Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2007, 12:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
ABS works on disk brakes. Lower end cars, such as Swift has disk brake only on front wheels, and drum brakes on rear wheels. I have my doubts whether drum brakes respond to ABS. I will not be surprised if the claims of ABS on a car like Swift may not be entirely correct.
Can you clarify how a ABS would work on two wheels only? Are you saying that two wheels wouldn't lock up but the other two would? Come on......
Old 13th April 2007, 12:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ABS works on disk brakes. Lower end cars, such as Swift has disk brake only on front wheels, and drum brakes on rear wheels. I have my doubts whether drum brakes respond to ABS. I will not be surprised if the claims of ABS on a car like Swift may not be entirely correct.
Dude ABS works on all the wheels. If we go by your concept of 2 front wheels having ABS then the rear 2 wheel will get locked and the car will steer left or right. Correct me if i am wrong.

From WikiPedia:
Quote:
The American firm Kelsey Hayes (now part of TRW Automotive), developed the first electronic ABS system in the late sixties and introduced on the 1970 Lincoln Town Car. It was a rear wheel system, as was General Motors' Cadillac version of anti-lock brakes called Track Master, which was introduced in 1970 on the Eldorado coupe and made an option for the entire line in the following year.

The first true electronic 4-wheel multi-channel ABS was co-developed by Chrysler and Bendix for the 1971 Imperial. Called "Sure Brake", it was available for several years and had a satisfactory performance and reliability record.

And AFAIK there are 3 types of ABS. Four Channel, Three Channel and One channel. In 3 channel rear wheel tend to lock up and but in four channel the rear wheels wont lock up coz of 4 sensors on all the the wheels.

And if swift is using 3 channel one then it's not the safest hatch anymore and they are fooling public with giving them old technology which was developed in 1970.

P.S. I will try to find out where i read about these multi channel ABS systems and post it here by today. I was a nice read

Last edited by abhibh : 13th April 2007 at 12:26.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

The below Article will help understanding how ABS works and types of ABS systems.

Howstuffworks "How Anti-Lock Brakes Work"

Read it like an year ago.
Old 14th April 2007, 22:04   #19
BHPian

From what i have seen, ABS does not react as fast always, and tires momentarily lock up before being released again. So on hard braking even with ABS, there could be some squeeling sound.
Old 15th April 2007, 04:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
ABS works by regulating the pressure in the hydraulic lines, so it doest matter whether it is a drum brake or a disk brake.

Now regarding swift whether it is 4 channel abs or 2 channel abs
If you open the bonnet of swift you can see the ABS hydraulic unit at the right side of car(driver side) just above the brake booster, look at the unit and you can see 4 pipes on the top of the unit going to all 4 wheels(just trace the pipes till the wheels), which means its a 4 channel ABS.

Another way to confirm is just jackup the car (any one of the wheel) , start the engine and then rotate the jacked up wheel by hand(rotate fast), you can see the ABS warning light coming on. This is because the ABS control unit thinks that your speed senor has gone wrong as its getting speed input from only one wheel. Note:- Your ABS warning light will still remain on even if you switch off the engine and start it again, to reset the light just drive the car normally. (Light goes off when the ABS unit starts getting the speed sensor input equally from all the wheels).

Do this experiment on all the four wheels of a 4 channel ABS car the result should be the same as it is sensing the speed from all the 4 wheels.
Old 24th April 2007, 17:07   #21
BHPian

Good informations guys!

aaaah... thatz a whole lot of good informations about ABS!!

I too have experienced something strange with ABS of my Swift ZXi! When applying brake in emergency situations, the rear wheel do get locked at the last point of stops! This is when all the four wheels are in well paved bitumen roads. Now when the car is on gravel roads, I too get the "pulsing" feeling on the pedal and here also the rear wheels gets locked during last point of stops. But at both conditions, the car stops in a straight line irrespective of wet/dry road conditions!
However, during normal drivings and stopages, it works well and infact it had saved me from ramming into idiotic rickshawallas and cyclists manytimes during city driving!
Guys, is there anything wrong with the system in my car?! Or is it normal?!
Also, should the ABS device be covered during water service?!
Thanks in advance!
Old 18th May 2007, 15:19   #22
BHPian

That is rectified!!

Erratic function of ABS during emergency brakings!! (Rear wheels get locked easily)
Technicians of M A S S checked this part also and identified that the rear wheel cylinders were not functioning properly due to excess dust and grim around the actuaters and mechanisms!! They cleaned the wheel cylinders and components inside the wheel drum and changed the brake fluid after flushing the lines. ALAS!! ABS is functioning properly!! No premature locking of rear wheels now!! I get that pulsating feeling as and how it is requried while emergency brakings!! Feels that brakes are more effective now as it was on the day1!!

drive on guys!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks