Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 11:05   #1
BHPian

New intercooler damaged & leaking on a Toyota Corolla Altis. EDIT: Damaged vacuum pipe replaced

Hello Everyone,

I am having a bit of problem that I find hard to believe. I had a new intercooler installed in my car (Toyota Corolla Altis, 2011 D4DG) in January 2020, after the previous one was damaged (due to the car hitting a dog that suddenly darted in front of me). A few days ago I found oil where the intercooler is located (inside the bumper, in front of the front passenger side tyre). I was obviously concerned and sent the car to the ASS who had replaced the intercooler the last time. Today they called and are saying that the intercooler is damaged due to hitting something. It could have been a pebble that hit it from the underside. I don't believe it since there is the engine guard to protect it from there.

I find it hard to believe that anything could have hit the intercooler there without me knowing about it. The car is driven only by me and I know for a fact that I didn't hit anything, which can be evidenced by the bumpers and everything else around the intercooler.

So could anyone here tell me if they have experienced something similar(intercooler breaking off without any other apparent reason)? Is this even possible? And if yes, what could be the course of action now? The intercooler costs Rs. 40000 at the ASS and is a.bit steep for me.

Should I get a new one at the ASS or is it advisable to source a new one from outside? What could be the reason for this damage, because I am sure I didn't hit anything and the car is parked in a covered parking.

MODS: if I have posted in the wrong place, I request you to kindly collapse my post.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
New intercooler damaged & leaking on a Toyota Corolla Altis. EDIT: Damaged vacuum pipe replaced-img20210406wa0009.jpg  

pareekvirendra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 13:38   #2
BHPian

re: New intercooler damaged & leaking on a Toyota Corolla Altis

Did you check the Intercooler after you took delivery of the car from the A.S.S?
Could it be a case of them trying extract cash from you?
Gamerk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 14:54   #3
BHPian

The ASS where I send my car has never cheated me in the past and has been quite upfront with any issue I have faced, always suggesting less expensive turnarounds rather than replacing parts outright.

I did check the car on taking delivery back in January 2020 and there hasn't been any issue till I found the oil marks, so this is quite surprising. Let's see how it unfolds.

Last edited by pareekvirendra : 6th April 2021 at 14:56. Reason: Better wording
pareekvirendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 17:27   #4
BHPian

Looking at this picture it is hard to predict the severity of the damage, with the given picture the inter-cooler's bottom mount are made of plastic compound, your car might have experience some sort of bottom impact may be due to potholes or driven over a large stone.

In this scenario all I can suggest are two viable options,
1. A thorough check of the damage on inter-cooler it can be repaired.
a. If there is a damage on the fin a normal soldering will workout without any fuss and the bottom mount can be repaired by an experienced technician.
b. If the bottom plastic section has broken, sourcing from a second hand market where scrap vehicle spares are sold off.
2. Another way to procure a new part is from importers (usually well known FNG's have sources as they regularly procure parts from such dealers).

Just to bring into your notice, I contacted one of my ex-colleague who works at Toyota dealership, inquired regarding your model inter-cooler price it is around Rs.35K (I may be wrong too as I had no VIN details).

I would like to see a few more pictures if taken so that we can come to a conclusion about what possible outcomes we can bring into your concern.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 18:26   #5
BHPian

Can you claim insurance on this part?

If insurance isn't an option, I suggest you check with local FNGs for a secondhand part. They have contacts with scrap dealer networks and are usually able to source spares within a week or two. Will cost much much lesser than 40k.
stallmaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 18:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
I am having a bit of problem that I find hard to believe. I had a new intercooler installed in my car (Toyota Corolla Altis, 2011 D4DG) in January 2020, after the previous one was damaged. A few days ago I found oil where the intercooler is located (inside the bumper, in front of the front passenger side tyre). I was obviously concerned and sent the car to the ASS who had replaced the intercooler the last time. Today they called and are saying that the intercooler is damaged due to hitting something.
From March 2020, there was lockdown, lifted just few months ago.

Any figure on number of kilometers your Altis would be driven post this incidence? If it is not much, probability of a hurried job maybe higher.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 19:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since there was no leakage from the newly installed intercooler since last 1 year, I deduce the newly installed may not have had any manufacturing defect when installed.

Now the intercooler has started leaking since very recently. So, there are two possibilities

1. A hit from the bottom which has gone unnoticed by you when the car is Fully loaded with people crossing humps or pebble thrown by tires

2. A spill of the liquid but not exactly leak.

3. Intercooler connecting pipe may have got cracked due to which liquid leaks

I think all three have equal possibility.

When you check with Toyota ASC, please verify if it is just a one time spill due to overfilled fluid when installed.
Secondly, please check the connecting pipes thoroughly. This costs significantly lower compared to intercooler

Last edited by gkveda : 6th April 2021 at 19:55.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 00:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post
In this scenario all I can suggest are two viable options,
1. A thorough check of the damage on inter-cooler it can be repaired.
a. If there is a damage on the fin a normal soldering will workout without any fuss and the bottom mount can be repaired by an experienced technician.
b. If the bottom plastic section has broken, sourcing from a second hand market where scrap vehicle spares are sold off.
2. Another way to procure a new part is from importers (usually well known FNG's have sources as they regularly procure parts from such dealers).

Just to bring into your notice, I contacted one of my ex-colleague who works at Toyota dealership, inquired regarding your model inter-cooler price it is around Rs.35K (I may be wrong too as I had no VIN details).
You are right, I asked them to recheck the intercooler thoroughly and they reported that the vacuum pipe on the intercooler was damaged. They replaced it for free as a goodwill gesture.

This was a real relief as I was looking at a high value replacement for reasons that I am still not sure of. Also, yes, the intercooler itself comes at around 31000, but it also needs some additional pipes, etc that brings its cost to around 38000 (including labour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Can you claim insurance on this part?

If insurance isn't an option, I suggest you check with local FNGs for a secondhand part. They have contacts with scrap dealer networks and are usually able to source spares within a week or two. Will cost much much lesser than 40k.
I did check the local FNG and they quoted me Rs. 13000.00 for the intercooler, though I am not sure about the quality. Thankfully, the problem was fixed without me needing to risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
From March 2020, there was lockdown, lifted just few months ago.

Any figure on number of kilometers your Altis would be driven post this incidence? If it is not much, probability of a hurried job maybe higher.
I work at a Bank, which comes under essential services, so technically there was no lockdown for me. The car has done about 16000 kilometres since January 2020, so I doubt it was a hurried job. Something damaged the intercooler in the past few days, and I am still not sure what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
1. A hit from the bottom which has gone unnoticed by you when the car is Fully loaded with people crossing humps or pebble thrown by tires

2. A spill of the liquid but not exactly leak.

3. Intercooler connecting pipe may have got cracked due to which liquid leaks

I think all three have equal possibility.

When you check with Toyota ASC, please verify if it is just a one time spill due to overfilled fluid when installed.
Secondly, please check the connecting pipes thoroughly. This costs significantly lower compared to intercooler
Point 3 made by you is what the service center people told me after they were done with the car. Although, how that could have happened is beyond me. I don't think intercoolers break in a Toyota all of a sudden, so its still a puzzle for me.

As for the car being overloaded, She usually has just two passengers including me, and I don't remember there ever being more than 3 people in the car during the last one year. Though I must admit, I take the car over some extremely bad roads.

The service center people suggested that a pebble could have hit it from below, but I don't see how it could have gotten there past the engine guard.

Anyway, they say all's well that ends well, and my car is now ready for a long awaited road trip to Rajasthan that I have planned for the end of this month.

I want to thank everyone here who have helped me to make sense of something that was so puzzling to me.

Thank you everyone.
pareekvirendra is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 11:35   #9
BHPian

re: New intercooler damaged & leaking on a Toyota Corolla Altis. EDIT: Faulty vacuum pipe fixed

Quote:
Anyway, they say all's well that ends well, and my car is now ready for a long awaited road trip to Rajasthan that I have planned for the end of this month.

I want to thank everyone here who have helped me to make sense of something that was so puzzling to me.

Thank you everyone.
I'm glad your issue was fixed and that it wasn't anything major.

Have a safe and fun Road trip!!!
Gamerk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 15:09   #10
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

re: New intercooler damaged & leaking on a Toyota Corolla Altis. EDIT: Faulty vacuum pipe fixed

If it is a result of a hit from a foreign object, it is covered under insurance. Have got it done on one of our cars. Damages are possible even with small stones if they fly through the bumper. Talk with the ASS to see how it can be dealt with.

Alternatively, it could be a faulty intercooler too, which could leak from the joint where the end tanks (sort of the convergent pieces which are in plastic) join with the core (aluminium).

Just check if there was anything rubbing against the intercooler after the repair was carried out or if the mounts were loose. Have seen the core get damaged by chaffing caused by something rubbing against it, in an industrial application.

A poorly repaired intercooler would have clear signs of brazing filler or visible patches as OEM stuff would not have that look. So an inspection after cleaning the dust spot is a must.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
They replaced it for free as a goodwill gesture.
I would say this is the best part of this whole ordeal. Such stories tend to bolster the famed Toyota Image.
Generally rare to hear Toyota ASS cheating customers.
aashishnb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
They replaced it for free as a goodwill gesture.
I think the concerned ASC deserves to be made known to all of us. It's very hard to find honest ASS these days. Please do name the service center, if you dont mind. Thanks
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
I would say this is the best part of this whole ordeal. Such stories tend to bolster the famed Toyota Image.
Generally rare to hear Toyota ASS cheating customers.
I have been to Toyota ASC in 5 cities in 2 states (I used to travel a lot before COVID) and I am yet to be disappointed by an ASC that has the Toyota Badge. Every single time at every workshop they make me feel as if I am the most important person for them that day and that my car really matters to them. Every time they really listen to me and try to get to the root cause of the problem and solve it in the least amount of time and money.

This is the sort of peace of mind that I was looking for when I bought my car and whenever I replace it, I will surely replace it with another Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I think the concerned ASC deserves to be made known to all of us. It's very hard to find honest ASS these days. Please do name the service center, if you don't mind. Thanks
I definitely don't mind. Its Sharayu Toyota in Aurangabad. They are simply amazing. I do feel like I am going overboard, but they are really that good. They never push unnecessary stuff on me and always take really good care of my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
If it is a result of a hit from a foreign object, it is covered under insurance. Have got it done on one of our cars. Damages are possible even with small stones if they fly through the bumper. Talk with the ASS to see how it can be dealt with.

Alternatively, it could be a faulty intercooler too, which could leak from the joint where the end tanks (sort of the convergent pieces which are in plastic) join with the core (aluminium).

Just check if there was anything rubbing against the intercooler after the repair was carried out or if the mounts were loose. Have seen the core get damaged by chaffing caused by something rubbing against it, in an industrial application.

A poorly repaired intercooler would have clear signs of brazing filler or visible patches as OEM stuff would not have that look. So an inspection after cleaning the dust spot is a must.
Thankfully, it was just a vacuum tube and it has now been fixed.

I doubt that the intercooler itself was faulty, since I did cover a lot of distance after it was fitted.

I did check the place where it is fitted and there was nothing rubbing against it, it has its own place in the front bumper where nothing comes to it, except in the case of an impact, as was my case.

It wasn't repaired, it was a new one, and it was OEM, fitted at the ASC. however, since it is sealed on all sides after fitting, I wasn't able to inspect it. I did however check before it was fitted again and it looks good.

Lets hope there are no more surprises.
pareekvirendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 08:25   #14

As it has not yet been able to ascertain why the vacuum pipe broke , i suggest you keep a close watch of the area where you noticed the leak every now and then and if it repeats there must be some part or defect which is causing this. Happy riding!!
Malluspec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 18:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New intercooler damaged & leaking on a Toyota Corolla Altis. EDIT: Faulty vacuum pipe fixed

Quote:
..and I am yet to be disappointed by an ASC that has the Toyota Badge. Every single time at every workshop they make me feel as if I am the most important person for them that day and that my car really matters to them. Every time they really listen to me and try to get to the root cause of the problem and solve it in the least amount of time and money.

This is the sort of peace of mind that I was looking for when I bought my car and whenever I replace it, I will surely replace it with another Toyota.
That's exactly the sort of experience I have had since buying my 1st Corolla back in March 2006 and 2nd one in Oct 2008. Never been disappointed. It is very hard for any car manufacturer's service centres to consistently clock nearly the same level of customer satisfaction (and I am a stickler mind you) for 15 long years. This is across 3 service centres in 2 States. Hats off to TKM and their dealers. In the past, to me peace of mind meant Maruti Suzuki and since 2006 it's been both MS & Toyota. Zero regrets. I'll always have at least 1 Toyota in my garage. I really like the new Camry, the fit and finish is very Lexus-like let's call it a poor mans Lexus. But the price! It is a little unrealistic when a 330i is not too far away price wise.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks