Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2007, 12:50   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Making stress-relief cuts to help fold the sheetmetal without wrinkles is very standard. But then I would spend some money and manpower on welding, brazing and sanding to get a good finish. Was that done?

At one end Honda wants to charge a premium price. For what? Consumer ignorance?
At the other end they save money leaving surfaces not visible to the customer unfinished. Do Audi, Volkswagen, Skoda do such 3rd class work?

Quality is doing the right thing even when nobody's looking
Well for a mass production car, sanding brazing is not used as these are not the mass production methods, but this doesnt mean that mass production quality has to be poor.

wrinkles are not visible in picture, but certainly trim edge is poorly cut, which is a very basic thing forget about luxury or a basic car, trim edge cannot be left sharp & zig zag.

As i mentioned earlier, it is a flaw on part of honda supplier & the reciept QC guy accepting it. it not only looks odd, but can actually injure an assembly worker in factory.

Regarding class B, it is never left sharp or wrinkled, but certainly do not have curvature continuty as skin panels have, internal sheet metal parts are always class -B, but untrained eye cannot tell the difference between quality of class A or B.

This is for sure a quality flaw i agree with you Mr. Ram
Old 13th April 2007, 12:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Is it a prob with this particular Civic or do all Civics come with such unfinished edges?

Atleast i wouldn't want my car to have unfurnished edges like these (not that it's of any great concern to me) but still, it's better to get it all right.

Honda should look into the matter and work on it asap.

PS : All said n done, the Civic has some great potential. Here's a little something to cheer all you Civic owners. Spoon Civic Prototype vs S2000 vs Integra -

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th April 2007 at 13:03.
Old 13th April 2007, 13:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

yeah forget a factory worker getting injured. I clean that part of the car while washing. Anyone can cut their fingers if it's like that. this is bad.

I keep feeling that the quality of the cars over the years is coming down.

Especially with honda and maruthi.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

I just checked a Civic today and there were no uneven curves there. Maybe the curves are on some produced cars
Old 13th April 2007, 14:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

On a related subject, the old Accord (Mk2? - not the face lifted one) has some strange protruding metal below the rear bumper.. kind of gave it an unfinished look.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:22   #21
Team-BHP Support

its normal in most of cars honda or otherwise, jap especially.

remember esteem and zen rear wheel arches, if you are not careful you will have nasty cuts washing the mudguard... lack of detailing rather, newer models have plastic trims that cover these
Old 13th April 2007, 14:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
its normal in most of cars honda or otherwise, jap especially.

remember esteem and zen rear wheel arches, if you are not careful you will have nasty cuts washing the mudguard... lack of detailing rather, newer models have plastic trims that cover these
Plastic trims generally not cover fender edges, coz unsupported plastic at edges tends to sag. german cars get these flanges hemmed(folded inside) like folding of outer door panels.

so result is: it looks nice+no danger of injuring hands.
Old 26th April 2007, 14:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

This kind of unevenness is not normal on all cars. I suggest we observe all the cars when we go home, as I did. This kind of thing is not there on HOnda City or any other cars that I saw (all had smooth rounded edges). Check 800, City, Corolla, Fiesta, etc. But this was seen on all Honda Civic of which I have so far seen around 8-10 with these protrusions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks