Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 06:46   #1
BHPian

Car stops responding to accelerator input

I am facing a strange issue with my 2016 figo TDCI. Today, while coming to work I was about 500m into the drive when the car stopped accelerating. I was at 30 kmph in 3rd and speed wasn't increasing so I downshifted to 2nd and then to first but engine rpm would not increase and the car kept slowing down. I managed to stall the car while trying different gear and clutch combinations but on restarting the car was back to normal!
I faced a similar issue last month where as soon as I took my car out of the driveway the car stopped responding to accelerator input but on pumping the accelerator a few times, the car went back to normal. What could be the issue?
There was no fault seen on the dashboard on both occasions.
bullrun87 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 07:20   #2
BHPian

re: Car stops responding to accelerator input

Check the accelerator pedal potentiometer. Also, try doing a relearn of the throttle pedal in the diagnostic tool. Since the engine is maintaining idle when this happens, I think the throttle valve should be working fine. I'm not sure if the 1.4TDCI has one though. Most probably some component in the drive by wire system is acting up, so focus on related parts.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 09:15   #3
BHPian

2016 means its new Figo, 1.5 TDCi !!

Problem sounds like a possible faulty A padel sensor, why don't you visit a near by Ford ASC for a quick diagnostic?

Don't leave it as it is, losing power while doing a critical overtake may end up causing serious accident

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:40   #4
BANNED

Please check brake light switch, may be its acting up.
Most modern cars are designed to limit the throttle input if brakes are pushed. The way car computer knows about the state of brakes - whether they are activated or not is by brake light sensor which is placed on the brake pedal itself. So if it is acting up then that could also be the reason of your problem.

Thanks.
CaptainBrijesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 16:53   #5
BHPian

This is a throttle body issue. It has happened with the facelift EcoSport 1.5 TDCi as well. Get the throttle body replaced by FASS and please claim warranty if your car is still covered under warranty. It takes about an hour or two to get it fixed
jithin23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:20   #6
BHPian

I too have faced something like this in my Freestyle petrol.

My experience:
After shifting into 1st — either from a standstill or downshifting from second after almost coming to a crawl — the car didn't respond to accelerator inputs. I then pressed clutch again and release slowly and it starts working fine. Another time, I noticed that pumping the throttle also has worked and then things are back to normal.

I had attributed it to me bogging the car down and didn't think much of it but now that you describe it, this struck me as a very familiar experience.

Will try out what jithin23 has mentioned
batladanny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:22   #7
kkg
BHPian

I have the older Figo 1.4Tdci and this issue happened to me three years back. The car would go into a kind of limp/go home mode which would restrict the rpm to 1k. It would vanish only after five-six starts and restarts.

I researched on some online Ford forums and go to know that it was a throttle position sensor issue located near the accelerator pedal. Got it changed from Ford and no issue since. I suggest you to go to Ford and get is rectified at earliest as it can be dangerous for you as well as other s.
kkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 22:36   #8
BHPian

This could also mean a bad VSS sensor (speed sensor) along with issues related to the accel pedal (rare). Im not sure if the TDCI 1.5 has a throttle body though.

Alternatively in a worst case scenario it could be a failing injector. A simple diagnosis for someone with a laptop+scan tool if not the Ford service centre.

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 20th January 2021 at 22:43.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
This is a throttle body issue...
Are you sure you have a Throttle body in a Ford diesel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
..What could be the issue?
Please do run a diagnostics, I'm sure an error will be recorded.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Re: Car stops responding to accelerator input

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Are you sure you have a Throttle body in a Ford diesel?
Yes, there have been instances where it has been replaced in the newer Ford diesels (post 2017). Few owners have also replaced it under warranty and Ford acknowledges is as well

Last edited by jithin23 : 21st January 2021 at 11:23.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ These diesels usually use the EGR as the 'Throttle' , therefore I`m wondering if it is the EGR Valve that you are referring to.

If the accelerator of this vehicle is shared with Mazda, then accelerator is the likely culprit.
Old 21st January 2021, 13:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I faced a similar issue last month where as soon as I took my car out of the driveway the car stopped responding to accelerator input but on pumping the accelerator a few times, the car went back to normal. What could be the issue?
One possible, least worrying thing could be that the engine has not heated up enough and it is not clear from your post. I had similar experiences when I just start and move in cold conditions, and a couple of misfires (not exactly but something close to it) and non response from throttle. I assume you have a short commute to work, not enough to get the engine reach its optimum temperature. Could be due to the cold conditions there, or the car was idle for a few days, you just experience it now. If you never experienced it with a heated up engine, then I think nothing much to worry. Of course, it is a good idea to get a through check in ASS.
Nalin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 15:35   #13

You could have an OBD scan of your car. If you find anything abnormal such as some issue it will help. The best thing will be to continuously monitor the different sensors for a few days as the same issue might be repeated.
zing007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 18:19   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am facing a strange issue with my 2016 figo TDCI. Today, while coming to work I was about 500m into the drive when the car stopped accelerating. I was at 30 kmph in 3rd and speed wasn't increasing so I downshifted to 2nd and then to first but engine rpm would not increase and the car kept slowing down. I managed to stall the car while trying different gear and clutch combinations but on restarting the car was back to normal!
Although you can’t be sure I don't think it is the accelerator potentiometer. Potentiometer are relative simple devices. When they go wonky, they typically don’t work at all, or more often have a particular position in which they don’t work properly.

The position of your pedal and the problem popping up, don’t appear to be related.

So I would think it is some different input into the ECU that causes this problem.
As mentioned earlier the speed sensor can cause this. If you are very unlucky, it is related to the ABS module. On some cars one of the ABS sensors doubles up as speed sensor. If anything do a quick visual inspection on all wheels to see if the wheel sensors are not damaged, or covered in mud.

There are a few other position switches/sensors that might cause the same behaviour too.

I would strongly advise you not to swap or try to repair anything until you had a proper OBD scan done. Anything else is just silly and likely to be very expensive trial and error. Always try to diagnose first: You best make sure it is done with a proper Ford diagnostic kit as you are likely to be looking for very model specific codes. E.g. I believe the speed sensor fault code for your Ford is P1934.

These codes don’t necessarily trigger the CEL as such, although the very often do put the engine in restricted mode.

I had a similar problem on my Jaguar. On some models this is a well known problem and it is caused by a micro switch fitted on the brake pedal that is to disconnect the cruise control when braking. When the switch is faulty it randomly puts the engine in restricted mode.

Took me all but 30 seconds to find by looking for the appropriate code, but I did need a Jaguar specific OBD tool as this is a Jaguar specific code.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 21st January 2021 at 18:22.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 00:49   #15

As your location indicates are from Shimla, it is evident the weather will be very cold. I had faced a similar problem at Ooty in my Accent Crdi some 8 years ago.
It was a cold morning, I just refueled and was coming out of the fuel station.
Throttle went completely unresponsive and I had to move the car just with the default speed of the first gear. The engine was not warm enough to effectively carry out the combustion.

I have seen bus drivers in hill stations burning something underneath the diesel tank, cautiously so that they just warm it but not cause a fire.

The problem automatically got fixed as the day got warmer. Just for my satisfaction, I used bardahl additives after returning from the trip to address any buildup in injector if the fuel was bad.

I believe your issue may get resolved when you allow the engine to warm enough
sai_crdi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks