Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 14:48   #1
SCH
BHPian

Vrooooooooooom noise in new Honda City

I have a NHC March 2004 model, clocked 34000 km. Of late there is a vrooom sound coming from beneath when the speed touches 70 km . It is very prominante at 70-80 km. Can it be a that the silencer has developed some leakage. The sound is not very prominant at lower speeds. Pls. advice what could be the reason.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH
Can it be a that the silencer has developed some leakage.
Very much possible. Even a small hole (due to rust or underbody scrape on speedbreaker etc) in the silencer could result in the exhaust note becoming louder.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

to add to.. hope its not wheel bearings and also how is your tire condition? worn out/hard tyres can give a boom
Old 10th April 2007, 17:47   #4
BHPian

It definitely is a leakage in the exhaust system..
Old 10th April 2007, 17:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

you can check by closing the exhaust pipe end with a cloth wound around your hand (WHEN ENGINE IS COLD), will help identify the actual location with hissin sound, and if its not leaking car will cough and engine shunts / switch off..

also look for any scraping or similar marks on the mufler and attand to it either by

a) dealer, they will insist on replacement
b) local garage, might be able to salvage by some welding
c) good time to kit the car with free flow exhaust, ie if you are actually enjoying the sound
Old 10th April 2007, 18:35   #6
BHPian

Tyre roll noise!!

This reminds me the same issue I had with my NHC!! Identify whether the sound coming only when the car is running... and as you said.... esp at above 60-70km/hr...!! If yes, 90% it would be tyre roll noise!!! Is it shod with Goodyear or Bridgestone??!! If yes...am sure it is tyre roll noise.
Get it checked!!
Old 10th April 2007, 18:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
b) local garage, might be able to salvage by some welding
Very true. And would save quite some $$$ too. Actually it is just a DIY job (atleast it was on our M800 - no idea about NHC). With the Kerala rains etc, the muffler assembly would develop leaks and all it needed was to get under the car, unbolt the assembly and take it to the nearest welder to get it welded and then fit it back.

I actually loved the sound. It was only due to my Dad's scolding that I would get it done.
Old 11th April 2007, 19:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

A little OT, but since it is related to exhaust systems, did not want to open a new thread for a simple query.

I would like to paint the exhaust pipe tip and the vertical portion of the muffler that is visible from behind in black. Reason for doing this is just to get a uniform black look at the rear - currently this part is unpainted steel.

Is there any problems due to this ? Asking because I do not remember seeing any such paint jobs ?
Old 11th April 2007, 19:50   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

The sound coming from the rear could be from the wheel bearing or the hub assembly and not certainly from the exhaust .. Its really easy to identify a leaking exhaust from a sound from the hub assembly .. Get it checked in any case ..
Old 11th April 2007, 19:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
A little OT, but since it is related to exhaust systems, did not want to open a new thread for a simple query.

I would like to paint the exhaust pipe tip and the vertical portion of the muffler that is visible from behind in black. Reason for doing this is just to get a uniform black look at the rear - currently this part is unpainted steel.

Is there any problems due to this ? Asking because I do not remember seeing any such paint jobs ?
get a good quality heat resistant paint and do it no harm. regular paint will burn/peal off with the heat of the exhaust.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:34   #11
SCH
BHPian

I got the NHC checked, the dealer says that one rear bearing has gone faulty.
The cost is approx. Rs. 6500 in authorised service center. It is coasting Rs. 3500 from a workshop with the bearing available at kashmere Gate market Delhi. smuggled japanese bearing.

What do you suggest ??
Old 12th April 2007, 13:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

get it done from the service center if you have have past experience or references for obviosu reasons.

manson.
Old 12th April 2007, 15:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
I got the NHC checked, the dealer says that one rear bearing has gone faulty.
The cost is approx. Rs. 6500 in authorised service center. It is coasting Rs. 3500 from a workshop with the bearing available at kashmere Gate market Delhi. smuggled japanese bearing.

What do you suggest ??
getting that noise only at particular speed range was an indication of wheel bearing probelm.
surprinslgy i have also faced this problem in when the odo was reading 32-35K. mine too is NHC CVT 2004 model. does that mean the NHC wheel bearings last just 30-35K ?

my car was then under warranty and got it replaced for free
Old 13th April 2007, 11:50   #14
SCH
BHPian

Yes Zakaaaaassss. it seems NHC bearing lasts till 32-35k, as at the authorised service center the attendant immediately started asking about the warranty time of the car as it apparently seemed that they have faced this problem before. Also at the workshop the person told me that they have replaced the same in approx 10 cars till now. HONDA has really got it wrong here.... Unfortunatley my NHC is now 3 yrs old, hence out of warranty.
Old 17th April 2007, 12:25   #15
SCH
BHPian

I have got the bearing changed in the right back wheel and the noise has gone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks