Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 00:23   #1
BHPian

Problem with brand-new BMW X3

Hello everyone, I needed some advice and tips on how to go about with this issue in my X3. I'll start with the timeline of events:

October 2019: Purchased my brand new BMW X3 30i from Bird Automotive Gurgaon, it's my second BMW after the X1 in 2017 and first from Bird. Shortly after delivery noticed that the wheel alignment and balancing was a little off, however as the car is required on a daily basis without fail and BMW requires to keep the car for 2 days for that, I chose to get this fixed at the first service.

October 2020: Come the first service at Bird, and I conveyed this issue and was charged 12,500rs excluding labour for the same which I hesitantly gave at that point because I needed to get it rectified. After keeping the car at Bird for 2 days (which was a task and an inconvenience in itself) I got it back. Next day, again noticed that the wheel alignment was off and contacted the service advisor at the time and conveyed the same to him, however the need of the car being so important I did not have the patience and time to give my car for another 2 days.
Was told that the alignment must've been off because I accelerate and brake a lot. Had to remind the service advisor that I drive a BMW X1 as well and not once have I had the need to get the balancing done in almost 4 years. With its runflats being much low profile than the X3.

December 2020: Noticed that the headlamps, when on auto mode, were fluctuating on its own, during unlock welcome headlamps and driving. Spoke to the service advisor and once again was told that the sensor might have an issue and they'll have to keep the car at bird for 2 days and also that I might have to pay for alignment again.

Now, this is where the main problem comes, I cannot leave the car for a day or two as required by BMW. My questions are:

- Am I applicable for a courtesy car?

- Will I have pay again to get the balancing done?

Will be visiting Bird this week, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Aman

Last edited by aman-bh : 5th January 2021 at 00:31.
aman-bh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 00:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Problem with brand-new BMW X3

I ain't sure why they are insisting on keeping your car in for 2 days each time. I have been visiting them since 2013 for my 320D and have never been asked to leave the car overnight even in cases of faults other than regular service.

Why don't you try getting the alignment and balancing checked at an FNG? Also what was done by the dealership for that 12k amount charged to you?
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 00:45   #3
BHPian

After paying millions, it looks like the service center folks are a bit too casual in dealing with issues related to your X3.

I am not sure of the exact setup in India (I live abroad) when it comes to replacement cars from luxury brands. However for such a new car which costs millions, that too having issues even after an attempted repair - my heart says below must be obvious.

1. Acknowledgement of the issue, willingness to work and find out the details and more mature response than casually saying breaking or acceleration causes alignment issues.
2. Replacement car until the issue is fixed.
3. Cost has been paid once, so no more payment for fixing the issue 'again'
4. Clear explanation of the root cause and what has been done to fix it.
5. If applicable, details on what needs to be done to prevent the issues from popping up again in future.

If possible, it could be worth looking for another service center to take a second opinion.

Side note: A couple of years ago, I was given an old Maruti 800 to drive for a few days by Indus motors (Kerala) when my Wagon R was at service. I would not have complained if they hadn't given me a car, but I guess there is something to know and do when it comes to customer care.
dileepcm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 01:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
After paying millions, it looks like the service center folks are a bit too casual in dealing with issues related to your X3.

I am not sure of the exact setup in India (I live abroad) when it comes to replacement cars from luxury brands. However for such a new car which costs millions, that too having issues even after an attempted repair - my heart says below must be obvious.

1. Acknowledgement of the issue, willingness to work and find out the details and more mature response than casually saying breaking or acceleration causes alignment issues.
2. Replacement car until the issue is fixed.
3. Cost has been paid once, so no more payment for fixing the issue 'again'
4. Clear explanation of the root cause and what has been done to fix it.
5. If applicable, details on what needs to be done to prevent the issues from popping up again in future.

If possible, it could be worth looking for another service center to take a second opinion.

Side note: A couple of years ago, I was given an old Maruti 800 to drive for a few days by Indus motors (Kerala) when my Wagon R was at service. I would not have complained if they hadn't given me a car, but I guess there is something to know and do when it comes to customer care.

I agree wholeheartedly, I have had similar positive experience at Lexus dealership for my own ES350 when it was brand new. Car was in their shop for over 2 weeks because it had excessive wind noise from driverside window, while car was with them I was provided with a courtesy vehicle and never was given a run around on the issue. Eventually they replaced the entire door panel and issue got fixed. All was done under warranty and I was not charged a single cent.

Incidentally the same owners have BMW dealership as well and I would believe they would treat BMW customers the same way as they treated me.

For OPs issue, he deserves the acknowledgement of the issue, plan to fix it under warranty as the original problem was never rectified and provide a loaner vehicle while the car is with them.

Besides that, why was OP charged 12K for first service, shouldn't it be included. In US, all services are included for first 4 years for no cost to the owners. BMW promises it and advertises it as such and I would imagine it should be same in India as well for exact same models.
lexusES350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 01:07   #5
BHPian

My 2 cents - If I were you, I wouldn't swipe my card even for a rupee at Bird Gurgaon after these experiences (I've had a fare share too), you anyway don't have to pay for the headlight issue. There's warranty for that.
As far as the alignment & balancing are concerned, I think you were "overcharged" - 12.5k (that too excluding labour) is absolute bonkers. I happen to have a BMW 520d (F10) and just pulling out my service bills, I can see the charges for alignment + balancing hovering in the 6k range (excluding labour). Start by taking this up and then mentioning how the alignment was off on a new car, even after spending close to 13k which nobody should have to on a car close to an year old. IMHO, there's a very high chance they'll fix it (or atleast try to) without a charge. If they don't, I'd recommend you visit a good tyre shop (quite rare) with a knowledgeable guy (again very rare) working on the car.

Also, on a side note, I've tried BMW Bird (Gurgaon), Deutsche (Motingar) and BMW Infinity (Mayapuri) for any issues that I've had over the past 6 years and I've found Infinity to be the best. They have the fastest turnaround times among the three, let you in to the working area and try to make sure they don't have to keep the car overnight for any issues that they could potentially fix while the owner waits. Can connect you to my service advisor if you'd like.

Last edited by advaydh : 5th January 2021 at 01:09.
advaydh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 02:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
<snip>Shortly after delivery noticed that the wheel alignment and balancing was a little off, however as the car is required on a daily basis without fail and BMW requires to keep the car for 2 days for that, I chose to get this fixed at the first service. <snip>
How long after taking delivery did you notice this issue? Do you have a record of you telling the dealer that the alignment and balancing were off? If you do, you should beat them over the head with it. Also, check if BMW India corporate can help.
Ford_Prefect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 12:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone, I needed some advice and tips on how to go about with this issue in my X3. I'll start with the timeline of events:

October 2019: Purchased my brand new BMW X3 30i from Bird Automotive Gurgaon, it's my second BMW after the X1 in 2017 and first from Bird. Shortly after delivery noticed that the wheel alignment and balancing was a little off, however as the car is required on a daily basis without fail and BMW requires to keep the car for 2 days for that, I chose to get this fixed at the first service.

October 2020: Come the first service at Bird, and I conveyed this issue and was charged 12,500rs excluding labour for the same which I hesitantly gave at that point because I needed to get it rectified. After keeping the car at Bird for 2 days (which was a task and an inconvenience in itself) I got it back. Next day, again noticed that the wheel alignment was off and contacted the service advisor at the time and conveyed the same to him, however the need of the car being so important I did not have the patience and time to give my car for another 2 days.
Was told that the alignment must've been off because I accelerate and brake a lot. Had to remind the service advisor that I drive a BMW X1 as well and not once have I had the need to get the balancing done in almost 4 years. With its runflats being much low profile than the X3.

December 2020: Noticed that the headlamps, when on auto mode, were fluctuating on its own, during unlock welcome headlamps and driving. Spoke to the service advisor and once again was told that the sensor might have an issue and they'll have to keep the car at bird for 2 days and also that I might have to pay for alignment again.
Procrastination of issues is leading you to having to pay for alignment.

When you bought the X3 in Oct 2019 and found alignment out; should have got it rectified same week of delivery. Or at least asked your Sales Advisor to give in writing over email that it be fixed Free Of Cost during next visit whenever it be.

You visited workshop after a year and because of which no one will accept it be out.

Now in Oct 2020 when you paid for alignment and still not happy with result; you should visit very next day to have it fixed or get it in writing to have the issue rectified on next visit. Alignment job is same day job 4 hrs maximum. I got it done once on my X1 from BMW Workshop and charged same as you.

If you delay further, they will ask for money. Other BMW dealership in your area will charge again since they didn't do the work.

You can ask BMW India to intervene. Write email to them contact.india@bmw.in

Very prompt in replying back even for smallest of things.

As for hard acceleration excuse; its stupid. BMW is meant to be driven hard. I have smoked brakes on my X1, driven on broken roads; alignment is still fine for 19,000 Kms in 2 years.

Coming to headlight sensor issues, it will be covered in warranty. I suggest you purchase Extended Warranty BRI for maximum 6 years for peace of mind.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 12:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Aman
In all probability, they by now know that you can't leave your car there for 2 days and they are milking the excuse to avoid working on your car for free. I would say, work out something & leave the car with them and ask them to rectify the issue. Delaying the repair, might give them other excuses.
Engine_Roars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 20:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Procrastination of issues is leading you to having to pay for alignment.

When you bought the X3 in Oct 2019 and found alignment out; should have got it rectified same week of delivery. Or at least asked your Sales Advisor to give in writing over email that it be fixed Free Of Cost during next visit whenever it be.

You visited workshop after a year and because of which no one will accept it be out.
….

Coming to headlight sensor issues, it will be covered in warranty. I suggest you purchase Extended Warranty BRI for maximum 6 years for peace of mind.
According to Bird, car is supposed to stay with them overnight and a road test is required for clearance, hence they wanted the car for a day or two, which as mentioned in my post is something I absolutely cannot do.

Due to my initial procrastination, I was willing to spend the money for the alignment during the first service.

I have the BSI+ Service package for 3 years and the Extended Warranty for 5 years as well, but for the sensor again was told that will need to keep the car overnight for diagnosis.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th November 2023 at 19:14. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 5th January 2021, 20:15   #10
BHPian

Should I involve BMW India and email them as well on this issue? My uncle who has owned BMW's for years now has suggested the same and also said that there might be an issue in the vehicle itself if the alignment is perpetually off.
Old 5th January 2021, 22:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to Bird, car is supposed to stay with them overnight and a road test is required for clearance, hence they wanted the car for a day or two, which as mentioned in my post is something I absolutely cannot do.
Not needed to keep car overnight for alignment work. It's just an excuse. Even when I give my X1 for service, they ask to keep car overnight but I request them to deliver same day which BMW Workshop oblige. I usually walk in a bit earlier so my car goes in 1st.

I would suggest you following plan of action:
1. Ask Bird Automotive to have Alignment rectified to your satisfaction Free Of Cost FOC. Since you have paid for it once & X3 was purchased from them and even then alignment issue was pointed out.

2. If Bird Automotive denies to do Alignment rectification FOC, involve BMW India and tell them complete series of events. I'm sure that should do.

3. Get sensor issue resolved from Infinity Workshop as other BMW onwer in thread has pointed out; they do a better work. Even I send my car to BMW Infinity Cars, Navi Mumbai.

For Light Sensor issue work, they will need to keep car overnight as diagnosis will take time.

Quote:
Should I involve BMW India and email them as well on this issue? My uncle who has owned BMW's for years now has suggested the same and also said that there might be an issue in the vehicle itself if the alignment is perpetually off.
Your Uncle is right. Could follow above plan of action or directly start with Point Number 2 by involving BMW India.

X3 is a very good car and I hope these issues are resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 6th January 2021, 13:11   #12
BHPian

Re: Problem with brand-new BMW X3

Quote:
My questions are:

Aman
Honestly, hate to say this but you probably did a fair amount of damage to your tyres and suspension by not taking the car in for balancing and alignment as soon as you noticed that it was off.

I don't think they will lend you a courtesy car.

If they claim to have done the alignment and balancing earlier, then there must be some report for it. Even the not-so-well equipped garages generate a report for balancing and the number of and type of weights used for alignment. Try to get that report and use it to highlight the issue further. If they did a good job earlier then how is it that the problem still persists?

Obviously, they will use the fact against you that you took so long to report the issue that was there from day 1.

You can always get the alignment and balancing done from independent garages. 12.5k for the same is ludicrous!
Old 6th January 2021, 13:37   #13
BHPian

First things first. There is no alignment for any BMW which runs on runflat tyres . If anybody is charging you for that or suggesting as it is done , they are fooling you around . There must be another problem in suspension or somewhere else .
Please give your vehicle to another repair shop for diagnosis for the same problem .
Old 6th January 2021, 13:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
First things first. There is no alignment for any BMW which runs on runflat tyres . If anybody is charging you for that or suggesting as it is done , they are fooling you around .
Could you please elaborate on this? Using Run flats does not need Wheel Alignment?
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Could you please elaborate on this? Using Run flats does not need Wheel Alignment?
RFTs have stiff side walls and hence there is no flex in tyres , so they are not compensated for Camber in cars that are using them .
There is no arrangement for camber setting as well as toe as they are considered to be one solid piece .
I have been using BMWs since 2011 , first the 3 series (E 92) and then the 2013 X1 with RFTs only and haven't done any alignment till date as it does not exist for these cars .
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks