Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2021, 18:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster: Engine timing changed, warranty denied, pathetic customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
No man. The timing belt is not the same as drive belt which drives the accessories. Timing belt change is at 1.2-1.3L Kms. 60,000 is the drive belt change, we have a duster in our group, its about to get the timing belt changed as its nearing 1.3L Kms.
Not sure about this, I thought it was at 60k kms

Quote:
In this case please fix the sprocket connected to the crank and see if that fixes the problem. FNGs are familiar with K9K since cabbies have them, may as well look at that route and save some money.
Yes am parallelly talking to a trusted FNG as well to save some money if I need to get it repaired at my own cost because none from Renault are responding and it has been more than a week now.
Old 8th April 2021, 19:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster: Engine timing changed, warranty denied, pathetic customer service

Though I have never worked on a Renault engine, but have worked extensively on honda and suzuki engines and with that experience I would like to share my two cents

1. Rear oil seal has got nothing to do with heat/coolant or any of that bs.
2. Crappy coolant wont cause anything but rust to build up and that will spoil the water pump at max. Have seen cars run with tap
water for thousands of kilometers, so you can throw that nonsense out of the window.
3. Oil on the timing chain will not cause the tooth to jump in 99% of the cases unless there is slack in the belt itself.
4. As per the service history, the timing tensioner that was changed was/might not have been installed/tensioned and tightened
properly causing the belt to loose slack and slip/jump a tooth.
5. I have seen a lot of cranks and the timing belt pulley's but I have never see such a gap between/in the crank and pulley where the
"Key" sits.
There can and will be no space between them and the reason why you have that slot for the key to perfectly go in is ONLY to
ensure that there is NO PLAY between the timing belt pulley and the crank it itself.

This looks like a major goof up while trying to change the water pump as the timing belt has to be removed.

But I still wonder how on earth did they manage to put back the crank pulley with the crank key out of position!! Brut force I guess.

I'd suggest, take it head on with the senior guys at Renault and post on social media with the pictures, they should come running to sort this out as this clearly looks like negligence while servicing your vehicle.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 8th April 2021 at 19:30.
ssjr0498 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 20:58   #18
BHPian

Brands that sell fewer cars depend on the dealership/A.S.C for handling 99% of all customer complaints. I don't have experience with Renault, but have with Tata (Have not had much interaction in the past 3 years though) and Honda. Any queries/complaints you raise with their portals and customer care helpline, will get transferred to a dealer/A.S.C. And their frontline customer care guys don't know much about cars as well.

As I see you can try the following:

1. Push the dealership to get a Renault service engineer to look at the vehicle along with you and the ASC guys.
2. Change the ASC.

Don't leave your vehicle in ASC for extended periods of time unless you trust your ASC.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 00:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post

1. Push the dealership to get a Renault service engineer to look at the vehicle along with you and the ASC guys.

2. Change the ASC.

Don't leave your vehicle in ASC for extended periods of time unless you trust your ASC.
1. I have asked the dealership to get this checked , asked them who from Renault checked the problem and have mailed to senior management to assign an expert to take a look at this problem but no response from any yet

2. Problem is in Bangalore there is only one dealerships which is Trident, though I can change the location but still they are interconnected since they are under the same umbrella.
I got suspicious when the closed up everything before I visited to take a look at the car so I got the car back and left it at the FSG. I am not sure how long it will take or when they will provide approval for repairs if they ever do, will decide based on the developments.

Quote:
This looks like a major goof up while trying to change the water pump as the timing belt has to be removed.
I too think they goofed up and to cover it up they are trying to cook up some story and convince me and close the case

Quote:
I'd suggest, take it head on with the senior guys at Renault and post on social media with the pictures, they should come running to sort this out as this clearly looks like negligence while servicing your vehicle.
Yes thinking of posting on social media to get their attention. Have sent two mails to the senior guys at Renault, looking for more leads to involve more to bring it to their notice but so far no response from the senior guys whom I have already mailed twice.

Last edited by prguru : 9th April 2021 at 00:12. Reason: typo
prguru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:20   #20
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

There are many counts on which Renault / Trident (dealer) and its principles are wrong. The foremost being - Denying the customer a logical and convincing explanation irrespective of whether the damage and cost of repair is covered under warranty or not.
  • Why didn't they show him the heat damage in the oil seal?
  • Why didn't they explain by how much the belt has slipped?
  • Why is the car running with skipped timing?
  • Why wasn't the customer asked to change the coolant when issuing the Anytime Warranty Package to him?
  • Why have they not corresponded with their other outlet to get to know what caused the belt to slip in less than 15k km from the belt replacement service?

Putting the blame of everything that goes wrong in the car on this "coolant not changed issue" is connivery - and shows poor work ethics and disregard of the customer centric approach that the brand needs to build, foraying into mass-market cars.

Renault is sitting put, which shows their lack of intent to get through to a customer and hear what he has to say. He can be provided a one-on-one with the co-techs for a joint diagnosis.

Have been in touch with prguru since the last few days. Renault's silence is deeply concerning.
Tgo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 16:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Yes thinking of posting on social media to get their attention. Have sent two mails to the senior guys at Renault, looking for more leads to involve more to bring it to their notice but so far no response from the senior guys whom I have already mailed twice.
Please check your D.M.
Old 9th April 2021, 23:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

Renault is sitting put, which shows their lack of intent to get through to a customer and hear what he has to say. He can be provided a one-on-one with the co-techs for a joint diagnosis.

Have been in touch with prguru since the last few days. Renault's silence is deeply concerning.
I had asked them to assign an expert from Renault to take a look at the issue but I got a call from their zone head side instead and he had discussed wit the service manager and he also said it is because of coolant. They are not ready to listen to me and only point they want to put across is that coolant was not changed hence warranty is void.

Another concern I have is if there is any other problem in the future I am not sure if they will agree to have it repaired under warranty and might drag this coolant thing into that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post
Please check your D.M.
Sure
prguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 15:56   #23
BHPian

Since most of the others have mentioned about the possibility of foul play, I'll stick to the solution aspect.

If it was my car I'd move it out of this particular service centre asap. Even if it means towing it out.

Find a competent privately owned car workshop - not the roadside temporary set ups but a proper workshop - there are quite a few in most metropolitan cities. You might just end up spending 1/10th the cost that has been quoted to you by this particular service centre.
theqca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 19:19   #24
BHPian

From the sound of it and looking at all other comments, it seems the dealer/ASC must've thought you are a cash cow (bakra in hindi) - you agreed to buying 1 yr (substandard / improper service) warranty and paid top dollar for it. Normally, I guess second owners would not spend 30k for 1 yr warranty and take their chances thinking annual cost wouldn't be that much anyways.

They must be trying to make quick additional money and now realized that they've got their tails between their legs!!
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 22:53   #25
BHPian

Looking at the timing belt pulley, you can see that the timing is off by at least a tooth. The coolant has nothing to do with it. The locking pin has eaten away at the sprocket.
Seals dont swell because of the coolant.
The coolant in my car is now 7 years old and last time I checked with a refactometer, it was good for -45 degrees. It has been topped up at every timing belt change with concentrated coolant.
I think the mechanic is pulling your leg.
Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:20   #26
BHPian

This is the root cause, the pin which locks the pulley to cam shaft is worn out and there is a play in the cam shaft as well but this was never disclosed to me by the A.S.S. They just said engine oil spilled on the pulley causing timing to jump. I am not sure how this play could have happened.

Renault Duster: Engine timing changed, warranty denied, pathetic customer service-img_20210403_175012__01.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post

If it was my car I'd move it out of this particular service centre asap. Even if it means towing it out.
I have dropped it at a trusted FNG because judging by their response ( and no responses ) I have no hope of getting approval for repairs using the warranty and did not want to leave the car at their hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
From the sound of it and looking at all other comments, it seems the dealer/ASC must've thought you are a cash cow (bakra in hindi) - you agreed to buying 1 yr (substandard / improper service) warranty and paid top dollar for it. Normally, I guess second owners would not spend 30k for 1 yr warranty and take their chances thinking annual cost wouldn't be that much anyways.

They must be trying to make quick additional money and now realized that they've got their tails between their legs!!
They should never take a customer for granted and in my case they probably did. I am not sure if I will get a warranty or not but I want to at least let others know what is going on and how A.S.S misguide customers specially when it comes to repairs which cost a lot.

Last edited by prguru : 10th April 2021 at 23:21. Reason: correction
prguru is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:41   #27
BHPian

Keeping the technical aspects aside, I am not surprised with the attitude of the dealer which i assume is Trident as they are the only Renault dealers in Bangalore and they have a callous attitude due to their monopoly in the city/State.

I don't think Renault also would take action like on some of the previous cases reported for the same dealer.
samuelv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 02:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
This is the root cause, the pin which locks the pulley to cam shaft is worn out and there is a play in the cam shaft as well but this was never disclosed to me by the A.S.S. They just said engine oil spilled on the pulley causing timing to jump. I am not sure how this play could have happened.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=7TOeRk9hAfY

Attachment 2142961

I have dropped it at a trusted FNG because judging by their response ( and no responses ) I have no hope of getting approval for repairs using the warranty and did not want to leave the car at their hands.

They should never take a customer for granted and in my case they probably did. I am not sure if I will get a warranty or not but I want to at least let others know what is going on and how A.S.S misguide customers specially when it comes to repairs which cost a lot.
This looks worse than I thought from the previous pictures. Looks like the crankshaft is damaged.I would not drive the car before it is sorted out. The pulley bolt probably was not tightened well enough.
I dont think this has just happened. It has been loose for a very long time.
Can you go back to the shop and talk some sense into the guy?
Do you see the shiny spots on the bak of the pulley. These spots will show that it was torqued correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster: Engine timing changed, warranty denied, pathetic customer service-pulleyduster.jpg  

Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 22:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelv View Post
Keeping the technical aspects aside, I am not surprised with the attitude of the dealer which i assume is Trident as they are the only Renault dealers in Bangalore and they have a callous attitude due to their monopoly in the city/State.

I don't think Renault also would take action like on some of the previous cases reported for the same dealer.
Yes this is the main problem otherwise I could have gotten it checked by another dealer as well. But now since it is just one dealer everything will say the same story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Do you see the shiny spots on the bak of the pulley. These spots will show that it was torqued correctly.
Will take a look at this if I can see any spots as seen in the picture.
prguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 23:24   #30

But of course, the service center is reneging on the warranty claim and the reasons given are absolutely unbelievable. My daily drive is a 5.4L 4x4 in the middle east, didn't change the coolant for 9 years / 100,000 kms, just topped up. When a coolant hose burst recently, i lost half the coolant, topped up with tap water and drove for 3 months in 40 to 50 deg C ambient before replacing the coolant, and the engine temperature never budged from normal.

I'd put all the facts on paper, ask a Lawyer to draft a letter brimming with legal jargon and demand that the car be repaired under the warranty within 7 days, failing which you would have it repaired elsewhere reserving the right to claim all costs through the appropriate forum. If the letter won't bear results, go ahead with repairs while keeping records of all costs, and subsequently take a decision on pursuing the matter through the consumer courts.
Indiguy is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks