Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo: 4 ABS sensor failures in 2 years

I have been owing a Polo for last 1 year and have had two sensors replaced. The Garage guy had recommended that I change all four and had predicted that I will have another failure or two after the first failure. I didnt change all. However had a second failure within two months.

I have found a low cost garage which replaces this for 1800 bucks including the diagnosis of which sensor is faulty (using OBD). Small idea, why dont you buy all 4 sensors for 5000 odd from BODOMO and stock it and have the peace of mind for the future.

However at the end of the day, this is a POLO. This is not a fill it - shut it - forget it car!

But I would prefer a car like Polo to Hyundais, which stop braking suddenly without any prior warning.

Atleast the Polo is predictably unreliable which makes it sort of reliable, if you know what I mean

Last edited by 2000rpm : 23rd November 2020 at 09:59.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:06   #32
BHPian

My 2011 Vento tdi completed 130k kms yesterday, so far I have changed 4 abs sensors and the abs light is currently turned on. I guess the sensor fails every monsoon. So far the car has not given any major issues *Touchwood* .
Atharva4545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post
Now coming to the present scenario, I encountered the first ABS failure shortly after 2 years of owning the car. The car started to act weirdly and I had no idea what happened to the car. It started stalling and the speedometer started going up and down it was all chaos. I had no idea what to do. I pulled aside, turned off the ignition and turned back on. Then the ABS warning light came up.
When ABS sensor failed, how was the braking at that point of time? We hear stories of Kia/Hyundai, when ABS fails, brakes become hard.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
When ABS sensor failed, how was the braking at that point of time? We hear stories of Kia/Hyundai, when ABS fails, brakes become hard.
No, at first there was a grinding noise and the brakes had a brick in the back feeling. After the warning light comes up it is back to normal. Although I feel braking has reduced.
#ABTorquey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:32   #35
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Abs will be disabled. Brake will behave similar to non abs vehicles.
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:48   #36
BHPian

I've changed ABS sensors for my Rapid MPI once every year for the last 3 years. The first one I had to pay for but was at a 70% discount, the rest were all changed FOC as Skoda gives a 2 year warranty after a sensor change. Does that not happen with VW?
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

What I find intriguing is that VW has not found the exact cause as to why this sensor would fail prematurely. Its not like other cars are not subjected to the same harsh conditions which would result in their sensors failing too.

Anyway, I would not suggest the OP to sell his car, a qualified FNG can help find the root cause of this if not VW. Best of luck !
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:21   #38
BHPian

I've owned a Passat since Nov 2012.

Till date, I have replaced 8 ABS Sensors (2 under warranty). For information, all VW original parts carry a 2 year warranty - so if the part has failed within the 2 years, VW will replace it for free.

Right now, the front left sensor has conked out; last changed on 08/08/2018 ! Will try for replacement under warranty.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:22   #39
~~h
BHPian

On our Vento TDI, 3 of them failed at 40K Km mark. Found a FNG to replace them for 2K each.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:29   #40
BHPian

Ask you to consider Honda Jazz Automatic if your thinking to change cars, that would be a reliable pre-owned car if you could ensure the maintenance; and you wouldn't find it to be much of a downgrade from the Polo. As identified Petrol would make sense for your driving pattern.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:09   #41
BHPian

Welcome to the club mate!! My Polo is 6 years old and on 56K Kms, and all the ABS Sensors have been replaced. Heck, even the replaced ones have been replaced. Its a common issue with Polo's and I had experienced the same situations stated by you - the shuddering, speedometer acting weird and all that. But have not faced any problems with braking and the car would run just fine.

Apart from this issue, my ownership has been great and I still enjoy driving the beauty. So my advice, as many other BHPians pointed out - Hold on to your car. My friend owns a Diesel and I often borrow it and it's a hoot to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atharva4545 View Post
My 2011 Vento tdi completed 130k kms yesterday, so far I have changed 4 abs sensors and the abs light is currently turned on. I guess the sensor fails every monsoon. So far the car has not given any major issues *Touchwood* .
Yep, majority of my ABS sensor failures have been in the monsoon. But the last couple of times I got it replaced free of cost as VW provides 1 year warranty on the replaced sensors.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:10   #42

I ve had the ABS Sensor issue with my BMW 3GT (now sold) and had changed them almost 6-7 times in a span of 3 years. I ve had discussions with the service center guys and they were of the opinion that this is a known issue with the car and could be because of the rains. I ve had instances where the ABS sensor failures had lead to the steering becoming super tight.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:10   #43

Seems that the is a regular headache for Polo owners. I have had these actions thrice in my five years of ownership. Since my extended warranty was now over, the last replacement was done outside a VW garage. I found this place at Pimple Saudagar, Pune to be well equipped and customer friendly.

Got all four sensors replaced as there was fault alert in three and mechanical fault alert coming from one. Used local After Market Sensors - Don't think they will be worse off from VW sensors which are sold at 5.5 K for front one and 4.5 K from rear one.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:14   #44
BHPian

Bad ABS sensors is a real problem in VW and Skoda cars. I've had 2 failures on my Skoda Superb under warranty. My Polo GT's ABS sensor failed just before my warranty expired and I couldnt visit the workshop due to travel. Unfortunately the workshop (VW Mody Auto Corp @ Mira-Bhayander) refused a goodwill fix for the sensor just after warranty. My VWs go to this workshop for regular service for 5 yrs now but if they cannot provide this service, I've no reason to show them my loyalty. I'll take my car to some other VW workshop. I'm wary of FNGs.

It's not about the cost of the sensor, it's a known problem that they refuse to fix proactively. Nor do they provide goodwill support.

After I sell my Polo GT, I'm done with VW/Skoda.
pratika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:19   #45

Quote:
When the ABS Sensor fails :

1. Brakes becomes equivalent to non-ABS vehicles.
2. The steering too gate affected - the lack of feedback on speed makes the steering feel lighter - need to be a tad more alert on sharp bends.
Im_Abhisek is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks