms. Ditto for other comparitive sedans like the Fiesta. (Infact Fiesta does not even have an oil change at 1000kms - the first one is only at 10000kms).

However with our M800s, the oil and filter change interval is every 5000kms. Here I am assuming that the engine oil used by the service stations is the same for both cars. If so, why should it last only 5000kms for the smaller and less-powerful M800, while it goes for double the miles on a Baleno ?

I usually go by the schedule mentioned in the service book and take the manufacturer for their word. So, even while I am at 15000kms+, I have not changed the oil and plan to do it only at 20000kms. Is this OK ?

Would appreciate replies from owners of petrol sedans (Flair, Fiesta, Petra, Aveo, NHC, Optra, Indigo, Esteem etc) about the oil changing schedules prescribed for their cars. Also, would like to know the interval at which Baleno owners on the forum do their oil change.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th March 2007 at 15:08.
Old 30th March 2007, 15:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

newer gen cars have oil change at 10k, so hope you have checked new mpfi 800 manual before concluding

sedans some have 5 k for egs honda who insist on oil change at 5k for their vehicle

details, again this was discussed before here
Old 30th March 2007, 15:24   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

the MPFI 800 says 10k kms...
NHC 5k kms.....

All the Maruti's we have seem to be doing good with the 10k kms oil change interval.. ever after 70k kms.... really embarrassing for the Honda.... 5k is too less. .. i.e. goto service every 2-3 months....
Old 30th March 2007, 15:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Infact Fiesta does not even have an oil change at 1000kms - the first one is only at 10000kms
I'd like to see how long the Fiesta blocks last with this sort of service.
Old 30th March 2007, 15:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
newer gen cars have oil change at 10k, so hope you have checked new mpfi 800 manual before concluding
Our M800s are the carb type. I did not know that the interval changed on the basis of whether the car is carb or MPFI.

Anyway just now I had a look at the manual of M800 MPFI on MUL's website and yes you are correct. It is 10K kms for the current crop of M800s also. So this answers my question.

I was at the service centre a week ago for getting a complimentary car wash + wheel alignment/balancing (using a voucher that came along with insurance renewal). The service advisor looks at the odo (15030) and says "Sir, it is time to do the 9-point check advised at 5000kms interval". I tell him that no 5000km interval service or check is mentioned in the service book. He says, "Sir, it is not mentioned, but still should be done".

What is this all about ? I mean, the car manufacturer does not suggest any check at 5K kms and the service guys want me to get it done?
Is it worth it or is it just a way for the service guys to make some money ?
Old 30th March 2007, 15:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

theory apart, real life scenario no oil change at 1000 km will not kill the block or anything

yeah CAN/MIGHT cause some additional wear and MIGHT be a risk, but nothing that will absolutely ruin the engine and i DONT mean to say 1 k oil change is stupidity

manufacturer would have thought about it right?
Old 30th March 2007, 15:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

9 point check or something similar was always there and is available with most of the manufacturer, this is nothing but a quick health update and if something shows up they will rectify, especially true for vehicles which cover very less km or can be done before you undertake a long journey and all
Old 30th March 2007, 16:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
NHC 5k kms..... really embarrassing for the Honda.... 5k is too less. .. i.e. goto service every 2-3 months....
Hmmm. Why 5K for the Honda ? Translates straightaway to double the maintenance expenditure for a given interval.

@SLK, you do 5000 kms every 2-3 months ? Man, that is some running. I find it tough to do that in 1 year. My 20K (2 years) service was due this month, but all I have is 15K on the odo. One disadvantage of car-pooling.
Old 30th March 2007, 16:49   #9
BHPian

I have changed the oil on my Baleno at 15k km, only out of sheer habit. I had a Ford diesel before that needed changes every 5000 km. Then I realised that I need not have done so.
My hyundai Getz is happy with oil changes every 10k km. My previous Hyundai Santro also went on a 10k diet till I sold it at 65k kms. That Santro never died on me, and still had it's original tires.
IMHO a new MPFI petrol car needs changes only every 10,000 km, unless it is being subjected to short trips (which do not allow the oil to heat up enough, and dusty environments.
Old 30th March 2007, 16:51   #10
BHPian

Just check The Oil quantities too.. one of the secrets inside the industry for doubling the OIl change interval is to double the Oil capacity.... He Hee.. Just Check whether the NHC and baleno has similar oil quantities...
Old 30th March 2007, 16:59   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is this all about ? I mean, the car manufacturer does not suggest any check at 5K kms and the service guys want me to get it done?
Always; The service department makes more money than the sales (car) department. Therefore, you will see them pushing for more frequent checkups and service.

An example; Linkway insists on an oil change for the Vtec every 5000 kms. Honda doesnt.

Quote:
However with our M800s, the oil and filter change interval is every 5000kms. Here I am assuming that the engine oil used by the service stations is the same for both cars. If so, why should it last only 5000kms for the smaller and less-powerful M800, while it goes for double the miles on a Baleno ?
A shot in the dark but maybe it has to do with:

1. The engine oil of the Baleno being of a higher grade?

2. The 800 engine, being basic and old-school, does not have the lubrication superiority of the Baleno?

3. The 800 engine, at the same speed as the Baleno, is more stressed?
Old 30th March 2007, 17:22   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An example; Linkway insists on an oil change for the Vtec every 5000 kms. Honda doesn't.
And here (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil) team-bhp recommends oil changes at 5-7.5k kms.

Just a thought, if the manufacturer recommends oil change while using normal (read mineral) oil at 10k kms... then its only safe to assume that synthetic oils can last a bit more.... say 15-20k kms. So isn't that recommendation too conservative?

Last edited by SLK : 30th March 2007 at 17:24.
Old 30th March 2007, 17:42   #13
BHPian

@ GTO as far as i Know basic and old school engines are much tolerant to bad oil's... which transalates as.. you can run the oils in it for long..

new gen engines need the Engine oil in the prime condition.... the clearances are less ( both oil film bearings and piston bore interface).. so any slight deviation in the oil properties leads to reduced performance....

I feel the new gen Engines are more senasitive to OIl quality as like Fuel quality..

The way manufacturesrs offset it is by increasing the Oil quantuty I believe... Double the Oil quantity and tell them The Oil Change inerval has doubled...

I have one experiance of a manufacturer doing this.... :-)
Old 30th March 2007, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

for oil change intervals it is recommended to follow the car maintenance manual if you are using mineral oil. in case of synthetic and semi syn follow the team-bhp experts advice.
a word of caution though for those using free flow air intakes specially ractive extreme, the more dust environment the more your oil is working in picking up the dust passing through filter. i noticed this while cleaning my car throttle body. so for the hard driven cars it is prefered to keep a check on oil condition and change when you think it is appropriate to. even at 10000kms your syn oil cost comes to only 20paise per km.
Old 31st March 2007, 10:04   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Just a thought, if the manufacturer recommends oil change while using normal (read mineral) oil at 10k kms... then its only safe to assume that synthetic oils can last a bit more.... say 15-20k kms. So isn't that recommendation too conservative?
Naah, I wouldnt go over 10,000 kms. Whichever the oil. Our driving conditions are too harsh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks