Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How many years after purchase did you change your new car's battery?
Within 1 year 1 0.50%
Between 1 & 2 years 10 5.03%
Between 2 & 3 years 38 19.10%
It lasted 3+ years 152 76.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 11:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Environmental concern: Should the govt mandate 3 year battery replacement warranty for new cars?

Honda City 2015 , still on original Amron battery it came equipped with.
I don't have any accessories installed and average running in last 2 years is around 5000km/year.
Old 9th November 2020, 11:38   #17
OSH
BHPian

Re: Environmental concern: Should the govt mandate 3 year battery replacement warranty for new cars?

I believe that the brand of battery that comes fitted from factory also plays an important role on how long it will last. I was fortunate enough to get Amarons as the stock battery in two of my cars and they were replaced at the ~4 years mark not because they went bad but as a measure of preventive maintenance.

Ps. Not everytime does a higher costing battery model have better internals than cheaper ones, the cost may be higher just because the company is providing you a longer pro-rata replacement warranty.
Old 9th November 2020, 14:14   #18
BHPian

The OEM battery on my family's ford figo 1.4 lasted for 70 months and around 54,000 Kms. It didn't die, but was replaced as a precaution. Depends on the usage too. Never ran the electrical systems on battery alone. Unfortunately never checked the brand of the battery.
Old 9th November 2020, 14:34   #19
BHPian

My previous car (Alto K10 2011) went through 3 battery replacements before I sold it in 2018. That was mainly because of low usage. SF Sonic was there when I bought the car. It died just after 2.5 yrs or so. Due to some urgency I had to buy AMCO from a near by battery shop and again in another 1.5 yrs or so I had to change it to Amaron which I guess was a good decision because it was working fine untill I sold the car.

Currently my Nexon which has an Exide inside, is showing some weakness in 1.5yrs thanks to the lockdown. Although I have crossed 10000 Kms, I feel that due to the usage of the dashcams, GPS and Alarm which is always connected to the car, the performance has reduced a bit. I am not willing to disconnect them because of paranoia.

Once I had a flat battery during lockdown and I had to manually charge it outside the car. Now what I have seen is that even after a 300kms drive it's not retaining charge for few days. It's depleting soon and already in 11.9 v mark in 3 days standby after driving for around 300kms.

After a long drive it's showing 12.6 v in standby but the next day it's 12.3 v or so and within 3 or 4 days it's 11.9v or 11.8 v and during starting it's coming down to around 10.8 v or so. I guess I may have to change the battery soon.

I am sure that it's not a problem of battery but my low usage and connected devices are creating this issue.
Old 9th November 2020, 15:05   #20
BHPian

Most of the OE batteries in my diesel cars lasted pretty long. Currently my May 2016 Figo is running on OE batteries. During the last visit to Ford, they intimated to me that the battery is in its last leg. I am happy with the Ford's OE battery (I guess it is by Bosch). My Innova's battery also lasted for 4 plus years.

Also, batteries in their last leg perform flawlessly if you use the car daily. But they will just die if you keep the car idel for a few days. Battery sales soared post the lockdown.

Last edited by Silver Knight : 9th November 2020 at 15:07. Reason: Additional points.
Silver Knight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:52   #21
BHPian

Chevrolet beat Petrol Jan 2011.

The oem Exide battery lasted 4.5 years, Changed 2nd at April 2015 (which lasted for 5 years) and 3rd battery during June 2020.

Nissan Kicks Diesel Feb 2019 ( 1st year 100%, 2nd year 50% Exide Standard OE warranty)

Issue pops up 2 week after 1year! My bad luck

March 10th 2020, odo at 22k faced first dead battery issue, called my dealer and he re directed to exide. The Exide bat mobile guy inspected and said gravity is okey but not so weak, suggested charging for 48 hours and proceed. Also said, if the same problem repeats then we can go for claim. All this was done at my home, with assistance and update from Nissan Dealer.

June 2020 odo at 23k the OE battery went dead for second time. Called the dealer, the advisor told to jump start and leave the car at showroom for further check up.

Service advisor informed exide bat mobile has asked to charge for 24 hours for next test to check the charge holding capacity.

Next day he called to inform me that the test has failed, and battery will be required to replaced. Also told Nissan will bare 50% for 2nd year warranty and he has requested via email to Nissan for approval. In the evening he called me that battery claim has been approved, and replacement from exide is on the way and I can come to collect my car in the Evening. Luckily Exide's office is close by Nissan Showroom in my city.

I paid some Rs3800/- 50% of new battery costs and took back the vehicle.

I am sure, the quality of OE battery is not the same as the ones sold in the market by the brands.
Old 9th November 2020, 16:20   #22
BHPian

Here is the data for my cars :

1) Santro Xing 2004 model :The OEM battery lasted for 4 years and died out in DELHI traffic when driven by my wife .The replacement was there till I sold it out .

2)Maruti Dzire VXI Dec 2010 model battery was replaced by me in Dec 2014 as I had to attend a marriage functions lasting full one week in Dec 2014.
The replacement was an Amaron battery which lasted for nearly 5 years as I sold the car in Oct 2019.Battery was working fine but fear of getting stuck led me to replace it .

3) Toyota Liva Diesel Nov 2012 model had an Exide battery which was replaced in Aug 2018 but which I thoroughly believe could have lasted more.It is now equipped with Amaron battery.Replaced as it was being used for 80 kms daily run .

One of my neighbours has a Fiat Linea diesel car 2009 model .He replaced his original battery in 2019 after 10 years of service .Battery is perhaps one of the most important fitment in a vehicle which can make or mar our journey .Most of the times in last 15 years ,the battery has been replaced by me due to fear of getting stuck .
There are other uses of batteries like inverter batteries. I had to replace the batteries of my inverter after 8 years of service .The earlier battery had also lasted around 5 years .

Yes ,it is correct to expect that the vehicle manufacturers should offer the warranty / service and support for the batteries and tyres for atleast equal to their vehicle warranty if not more .The customer had bought a full package which is the car and not separate parts to assemble a car.Hence every part should have same warranty except for consummables .The tyre & battery warranty could be made pro rata .That way only the quality of the batteries and tyres could be ensured .

Last edited by whitecloud : 9th November 2020 at 16:26. Reason: Paragraphs
Old 9th November 2020, 17:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
3 year replacement warranty as standard will have massive environmental benefits for the nation.
Whether a battery has a 3-year warranty or not, lead-acid batteries can and will fail at irregular intervals, depending on usage. Such failure is not environmentally catastrophic for these batteries as much as they are for Li-ion / Li-Po and similar batteries. The lead can be recovered, the acid can be recycled, and the casing plastic can be reused or recycled. So there are far more important environmentally harmful products (including our phones and laptops) which need to be disposed of carefully, than the ubiquitous lead acid battery, whose recycling system has been perfected on an industrial scale already over the years.
Quote:
Society as a whole will be better off if car OEMs offer the same battery warranty as battery OEMs.
Given that your vehicle manufacturer does not want to replace the battery free of cost, have you approached the battery manufacturer directly?

Quote:
...batteries are being replaced earlier because of this dichotomy which is results in needless environmental...
Needing to buy a new car battery too soon might hurt our pockets, but not the environment as much as our voluntary upgrade of mobiles and laptops to keep up with the Joneses.

Quote:
God only knows how safely battery fluid is handled when our old batteries are sold.
The rather handsome value you get for your spent battery is exactly because almost everything can be recycled and profits can be made. Let us not blame God about how the sulphuric acid is recycled. No, they don't pour it down the drain or into the rivers & oceans.

Quote:
I am cognizant that the battery is VERY prone to operator error and can be drained / ruined by careless users. I do think such a policy is a minor increase in sticker price but far better for the environment as a country.
All my OE batteries have lasted 5 years and more. For the fault of the careless user whose battery is ruined in 15 months, why should I pay more for a warranty that is meaningless?

In fact, the same discussion can be extended to car tyres - why don't car & tyre manufacturers give us 3-year warranties? Tyres are a bigger burden on the environment, compared to lead acid batteries, and more folks have lost tyres to potholes and kerbs than have lost batteries to running the AC blower and ICE with the engine switched off.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 19:35   #24
BHPian

All my batteries have lasted more than 3 years. Infact the OEMs that came in with all my new cars have been more reliable than the ones they were replaced with. And no I did not cut corners with replacement batteries either. Exide battery that came in with my Alto 2011 was replaced by Amron in 2018 which was quite a feat. Though one thing to mention is that I have been quite utilitarian in terms of accessories on all my cars and specially keep away from the ones requiring wiring etc.

On the flip side all my OE batteries on 3 different cars just gave up one fine day leaving us stranded. From then on I realized that if your battery is 4-5 years old and one fine day there is a hiccup during cranking then most probably its end is near.
Old 10th November 2020, 01:03   #25
BHPian

Swift diesel 2015, OEM lasted less that 3 years, this is when driven nearly everyday.
MS 800 2003, OEM lasted somewhere around 6 years, not driven on a daily basis.

I am of the belief that the OEM battery these days would last < 3 years. Replacement goes on for a long time though.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 11:13   #26
BHPian

I must say, the timing of this thread is amazing. Yesterday i was reading this thread and today my car's battery failed while parking outside my office. My car had a Exide mileage battery that was manufactured in December 2016, the car itself is from 2011.

Of late my car had been having a 1-2 second pause before starting when I turned the ignition key, I guess I should have had it checked then. Still, since it did about 4 months I guess I can't really complain. It's time to go battery hunting now.

I have one request for the moderators please, I am unable to vote on any of the polls, could you ease look into it? Thank you.
pareekvirendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 22:08   #27
BHPian

Voted for 1 - 2 years.
Our CRV was leased in Oct of 2018. This August, the OE battery started giving trouble, and the car wouldn't start. An engineer from AAA promptly came and jump-started the car.
I took the car to the Honda service center and explained that I got it jump-started last week. They promptly replaced the battery - no questions asked.
Later, I found out on the net that modern cars lock themselves based on the key's proximity. However, it's advisable to lock the car manually (through the key) while parking the vehicle for extended periods as it somehow 'lets the car know' that nothing should be on standby.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks