Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 09:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI Engine Stall Problem - need any expert comments?

Other solution: Worked for my Ikon 1.3 Flair
I had the same issue- car would stall (Now I realise it was only while downshifting. It always happened only on highways-shifting from 5th to 2nd or 3rd. Or city streets- clutch-brake-turn, then downshift). There was nothing wrong with my clutch sensor. However, a cleaning of the throttle body and fuel injectors ended the problem.
Old 29th June 2012, 07:42   #17
BHPian

Suppose the VIN will give some clue? As to the readily seen differences, what about the idler pulley (plastic vs metla) that you mentioned? Its the same in both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
I have checked , the changes are only with the internals between the 1.3 and 1.6. Anyone who can help with some differences?
Old 29th June 2012, 10:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Suppose the VIN will give some clue? As to the readily seen differences, what about the idler pulley (plastic vs metla) that you mentioned? Its the same in both?
Idler pulley if original can help otherwise it wont. I am yet to find a concrete method other than pulling the head open and measuring the cylinder dia.

Last edited by Catalyst_delhi : 29th June 2012 at 10:07. Reason: grammar
Old 13th October 2014, 22:41   #19
BHPian

Sorry to bump the old thread...

My Ikon 1.6 engine is stalling frequently when clutch is pressed for changing gears, this happens only when AC is switched ON. If I drive without AC there is no problem..

Any pointers?!
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:10   #20
BHPian

Engine stalls when clutch pressed

I was driving my 2008 Swift petrol car which has done 72000KM this evening. When shifting gears, I could feel car dropping speed; I mean, if you change to 3rd gear at 90km/hr speed, the kind of reaction a car will give, it was giving at every gear change. Moments later engine started ceasing every time clutch was pressed. Car is able to idle fine, but when clutch is pressed, the engine stalls.

My car has a custom fit header and FFE. Off late, from the right side of the rear wheel, there is a noise every time, I run over a speed bump or a pothole. A noise as though some thing had become lose. Could something holding the exhaust have come out? I don't see it hanging though. Can a faulty FFE cause this engine behavior?

I am confused on whether to take the car to the people who fitted the header and FFE, or should I take it to a authorized MSS. Please advice.
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine stalls when clutch pressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in View Post
I was driving my 2008 Swift petrol car which has done 72000KM this evening. When shifting gears, I could feel car dropping speed; I mean, if you change to 3rd gear at 90km/hr speed, the kind of reaction a car will give, it was giving at every gear change. Moments later engine started ceasing every time clutch was pressed. Car is able to idle fine, but when clutch is pressed, the engine stalls.
Are you still on original clutch? Could be clutch issue.
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

The stall when you press the clutch is because of a faulty clutch sensor which is present right behind the clutch pedal. Ask your MASS to check that.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Are you still on original clutch? Could be clutch issue.
I second that.
I too had similar problems with the clutch @ 75k on Odo which had become really hard and wasn't engaging properly. If that's the case, it might be the faulty clutch that seeks your attention.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The stall when you press the clutch is because of a faulty clutch sensor which is present right behind the clutch pedal. Ask your MASS to check that.
Hello Humyum,

Does Swift Petrol have a clutch sensor? In case yes, what is the function? I thought the diesel one had the sensor?

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 10:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Please also check the alternator. RPM changes on pressing clutch can also be a result of alternator issues (can be easily found out by checking at a battery shop).
Old 24th November 2014, 10:46   #26
BHPian

In addition to all the suggestions given here, check for any vacuum leaks in the intake side.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 11:15   #27
BHPian

Today morning, the car was just alright. Drove it to the ABT Maruti ASS without any issues. The service personnel told that only swift diesel has clutch sensor and rules out vacuum leak/alternator. The clutch assembly was replaced at 60k KM. He drove the vehicle for some distance and told that the vehicle seems to be fine. But still they are now checking for any error codes. I will update when the car is out of service station.
Old 24th November 2014, 15:03   #28
BHPian

Re: Engine Stalling Problem

In the MASS, they checked for any error codes and returned saying that there were no problem. So unless the problem is repeatable, I don't think much investigation at this point of time. I am just hoping that such a behavior does not turn up in the highways. Thanks to everyone for the their suggestions.
Old 24th November 2014, 18:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hello Humyum,

Does Swift Petrol have a clutch sensor? In case yes, what is the function? I thought the diesel one had the sensor?

Amit
Oh forgive me, I thought his was a diesel until I re read the post again. No, the petrol swift does not have a clutch sensor.
Old 18th January 2015, 23:24   #30
BHPian

Strange issue of my Fiesta Tdci: Engine stalls after de clutch

Hi Friends,

I have a ford fiesta tdci 2010 model , had been to cousin's engagement when I noticed this strange behavior of the car. I stay in bangalore and was heading to mysore, after mandya if you are heading towards mysore you can find a road hump every couple of kms. Now coming to the issue I faced :

I was in 5th gear doing about 80 kms, spotted the hump so applied breaks, de clutched , shifted to 2nd and I released the clutch and the car jerked. I realized the car had stalled , I thought may be I did not engage the clutch properly and it stalled. Did not want that to happen again so next time the hump came I slowed down to about 35 -40 in 5th gear with out de clutching then put it to neutral and went over the hump then engaged 1st/2nd gear and continued. While returning I thought may be I was not de clutching properly so on a few humps ( between mysore and mandya return journey) I pressed the pedal hard to make sure the pedal goes all the way down. On few humps it worked and then again from around 80 I de clutched and shifted to neutral and again it stalled . This never happens during city driving and seems to happen when I try to slow down from 80-100 to go over a hump or stop at a signal etc. It is strange and dangerous too as the power steering does not work and the brakes become hard when the engine is shut off. I missed rear ending one Etios which was going over a hump because the steering became hard after the car stalled.

P.S: Mods: Please move the thread to relevant section if I have posted in the wrong section.

About 7 months back oil was leaking from underneath, took it to metro ford, they checked and replaced the clutch slave cylinder. Have not faced any issue with the clutch since then but not sure if this issue am facing now is connected to the slave cylinder etc.

Now please help me understand what could be the issue :
Could this be an issue with the clutch or could this be because am not de clutching properly ? Has any ford owners faced this earlier ? How to get it fixed ? I do not know how to reproduce this problem if I take it to the service station . Please help !

Last edited by prguru : 18th January 2015 at 23:26. Reason: p.s addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks