Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 18:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb TSI AT "press brake" problem on MID; car does not move

Thanks to Srikanth Ravipati for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just joined this group today as I need your inputs on a problem that I'm running into with my Skoda vehicle.

Here is the problem I'm seeing with my Skoda Superb L&K TSI AT (couple of years old now), and it has driven just 20k km. Randomly, sometimes, while the car is in Drive, it starts showing "Press Brake" on the MID. And after that is shown, I see the "emission check yellow light" popping up on the instrument cluster. Once the "press brake" message comes, the vehicle won't move even if the acceleration pedal is pressed. During that time, it shows that the rpm is increasing, but speedometer does not change as the vehicle is not moving. Thereafter, when I switch off the engine and switch it on again, it works fine. I am then able to move the vehicle and drive it smoothly! I am not hearing any sounds from the gearbox as well. But this problem seems to be occurring quite frequently! Atleast once, whenever the vehicle is taken out for a drive. Has anyone seen this kind of an issue? Or any inputs what could have gone wrong?

Attached is a picture of the indication along with the video. Just wanted to take a few inputs on what could be the issue in this case before taking the car to the service center.

Please guide and provide inputs!

Regards,
-Shree-
Skoda Superb TSI AT "press brake" problem on MID; car does not move-screenshot_20201011124236_whatsapp.jpg

Last edited by ChiragM : 12th October 2020 at 18:57.
ChiragM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 09:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb TSI AT "press brake" problem on MID; car does not move

Seems like the car is going into a limp mode of sort. Taking it to the skoda service Center is your best bet. No home remedy for such issues usually.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 11:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Seems like the car is going into a limp mode of sort. Taking it to the skoda service Center is your best bet. No home remedy for such issues usually.
Agree, only Skoda Service can help you here. It is also downright dangerous to drive - imagine coming to a halt on the KIAL toll road in the fast lane.

Please avoid driving and have it checked immediately. Assume it is under warranty?
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

You need to take it to Skoda and get it checked, seems like some error is popping up from one of the sensors and causing this issue. A scan should reveal what the issue is, but do not ignore it since this is a dangerous issue to drive around with.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 21:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Take it back, my guess is that this happens as you slowdown, the car thinks you are stopping hence cuts power and asks you to apply the brake, assuming that you are stationary.

Last edited by ajmat : 14th October 2020 at 09:12.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 08:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

The press brake icon in all probability indicates a problem with your transmission - as indicated earlier - sensors / software. It is NOT a problem with your brakes.

However DO NOT keep switching off your engine as it creates a temporary reset to the issue and can probably catch you out seriously.

Your car should be in the ASS at the earliest. Would be good to have an update on the issue after your visit.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:21   #7
BHPian

My guess is the problem lies with the shifter and the sensor is getting a 'N' indication when the car is actually in drive so it is commanding a brake pedal depress to shift gears. I'm guessing your car is covered under warranty, so no hassle, just take it to Skoda.
adityasatish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 18:26   #8

Was the cause for this issue found and resolved ?

I am facing a similar issue with my Octavia 1.8 TSI since the past two days. After a cold start I got this "Apply Brake" message on the MID while the car was in motion (D mode). The car did not take the accelerator input, I had to steer the car to the side and switch off and restart for the MID message to go. Both the days the error message came only after a cold start of the car and within 1km from start. Post that I drove around 50-60 km each day and no issue.

I did take the car to the Skoda workshop yesterday after the message popped up the first time as I dreaded the DSG failure issue. The workshop guys test drove the car and also hooked it up to their scanner but did not find any issue. They did a 'reset' of the DSG (not exactly sure what it does though) and handed the car back. But the message popped up again today in a similar scenario as yesterday.

Will be checking again tomorrow as well post a cold star. Would be helpful if the OP could share the resolution if any to his problem
rodmart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 07:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmart View Post
Was the cause for this issue found and resolved ?
To give a closure to my post. The issue was identified as a Mechatronics failure. Had to visit the workshop multiple times (change battery, capture logs, ...). Took nearly 5 months from the issue first being cropped up and the part being replaced. The issue became more and more frequent, but luckily for me it used to happen only once in the day and that too only in the first 2-3 kms. I used to be careful for the first 5-10 kms.

Overall cost to the pocket was Rs 97K, including part and labor. Skoda has supposedly reduced the price of the Mechatronics part and hence was not ready to give any goodwill discount.

It has been around 3 weeks since the Mechatronics change and the car is now smooth as butter
rodmart is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks