Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Tata Nexon Diesel engine dies on highway | Error code "Number 1 injector open circuit"

Hello fellow BHPians,
I searched extensively and looks like no one has faced this issue. My dad drives a 2019 Nexon diesel, manual transmission. It has covered 52000 kms. Car has been immaculately maintained. My dad is a gearhead and can take apart an engine and put it back together.
Now to the incident. While on the highway, the engine all of a sudden dies, all the lights on the instrument cluster light up and go dark. He somehow manages to coast to the side of the road. The engine is totally dead by now and would not startup. The Tata roadside service guy turns up, connects the diagnostics computer and sees the error code- "Number 1 injector open circuit". He clears the error code and the engine starts up again. The service folks would not comment how to avoid this again in the future.

I want to find out if anyone else has faced similar issues ? This serious incident has seriously impacted our confidence in the car. I'm not sure if this issue could happen again at random.
tracerspiff is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 00:05   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon Diesel engine dies on highway | Error code "Number 1 injector open circuit"

Loose battery connection could cause this issue, I had similar issues in my car and they plagued for the next 20k kms, confused me a lot. Finally my mechanic checked the battery connection and it was kinda loose, after tightening it, the issue never recurred.
Rshrey22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:11   #3
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon Diesel engine dies on highway | Error code "Number 1 injector open circuit"

Generally, for an injector open circuit, one could check for any loose connections and ensure all grounds are connected properly.
ssjr0498 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 01:12   #4
BHPian

Nexon is a good car. In our family, we have a 2018 Nexon that has gone past 1Lakh KMs, still running fine. Touch wood. We also had similar problem ( not sure if it's exactly the same as yours) that was fixed by TATA guys when it was in it's 50k mileage range and refused to start in a petrol bunk, but never had any major issues after that.
cmani0000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:52   #5
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon Diesel engine dies on highway | Error code "Number 1 injector open circuit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Loose battery connection could cause this issue, I had similar issues in my car and they plagued for the next 20k kms, confused me a lot. Finally my mechanic checked the battery connection and it was kinda loose, after tightening it, the issue never recurred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Generally, for an injector open circuit, one could check for any loose connections and ensure all grounds are connected properly.
Thanks for the inputs guys. Have asked my dad to check the connections.

However I wonder if this is a serious enough issue to be highlighted to TATA. Engine switching off on a busy highway is very dangerous. There definitely has been some lapses in manufacturing.
Old 26th April 2021, 19:15   #6
BANNED

Re: Tata Nexon Diesel engine dies on highway | Error code "Number 1 injector open circuit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerspiff View Post
Thanks for the inputs guys. Have asked my dad to check the connections.

However I wonder if this is a serious enough issue to be highlighted to TATA. Engine switching off on a busy highway is very dangerous. There definitely has been some lapses in manufacturing.
Regardless of how trivial it is to fix - the impact may be catastrophic and deadly to the occupants or others if it happens during an overtaking maneuver. I don't think one should be letting either the mechanic or TATA walk away without an explanation or cover-up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks