Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 17:21   #1
BHPian

2000-rupee fix for the BMW 3-Series steering knock problem (F30)

For those of you who have that steering knock when the wheel is fully turned and going over bumps, this is the repair kit I picked up from BMW Navneet on the airport road in Bangalore. It has the part number and price. I got this changed and the problem has not returned.

2000-rupee fix for the BMW 3-Series steering knock problem (F30)-img_20201013_165412.jpg2000-rupee fix for the BMW 3-Series steering knock problem (F30)-img_20201013_165420.jpg

I called the reception, gave the lady the part number, she checked and confirmed that it's in stock and booked it for me. I drove there, picked it up and asked the SA as to why they wanted to change the entire steering rack and charge me approx. Rs. 2L, when BMW had released a Rs. 2K repair kit for this very well known problem. He had no answer to that at all. Oh well, we owners of these beautiful machines need to be on top of our game with service centers.

Last edited by Moontan : 13th October 2020 at 17:26.
Moontan is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 19:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Steering knock repair kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
when BMW had released a Rs. 2K repair kit for this very well known problem.
How did you get to know about this repair kit?

What is the part in the kit which solves the issue?
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
How did you get to know about this repair kit?

What is the part in the kit which solves the issue?
There are 3 parts that make up this kit. There is the knuckle, which wears out over time, as BMW in all their wisdom made this out of a weak plastic/fibre looking material. This has now been replaced by a material for the knuckle that is noticeably tougher. Then there is the tension spring and the screw-on aluminium round cover with two holes to tighten and loosen. You can use a chuck of an angle grinder as it's exactly the same size to tighten and loosen the cover. The spring needs to be tightened using the cover by 1/8th turns at a time, after tightening it till it fits well, till the knock disappears. You'll know if you've over tightened because you will lose self centring in your steering. Loosen by 1/8th turns till all is well.

All three parts should be changed but it's the knuckle/plunger that is the root cause of the problem. You'll know when you have the problem because our roads and it's potholes and speed breakers will let you know, but the video below shows you how to check it for yourself.

Last edited by Moontan : 13th October 2020 at 20:08.
Moontan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For those of you who have that steering knock when the wheel is fully turned and going over bumps, this is the repair kit I picked up... I asked the SA as to why they wanted to change the entire steering rack and charge me approx. Rs. 2L, when BMW had released a Rs. 2K repair kit for this very well known problem. He had no answer to that at all.
What's worse is that this is a known issue with the F30, and if your SA didn't know of it, it was alarmingly ignorant on his part, or if he did know of it and he ignored it, it's wilfully conniving as he wanted to charge you about 100x for a cheap fix. BMW service is generally quite good here in Bombay, but yes, you have to be on your guard.
iliketurtles is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
What's worse is that this is a known issue with the F30, and if your SA didn't know of it, it was alarmingly ignorant on his part, or if he did know of it and he ignored it, it's wilfully conniving as he wanted to charge you about 100x for a cheap fix. BMW service is generally quite good here in Bombay, but yes, you have to be on your guard.
I don't get my car serviced by BMW. I just use their service centres to buy spare parts after calling in to enquire on availability and booking what I need. You can see the name of the receptionist with the date I called her on to book this kit.

Before I picked up the kit, out of curiosity, I had a SA look at the symptoms. He said this is a very common problem with a 6 year old F30 and the rack needs replacing. That's when I burst his bubble with BMW's officially released repair kit. I don't trust a dealer and his service apparatus with my car at all. BMW made this so cheap that I think their cabin perfume holders are more expensive.

The steering knock is also a problem you can live with. It won't damage your car. It's just annoying and a little embarrassing, to be honest.

Last edited by Moontan : 13th October 2020 at 20:42.
Moontan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get my car serviced by BMW. I just use their service centres to buy spare parts after calling in to enquire on availability and booking one. You can see the name of the receptionist with the date I called her on to book this kit.
I'd gotten the same steering damper changed a few months back before the lockdown at Navnit motors, Electronic city. Had the same symptoms of knocking noise when going over some rough roads, which went away after the fix, and the steering became noticeably more precise around dead center (didn't feel loose before, but the improvement was there).

Replacing this part is not easy and the official repair document from BMW has a lot of precise steps & measurements that need to be done in order to do this job well and calibrate the steering. You need special tools as well. If you don't follow their instructions, there's always a chance that you'll end up with a knackered rack in some time due to over-tightening at some places.

I paid around 6K (After getting some discount on labor charges) including the cost of the part if I remember correctly. The service guys said that they've changed this part on many other cars too and their problems have been solved as well. Given the low cost and the complex nature of the replacement, I don't see any point in getting this done from anywhere outside of the BMW network.

Last edited by d3mon : 13th October 2020 at 20:45.
d3mon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 21:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The service guys said that they've changed this part on many other cars too and their problems have been solved as well. Given the low cost and the complex nature of the replacement, I don't see any point in getting this done from anywhere outside of the BMW network.
Each to their own, my friend. What I do know is that this is a very simple procedure. Nothing complex about it at all. It's recommended you do an alignment after. She's done over 10K since the replacement over all sorts of road conditions and the fix is still as good as when it was put in. These cars are very easy and relatively cheap to maintain. What I really like about BMW is that they own up to a problem and cheaply out a fix. Most BMW owners worldwide are DIYers, once warranty is over. They know that and build their machines accordingly.
Moontan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 08:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2000-rupee fix for the BMW 3-Series steering knock problem (F30)

Moontan, thanks a ton for sharing! Moving your post to a new thread for greater visibility & searchability .
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 03:17   #9
BHPian

So is this fix only limited to F30's? Do the newer models have the same problems?
Old 16th October 2020, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

This procedure has been provided by BMW since past 2 years and is only applicable to F25,F30 and F34 with ZF EPS assemblies. The other EPS installed in these car is made by Thyssenkrupp and for these the complete EPS still has to be changed.

As mentioned by d3mon, this replacement needs special tools with correct torquing and adjustment in micrometers. In case someone has a similar concern and this part is applicable, it is recommended to replace it at the BMW dealer.
Maverick5490 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 17:33   #11
BHPian

I am facing a similar albeit slightly different issue with 2017 BMW X1 F48.
The steering makes a continuous cracking noise while turning at very low speeds of upto 20 kmph. Any higher speed and the sound is not present/not audible.
Also, after the recent service, the sound went away but returned 2 days later.
What could be the probable cause (as well as fix) for the same?
Old 7th December 2020, 17:36   #12
BHPian

My F56 Cooper S has the exact same issue and the saem Navnit wanted to change suspension parts.

Need to figure out if the same part is used across BMW cars. Thanks for this post!
Old 17th December 2020, 15:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
I am facing a similar albeit slightly different issue with 2017 BMW X1 F48.
The steering makes a continuous cracking noise while turning at very low speeds of upto 20 kmph. Any higher speed and the sound is not present/not audible.
Also, after the recent service, the sound went away but returned 2 days later.
What could be the probable cause (as well as fix) for the same?
Yes. The steering issue described in this thread can only be noticed (carcking sound) at low speeds. I would think it's the same problem. Very easy to fix if it is.
Moontan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 01:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. The steering issue described in this thread can only be noticed (carcking sound) at low speeds. I would think it's the same problem. Very easy to fix if it is.
Got the Brake Hose & Shock Absorbers replaced at BMW ASS for 18k during the last service. The noise has totally disappeared and the car has become much smoother.
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
Got the Brake Hose & Shock Absorbers replaced at BMW ASS for 18k during the last service. The noise has totally disappeared and the car has become much smoother.
BMW replaced your shock absorbers for 18K? What?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks