Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2021, 14:38   #1

Car starting problem only in the morning

I have Tata Bolt Petrol/ CNG of 2018. My driving is 150 kms per day. I have Exide Mileage Battery since 1.5 years. Since March, I am facing unknown problem. Every Morning, I find my Battery Dead, even if it is fully charged (Green Indicator on Battery). So I have to call nearest Battery walaa for Jump Start. Car immediately starts when Jump Start is given. After few second Alternator also starts. The whole day Car runs finely. Starts finely even after a break of 5 hrs. But after parking in the night, next day morning same problem occurs, Dead Battery ! that too when there is a Green Indicator in the Battery. So again call for a single second jump start. Some mechanics say the fault is with Battery, Some say Problem is with Alternator, Some say There is Current Leakage.
Any idea Where is the problem? I doubt if I install new Battery and same problem occurs then it will be waste of money. Hence I request your valuable opinion abt the problem. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Car starting problem only in the morning-img_20210422_110351.jpg  

Old 24th April 2021, 18:05   #2
BHPian

re: Car starting problem only in the morning

I think you have a parasitic drain. A circuit is bleeding current from the battery. You can isolate the circuit with an ampere meter. Not a clamp amp meter.
Dont buy a new battery before you check this out.

You might have the same problems with a new battery.

Check out this video. There are lots more in youtube.

Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

There are two ways to diagnose the problem.

1. What are the after market electrical and electronic accessories that are installed in the car? Suggest to remove everything and keep the car stock.

Try if the car starts in the morning normally as stock. If it starts in one go, then, one of the after market accessories is the culprit.

If step 1 doesn't work, then

2. Remove the battery terminals in the night. Connect them in the morning and start. If the car starts normally, then, it is definitely not battery issue but some stock accessory or circuit installed by manufacturer is causing the leak.
If the car does not start normally even after disconnection in the night, then the battery is the culprit OR the alternator is not charging the battery properly.

Conduct the entire experiment after charging the battery fully in the night (i. e, at least 2-3 hours drive before resting the car in night)

Last edited by gkveda : 24th April 2021 at 18:41.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordawekar View Post
after parking in the night, next day morning same problem occurs, Dead Battery ! that too when there is a Green Indicator in the Battery
First, a few questions, and then I'll give my 2 cents

1. Does the voltage across the battery read 12.4 to 12.6V when the engine is off, and 13.8 to 14.3V with engine on?

2. Have you got the specific gravity of electrolyte in each cell of the battery checked? Did it read 1.24 - 1.27?

3. Did you install any aftermarket accessories and then encounter this problem immediately after? If yes, what?

Do get yourself a multimeter. It will cost a few hundred bucks but is a must have tool.

Please refer to this parasitic draw test (Parasitic Draw Test on a Grand Vitara - Voltage drop of 0.6 to 0.8V) and perform the first test to measure the current draw between the battery negative terminal and the battery negative clamp after it is disconnected.

I'll be glad to help you get to the root of the issue if you're willing to take it head on.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks