Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 00:06   #1
BHPian

Oil in the engine bay?

Hello fellow Bhpians ! I hope all of you and your loved ones are in good health !

I own a 2018 Maruti Suzuki Brezza and this morning I popped the hood to refill the wiper water tank. To my horrific surprise, I saw oil residue all over the engine bay. This has never happened in the past and I don't know when and how this started. I saw unbelievable oil splatter marks all over the right side of my engine and oil leak/residue in the middle and the bottom half. There are oil stain even on the cover of the air filter box. Not sure what and how this happened but never seen anything like this with any of my other cars, 2 of which are diesel and more than 8 years old.

I keep my cars in very good shape, get them regularly serviced and have a very sedate driving habit. The car runs stock and everytime the bonnet opens for a checkup, it is at a MASS only.

I haven't used the car since the time I saw it. Attaching pictures for better understanding. I'd truly appreciate any expert guidance on this. It'll be helpful because then I go and ask the SA at MASS exactly what I need instead of letting them take me for a ride (which happens almost every time I visit them with anything and ask for their opinion).

TIA

- A trying-to-keep-calm Deepesh

Oil in the engine bay?-whatsapp-image-20210414-11.14.57-pm.jpeg

Oil in the engine bay?-whatsapp-image-20210414-11.14.57-pm-2.jpeg

Oil in the engine bay?-whatsapp-image-20210414-11.14.57-pm-1.jpeg

Oil in the engine bay?-whatsapp-image-20210414-11.14.58-pm.jpeg
DeepeshKarnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 00:40   #2
BHPian

re: Oil in the engine bay?

Hard to say without checking, but I have seen such oil stains in cars with oil in intercooler. Maybe your turbo has some play in it, weakening the oil seal, so some of that is seeping into intercooler. If that's the case, there will be some amount of dark smoke from your exhaust.

In any case, get it checked ASAP.
stallmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 15:23   #3
BHPian

re: Oil in the engine bay?

As you have mentioned the vehicle runs stock.IMO, there isn't any serious issue with this oil leakage. May be there might be some loose clip in the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation system). To self check the car prior to taking it to MASS.

1. Perform a visual inspection at intercooler, it's hose and connections, near turbocharger, and under body.
2. Clean the visible area in the engine bay with a damp cloth and then with dry one to avoid unnecessary suspicion.
3. Check the engine oil level to know whether there is a concern or not. Providing a link for how to inspect the engine oil.

4. Start the engine, wait for 10 sec and check for any warning lamp glowing in the instrument cluster for either engine or wiring (spring type) symbol. If, you find any of these please contact the dealer and ask for arranging a technician to get it inspected and if they suggest the vehicle can be driven to workshop you may handover the vehicle to them and if in case of the issue is not worthy for driving please get it towed by RSA (Road Side Assistance). If, there aren't any warning symbols then, gradually rev the engine upto 2000, 3000 and 5000 rpm hold it for few secs and release the pedal. One person may stand at the front section to observe for any abnormal sounds like whistling or air leak. If you aren't able to find any drive the vehicle at nominal speed 40-50kmph to the service station or call them, briefing your concern and avail pick up service (do inform to provide a technician to inspect the vehicle before it is driven to avoid any surprises later).

I hope my voice is relevant to your concern and may this procedure lead you to the right outcome with a positive note. Waiting for your further update.
Old 16th April 2021, 16:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Oil in the engine bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post

- A trying-to-keep-calm Deepesh
Did you check the bay while the engine is running, very difficult to predict since there are turbo hoses, hydraulic hoses, and fuel lines in there and one of them indeed seems to be leaking. First, start and see if there is anything apparent that is showing, if not slowly drive to the nearest service or call them home. Whatever it is get it checked and let us know what it was.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 14:54   #5
BHPian

The thick pipe looks to be the Charge pipe, this is a turbo no?

Charge pipes generally have a lot of oil because of blow by, but this is more than I've ever seen. I understand your concern, but take a little more time and figure out where this leak is coming from, and what that part is. Simple troubleshooting and diagnosis.

It's an easy task for a bhpian
it may be MASS, but why rely on the ASC for everything. Since you didn't notice anything amiss, it's probably fine. Otherwise a CEL( check engine light) would've popped up.

My guess is, that a clip somewhere gave up. Don't sweat it.

Keep us updated.
Old 3rd July 2021, 15:59   #6
BHPian

An update on this thread: Me & my family were down with COVID some time after I had initiated this thread. We got back in good health just a week ago and things came back to routine.

I got my Brezza washed on Wednesday, filled the tank, top up the tyre and had a service appointment with the service centre for today. However, my car was stolen yesterday morning, from outside my house. Still not able to accept its gone !
Old 3rd July 2021, 16:01   #7
BHPian

(vehicle stolen) Re: Oil in the engine bay?

An update on this thread: Me & my family were down with COVID some time after I had initiated this thread. We got back in good health just a week ago and things came back to routine.

I got my Brezza washed on Wednesday, filled the tank, top up the tyre and had a service appointment with the service centre for today. However, my car was stolen yesterday morning, from outside my house. Still not able to accept its gone !
Old 3rd July 2021, 18:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: (vehicle stolen) Re: Oil in the engine bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post

It is shocking to know that the oil splash story unfortunately ended (at least for the time being) with car theft! That too after the election season is over. Let us hope that your car will be found soon in good condition.

If the oil is all over the engine bay, first suspect is the engine oil leakage. Have you tried what other members have recommended?

Now that the car has been stolen, the oil splash (and the possibly low oil level) may be a blessing in disguise. There are high chances that the thief may have to abandon the car because of problems like engine seize. Though that may take toll on your pocket, at least you will get your car back. So do lodge a complaint at the earliest and tell the police that the car had some problem.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 3rd July 2021 at 18:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks