Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 14:54   #1
BHPian

Several issues with my Jaguar XF

I bought a Jaguar XF from AMP Motors some time last year. The trouble started immediately with underbody noise which I was advised to live with. Immediately, the Bluetooth started giving trouble.

On 28th March, 2020, the car would not start. It was finally repaired after almost 2 months wherein, I was told that the battery was faulty.

In July, it started to rain in Delhi and the wipers would make a loud screeching sound along with juddering. The wipers were replaced. The problem was not solved. Some clay cleaning was done on the windscreen. The problem was STILL not solved. Now, they decided to do some coating on the windscreen, but once again, failed.

Finally, they changed the windscreen, wipers and wiper arms. God was by their side and the rains stopped in Delhi. They changed the tyres to solve the underbody noise and for the Bluetooth, I was told that I need to wait for an update as my Apple iPhone 11 Pro is the latest model (iPhone 12 was launched 2 months later )

Now, in early November, I tried to start the car and everything started except the car!!! The wipers were moving, windows rolling, dashboard flashing and ORVMs folding and unfolding with a loud spark-like sound. I jumped out of the car as it could have caught fire.

JLR India people made a statement that there are heavy electronics in the car, so all this is normal. I said the car could have caught fire. They said don't worry, it did not. They took a week to repair the car and told me this time the TCU is faulty. God knows.

I have not taken delivery of the car as I am scared for my life. The car has just done about 8,000 km and spent about 4 months in the workshop. Totally undependable.

Last edited by GTO : 1st December 2020 at 07:10. Reason: Language, spacing
gagananand is offline   (66) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2020, 15:21   #2
BHPian

re: Several issues with my Jaguar XF

Explains why jaguar has never hit numbers like BMW/Mercedes etc. Even when their cars look astonishing design wise.

RELIABILITY has always been a massive concern with their products.

Very sorry for your situation. Seems like an utter nightmare.

Last edited by rahul_jo : 30th November 2020 at 15:24.
rahul_jo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 15:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagananand View Post

Now early November I try to start car everything except car starts. Wipers moving, windows rolling, dashboard flashing OVRM,s folding , unfolding with loud sparking sound. I jumped out of the car. The car could have caught fire
Oh my god.
Seriously what the hell. I have never heard of a lemon being this lemon'ey.

Write strong worded mails to all the higher ups if the dealership themselves aren't willing to do anything. This is not how a premium customer is expected to be treated.

Have you done anything of that sort? If you did, how has their response been? I sincerely hope your issues are resolved. TATA is knows to have good ethics.

I'm sorry you have to face a repeat of the situation with your superb. Just read your other thread.

Last edited by viXit : 30th November 2020 at 15:49.
viXit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:19   #4
BHPian

Well have written mails to CEO JLR global Thieerry Bollore, JLR India Rohit Suri and Tata Sons head Mr. N Chandra apart from various other officers at JLR India. Have telephonically interacted with their director customer support >Mr. Gupta and Mr. Munir.
They feel all this is normal as this car has high end electronics. Car did not catch fire and that is good.
Acknowledging my mails to JLR global heads and Tata sons Mr. Gupta from JLR India replied that JLR India is responsible for Indian operations and now on dealer AMP motors will answer my queries and have offered me help to sell the car in the market instead.
Over telephonic calls JLR India people sympathize with me but when it comes to solution they try to take advantage of the fact that India still does not have Lemon laws like the USA

Last edited by gagananand : 30th November 2020 at 16:22. Reason: incomplete reply
gagananand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Jaguar XF from AMP motors same time last year. The trouble started immediately with under body noise which I was advised to live with. immediately bluetooth started giving trouble..
A lot of my relatives purchased jaguars last year due to the heavy discounting as compared to the germans. One of my relatives purchased two identical XF’s because they got a stellar deal.

Till date they haven’t been able to enjoy the cars as some error or the other keeps popping up. As other members have mentioned, jag’s designs might be very attractive but the problems that come with it aren’t.

Quote:
and for bluetooth I was told need to wait for an update as my Apple Iphone 11pro is a latest model (iphone 12 launced 2 months late )
That is just an excuse for a faulty bluetooth module on their car. My 6 year BMW 328i connects to my ‘latest’ iPhone 12 pro without any problems whatsoever.

Quote:
have not taken delivery of the car as am scared for my life as the car has just done about 8000 kms and spent about 4 months in workshop. Totally undependable
Don’t take the delivery until everything is solved to your level of satisfaction. Another thing I’d advise is to ask them to give everything in writing like what all has been corrected and if something fails again, how are they going to compensate.

But the best bet in my opinion would be to get rid of this lemon and get something better and more reliable that you can actually enjoy driving.

Last edited by pranavmichael : 30th November 2020 at 17:01.
pranavmichael is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 18:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Please ensure everything done on the car goes on its official service record.

In a country with practically non-existent consumer protection laws, documentation is the only leverage end users have, however meagre.

Plenty of customers fall prey to getting an off-the-books fix that isn't properly documented to protect their car's 'value', only to realize later they have no documented evidence if something needs to be escalated further.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 19:00   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Several issues with my Jaguar XF

Quite depressing to hear of so many issues in the first year of ownership itself. God knows how this car will age. Jaguar's reliability is very patchy and this I have heard from several owners.

Jaguar's long wait periods for parts & repairs are terrible. Hope you got the extended warranty.

Don't want to say it to you since you already got the car, but there really was no reason to pick the XF over the very accomplished competition from Mercedes & BMW.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 19:46   #8
BHPian

have all the records but am scared to use the car now. where it will stop and when it will catch fire

Thanks. would you mind sharing their contact details maybe we can get together to take up the matter with JLR

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st December 2020 at 09:51. Reason: back to back posts
gagananand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 22:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

As a last hand measure try discussing the issues with similar car owners / Online communities for the XF etc. Maybe they might have a solution.

If you are that scared of the car catching fire, I would advise you to sell it. What is the point of living in fear each day ? If it is financial feasible get rid of the car. Your peace of mind is more important.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 12:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
now on dealer AMP motors will answer my queries and have offered me help to sell the car in the market instead.
It might sound rude, but, if I were you, will sell this car and buy something else.

This is a message I got from one of the dealerships many months ago

Quote.
SA- this is available at very heavy discount Its a 2018 model year driven 414 kms
ME- What’s basic and rebate
SA- Rs. 38 Ex Showroom against Rs. 55 Lakhs Ex Showroom
SA- Brand new car delivered to some client but developed some problem of oil leakage we took the car back from the client
Attached Thumbnails
Several issues with my Jaguar XF-whatsapp-image-20201201-11.47.24-am.jpeg  

Several issues with my Jaguar XF-whatsapp-image-20201201-11.47.24-am3.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st December 2020 at 12:09.
Turbanator is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 13:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad to read about, Jaguar reliability has been really patchy. Infact my friend bought a new F Pace against my advice and when i told him to buy max warranty, he told me that JLR does not offer extended warranty beyond 3 years. If this is true, that raises serious red flags about the brand.

The only way out now is to deal with Jaguar India and if that does not work out, sell the car off and get a 1-2 year old E class or 5 series, even the pre owned bimmer or merc would be way reliable to this car.

Decisions can go wrong some times, its best to cut your losses and move on, not worth losing you patience and peaceful sleep over it.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:49   #12
BHPian

This is truly truly appalling! I assume you must have done some ground research on Jaguar before purchasing? Did reliability concerns not come up?
From the kind of problems you are mentioning, why don't you approach the Consumer court? I think your case would be fit for damages apart from reimbursement for full car value. If nothing it surely will add legal pressure on the company to act.
I bought a Creta last month and while it costs a fraction of a Jag, my expectation from the car is nothing short of perfection. So i can imagine your situation after paying up big bucks for a luxury car to only bring mental anguish
jmshaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:49   #13
BHPian

Damn, that is just sad to hear. I've always lusted over the xf and its design but stories like these deter me from the brand. When I last enquired, jaguar was giving 4 year warranty with their cars and a 50 percent discount on service.

OT- Your luck with premium sedans hasn't been the best I guess, I still remember your superb thread which also faced electrical issues and got replaced. Best of luck mate.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:12   #14
BHPian

Extremely horrifying experience there, I feel bad for you. It seems like a case of luck which is not acceptable after spending so much, a vehicle with manufacturing defect or both. I too happen to own the same car in it's Portfolio variant and was from the first lot, the CBU and knock on the wood it has given me a better ownership experience and peace of mind than my 4 other Germans with zero issues whatsoever, so good that I even exchanged my X1 with the Discovery Sport and even that's being very immaculate since last 2.5 years.

On that note, they had several OUV's or as they call it Own used vehicle which had manufacturing defects or QC issues which after being rectified was sold for 15-20L discount with an under 1000 on the ODO. I know a few people who got those cars and are having little issues here and there. Just check with your dealer its not one of them and even it is it doesn't mean you should live with these issues, in all case JLR should take some serious actions.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:26   #15
sgm
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your plight.

Please keep all the details of each and every visit documented, insist on providing the job cards.
Get a free extended warranty for this trouble making car.
Get a replacement car.
Get the current issues fixed, get in writing about the car being troublesome and their obligation to support at dealer/brand level.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks