Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2021, 23:01   #1

Steering noise from the front-right | Long list of parts replaced

Hi All

This shall be my first post at Teambhp & trust me I am really excited to be here & as I write I feel privileged to be a part of this community. While my initial plan was to write a review for my loved Tata Bolt (I know many of you shall be raising an eyebrow here) but let me confess that I am one of the proud owners of Tata Bolt XM Diesel that became a part of life at the fag end of 2017. Nevertheless, one thing that actually surprised me is that there is not even a single user review of this very practical hatch on this forum. Anyhow expect a detailed review of my Bolt pretty soon & I shall be very happy to share my experience in detail through the same.

As of now, I am seeking advice onto a problem yes you read it right a problem which I have been facing over the last three & half years since the very first day of ownership which is the only issue I have faced till date.

My Tata Bolt is a November' 2017 XM model which I got a steal deal as the dealership was getting closed & they were trying to clear the stocks. Till date the car has run close to 48000 KMS & the service schedule has been followed religiously with the vehicle being serviced every 10000 kms at the authorised service centre. The service centre has remained the same almost throughout barring the first free check up which was done at a separate service centre. Before I dwell onto the issue let me also mention the parts changed till now (specific to the problem I shall be mentioning as the post progresses):

Stabilizer Link Replace (961KMS)
Steering Column Assy, C- EPAS (2161 KMS)
Steering Rack Assembly/ Gearbox Remove & Refit (16709 KMS)
Again Steering Rack Assembly/ Gearbox Remove & Refit (Power Steering) @ 27607 KMS
Stabiliser Link Replace (28478 KMS)
Front Strut Tob Rubber Mount Replacement, R&R Front Wheel Knuckle (28705 KMS)
Stabiliser Link Replace (Each), R&R Front Wheel Knuckle (29843 KMS)
R&R Front Wheel knuckle, Disassemble & Assemble Front Strut (Each) Replace parts,Lower Contro; Arm Assembly RH (31278 KMS)
Stabiliser Link Replace (Each) (33859KMS)
Subframe Assy (M/S Cosma) (35514KMS)

While most of the experts would have by now understood the issue to an extent however I shall also elaborate the issue to the best of the ability & while the service centre as well as my local mechanic have confirmed that the issue is not serious & shall not impact the vehicle however to me it is highly irritating to drive a vehicle with such an issue. Now let me try to explain

My Bolt' s Front Right tyre makes a khat khat sound while going over uneven surface. Let me explain it like this. There is no Khat Khat sound when I go over a pothole but there is a khat khat sound on any uneven part of the road. When I say uneven it does not mean rough roads, it is like any unevenness on the road surface, tiled roads where- in the tiling is uneven. Initially the issue used to surface 8 out of 10 times & gradually after multiple visits to the service centres it is not 3 out of 10 times. It is not like that every time I go on a tiled road or uneven surface that the khat khat sound comes but it does. The pattern is not consistent. Also, when it comes I do feel that there is a slight play in the steering rod (I am not that very technical).

On a recent long route travel where- in there were too many diversions & uneven road, it actually became a pain to drive the vehicle as I feel irritated due to this. Always keeping the music on is also not an option as I at times want a relaxed drive. The vehicle otherwise is a gem of a product & I am more than happy with this vehicle. My brother in law also have the same model (we purchased two Bolts together due to the deal price) & there is no such issue with his vehicle

As many of you would feel that the Tata service is a miss, I shall beg to differ as the folks at the service centre including the centre incharge, GM are very cooperative & have walked that extra mile to help me out. The surprising thing to me is that the mechanic who has been working onto my vehicle says that "Sir, cab such change Kar Diya hai" but after so many visits the issue is still there.

One more thing, whenever I get the vehicle checked they tighten up the nuts & bolts & then this issue subsides for a day or so or rather comes up may be 1 out of 10 times. I love my vehicle & I want to keep it for long as I find it to be a very economical & comfortable vehicle but this issue which has left unresolved for almost 4 years is at times pushing me to sell this vehicle

I seek the advice of the esteemed members of this forum to help me get rid of this problem once for all

Regards
Rubal
pitstop_chd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 11:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Steering noise from the front-right | Long list of parts replaced

Very difficult to guide but hope they have ruled out other parts like a silencer-related part or say even thing like the engine and gearbox mounts, loose cables inside the hood or fender? Also, have you tried swapping the complete strut assembly and see if that helps? Since you know which corner the sound comes from, a check of all the parts including body parts that side needs to be done.

Maybe other tata owners might be able to shed more light.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 12:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitstop_chd View Post
Before I dwell onto the issue let me also mention the parts changed till now (specific to the problem I shall be mentioning as the post progresses):

Again Steering Rack Assembly/ Gearbox Remove & Refit (Power Steering) @ 27607 KMS
R&R Front Wheel knuckle, Disassemble & Assemble Front Strut (Each) Replace parts,Lower Contro; Arm Assembly RH (31278 KMS)
Initially the issue used to surface 8 out of 10 times & gradually after multiple visits to the service centres it is not 3 out of 10 times.
...they tighten up the nuts & bolts & then this issue subsides for a day or so or rather comes up may be 1 out of 10 times.
That's a strange rattle, and your workshop seems to have swapped out everything they could. I can offer two suggestions:

#1. Replace the entire front right strut unit - spring, damper, everything as a pre-assembled unit. That's the only thing that does not appear to have been replaced (although it's been taken apart and assembled again).

If that does not solve your issue:

#2. Get a high strength threadlocker like Loctite 263 or Loctite 277, and get your mechanic to apply to all the nuts & bolts that are being tightened.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 11th May 2021 at 12:27.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:

My Bolt' s Front Right tyre makes a khat khat sound while going over uneven surface. Let me explain it like this. There is no Khat Khat sound when I go over a pothole but there is a khat khat sound on any uneven part of the road. When I say uneven it does not mean rough roads, it is like any unevenness on the road surface, tiled roads where- in the tiling is uneven. Initially the issue used to surface 8 out of 10 times & gradually after multiple visits to the service centres it is not 3 out of 10 times. It is not like that every time I go on a tiled road or uneven surface that the khat khat sound comes but it does. The pattern is not consistent. Also, when it comes I do feel that there is a slight play in the steering rod (I am not that very technical).

From your explanation above, it feels like there could be some longitudinal play in the wheel along the wheel axis. Imagine the wheel moving in and out. That could be the reason of the steering play that you felt.
As you didn't specify in your post, did you check the wheel bearing?
Maybe that has some play in it? Does replacing the bearing help?
Old 11th May 2021, 13:34   #5
BHPian

From the list of parts, the only suspension component which hasn’t been replaced is the strut assembly. Shock absorber or full assembly including spring and mount. If you can get full assembly try to change that.

Next suspect is the strut mount, since you have changed the steering column and rack. Suspension parts should always be changed as a pair due to chances of uneven wear.

Please get your car up on a lift and inspect the other parts, including lower arms. Some of them are replaced a longer time ago and may have worn out as well. If you see signs of play or rubber wearing out, go ahead and replace them as well.

All the best and hope your issue gets sorted out !

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 11th May 2021 at 13:39.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

While most of the experts would have by now understood the issue to an extent however I shall also elaborate the issue to the best of the ability & while the service centre as well as my local mechanic have confirmed that the issue is not serious & shall not impact the vehicle however to me it is highly irritating to drive a vehicle with such an issue. Now let me try to explain
When the mechanic does not even know what the problem is, how does he know it is not serious?

Some one competent needs to test drive it, preferably from Tata service, put this up on the lift afterwards and take a torque wrench and set everything to factory spec in the front clip. It is tedious and unlikely to easily find someone to do this.

My guess? either the steering rack itself or something connected to it is loose.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:

My Bolt' s Front Right tyre makes a khat khat sound while going over uneven surface.

Regards
Rubal
That is one extensive list of parts replaced and or repaired on your car. Even more than I have replaced on my car the past 9 years and 230,000 km.

The sound you mentioned could be a tyre fault. Put the wheels in a balancing machine and see if it is round.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Bolt' s Front Right tyre makes a khat khat sound while going over uneven surface.
Here's another case of undiagnosed suspension /tyre noise. Read about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
The rattle though was very prominent, every time I went over a rough patch of road at a decent speed, a drumming sound came from the front of the car.
We, however, found out that the sound only came whenever the front left tire went over a rough patch of the road (most noticeable over the yellow markers/reflectors that are placed on the edge of our roads/highways). There was no progress & finally, they gave up, I was fed up as well.
The drumming sound was anyways not an issue at low speeds or even in high speeds as long as the surface was smooth, only while going over a rough patch at high speeds, the noise was intolerable.
What else but the suspension, to which the mechanic told me that the strut can't be making such a sound. But, even with the high idle issue everyone was clueless, yet it was the throttle body at fault. So, I told him let's put a new LHS strut, if it solves the sound then perfect. Even if it doesn't solve the drumming noise, I would anyways end with a brand new strut. So, we bought a LHS strut assembly (pre-assembled with all the other parts like the spring, bushes etc) from the nearest MGP store & fixed it on the car, my mechanic till that point was sure that I was wasting money. Anyways, we went on a TD, went over a rumble strip, no sound, then we repeated the process many times, the drumming sound had vanished. So, by luck we had finally solved the issue of the drumming sound.
This used to be my car, and the diagnosis process for pinpointing the noise flummoxed many people for a long time.

Your car may well have inherited the ghost of that Swift's strut! Do see if replacing the strut helps.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 11th May 2021 at 19:24.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 20:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

By uneven road, do you mean roads with gravel. Did the mechanic inspect brake calipers? Or do you see the noise going away upon braking?

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 11th May 2021 at 21:00.
Old 11th May 2021, 21:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

The car is 4 years old. 50k is almost done. And it's been a headache since 900 kms(almost a month old)

Almost 50% of the parts listed in the parts catalogue has been changed specific to the problem(may be an exaggerated statement slightly). I am assuming there may be other parts replacement done that are not specifically to the current subject problem.

Now, with all these issues, do you really want to keep it and further investigate the root cause?

Even assuming you find out the root cause by spending all time, effort and money, and rectify the issue. After an year, if you think you would need to upgrade because this car has crossed 5 years and run 50k(lot of new age related issues would crop up after 50k kms), I am sure you will not get even 100 Rupees more than its current value + further depreciation of Tata cars.

So, sincerely suggest to sell the car in as-is state and have fresh car.

You can enjoy rest of 5 years easily, happily.

Last edited by gkveda : 11th May 2021 at 21:30.
Old 11th May 2021, 23:53   #11
BHPian

Possible that it could be the brake caliper. Surely worth a try to check it out.
Old 12th May 2021, 00:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, with so much replaced, at least you know what it is not.

You say it is the right front, but how have you verified this? I am asking because it can be extremely difficult to tell where a noise is coming from. Just because you think, or hear it is coming from the right front, doesn’t mean there is anything wrong in that area.

Your car is one big very complex sound box, so part of a proper diagnose is to verify where the noise is really coming from. You might hear it coming from the right front, but that does not mean the problem is there. It means the sound appears to be coming from that area, nothin else. Finding the cause, means you need somebody that really has the capabilities and the experience of trouble shooting this.

When I have a car with problems like this, I would get it on a lift and get a couple of guys helping me. You need to start pushing and pulling the car in all directions to simulate it driving. You do need quite a bit of muscle power to simulate, but it can be done. If you can replace the sound on the lift, you are half way there, obviously.

I have had cased where I had to drive with somebody on the bonnet, bonnet removed and on top of the engine, in the boot etc. Put a couple of very simple microphone in different places and triangulate. (It is very easy and can be done with a couple of mobile phones and head set. Just to make sure to really pinpoint the noise. I hate to say it, but I see no evidence of any systematic approach to trouble shooting this. I only see an endless stream of parts being replaced. Maybe there was an underlying thought to each replacement, but it does come across as they havent got a clue.

When this much gets replaced and the problem still persist you need to be extremely weary of the trouble shoot competence of the persons involved. They might be genuinely nice and friendly people, but they are not even close to honing in on the problem. Get rid of them!

Finding somebody that can, might be of an issue, but rip and replace tends to a lengthy, expensive and ultimately very frustrating experience. You need to find somebody that can explain in detail how he/she will go about trouble shooting.

Focus on trouble shooting and root cause, not rip and replace!

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 12th May 2021 at 00:27.
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 08:30   #13
BANNED

Re: Steering noise from the front-right | Long list of parts replaced

Sad to hear this story, but happy to see that TATA folks helped you genuinely.
In my humble opinion, you can have a look at the following.
1. Brake calipers.
Remove the wheels and tap at the brake calipers. It could be a brake pad that has worn and is loose in the caliper.
2. Engine mounts.
Hold the engine on the metal portion, not the plastic air filter box etc and shake it vigorously. Try and hear if any sound is emitted.
3. Exhaust pipe mounts.
Shake the exhaust pipe from the rear by hand when vehicle is stopped and see if you can hear this sound.

Please do send pictures and videos of your car if you do wish to share.
Thank you.
Old 13th May 2021, 08:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be a hard one to solve. Been down this road many a time as most of the cars I've owned are used.

Do you hear this more with the windows rolled up or down?

It could be something as simple as the strut making contact or rubbing against the internal wheel well plastic cladding, if this car has any. This has no relation to the play noticed on the steering rack.

How about standing on the front door sil plate and shaking the car, while you have someone seated inside. Yeah it does sound crazy but sometimes you have to do things like this.
Old 13th May 2021, 08:46   #15
BANNED

Good day
Sorry to hear about this issue but at the same time glad the TATA service centers have been supportive.
I would suggest the following check to be performed as in my opinion they could be a factor in this noise.
1. Brake calipers.
Please remove the front wheels, both sides and check if the brake pad is loose inside the brake caliper. You can check this by hitting with your clenched fist.

2. Engine mounts.
Try to grab the engine block in the metal area and shake it with your might. Suspect if any engine mount is having some small crack or similar issue it should show up. Ensure you are holding on the the engine block and not any plastic part like air filter box or the like.

3. Exhaust pipe mounts.
Grab a hold of the exhaust pipe at the rear and shake it vigorously. If possible do it while the car is lifted on a car lift in the workshop to observe its movement.

Do share some photos and videos of your ride doing these test, if you feel like.
Take care and happy driving.
Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks