Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2021, 23:44   #91
BHPian

Re: Signs that battery needs a replacement

Cross posting another battery related thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
My 2017 Aspire Titanium TDCi (Diesel) is at Ford ASC for some suspension rattle (noise) related issue.

While they work on that problem, Service Advisor has come back with an update about my battery. As per their checks, it's in its last leg & to avoid being stranded, I should consider replacing ASAP.

It's around 3.5 (30k kms) years old & till date I haven't seen any sign of battery related issue.

I wonder what's going on. It seems like batteries now days come with some Apple like chip So many members here have posted about this 4 year time frame for battery needing replacement. Regardless of their different usage patterns

P.S. My stock battery is from "Ford". Completely white outer casing with a single Ford Logo !!

PPS. Does anyone know what's the amp/ah specifications for Ford Figo Aspire Diesel battery? I checked the manual, I there is nothing mentioned apart from 12v. Service Center guys are speaking about 390 CCA (unconventional battery measurement unit). Quick Google search about CCA to amp/ah is pointing to 54ah where as battery suggestion website (like battery wale or battery bhai is suggesting 44/45ah batteries)
Now that was back in September 2020 and fast forward to present, that’s January 2021, my Aspire is due for its scheduled yearly service tomorrow.

I borrowed a multi meter from someone and checked. Following are the results,

Car is seating idle for 4/5 days, battery volt is around 12.25/35/45 or such.
Cranking leads to voltage drop to around 9.45/55 or such.

Drove the car for 10/15 mins and checked again,

Now the cranking is leading to drop of voltage value to 10.25/10.35 !!

Question is,

Should I really need to worry and change the battery tomorrow at ASC or take some risk by asking them to do a service of battery (water n specific gravity) and keep it running !!
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 16:03   #92
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Replaced the stock Amaron battery of the Swift Dzire Vxi this morning.
Yesterday morning when I tried cranking up the car, found that the battery had died. I hadn't started the car in a week during the current lockdown/curfew.

Another good experience overall with the Amaron battery, it has lasted 5.5 years since I had bought and installed it back in November 2015.

Called my regular battery shop owner and he mentioned that he will be getting stock next week only and his shop currently remains closed due to lockdown.

Last edited by NPV : 18th May 2021 at 16:04.
Old 18th May 2021, 17:47   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Cross posting another battery related thread,
Car is seating idle for 4/5 days, battery volt is around 12.25/35/45 or such.
Cranking leads to voltage drop to around 9.45/55 or such.

Drove the car for 10/15 mins and checked again,

Now the cranking is leading to drop of voltage value to 10.25/10.35 !!
At 12,25V your battery is only at 50% charge. Acceptable voltage drop is at least 10V. You drove the car for 15 minutes and the voltage drop was 10,35V.

This is normal with surface charge but says nothing about the state of your battery. You need to wait 24 hours after a charge or drive before checking for voltage drop.

You can also turn on your headlights for 5 minutes just after a drive before checking to get the correct figures.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 17:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

How to give your battery a boost charge at home

Take it out of the car, connect it to your home inverter system, and charge it.

Because of the present scenario, many car batteries are running low on charge and most users simply replace the batteries thinking that the battery's service life is over.

It happened in my case too - one fine day the car failed to start. Since it was a 3.5-year-old battery, I suspected that the battery has gone kaput.

Anyhow, I decided to give it a chance. So I took the battery out and connected it with the home inverter system using the jump-start cables, and gave it a boost charge for about 3 hours. My inverter has a high-current mode that charges the battery quicker than usual.

The car had no problems starting up after I connected the charged battery back. Now it has been almost 6 weeks and the battery is still healthy. The car usage was very minimal during this period but still, it has no problems starting up.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 12:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

On my regularly used car, the sign that the battery needed replacement came when the car began to need A pedal input to start when cranking. This was occasional, not each time.

The ASC confirmed that it needs to be replaced after checking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks