Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you prefer driving on?
Concrete Road 54 9.17%
Asphalt Road 491 83.36%
Does it really matter? 44 7.47%
Voters: 589. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 09:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Concrete Roads vs Asphalt Roads | Understanding the pros & cons

I would much prefer Concrete roads for highways, given the higher durability vs. heavy load vehicles as mentioned in the OP. However, Asphalt for city roads.
I feel more than anything Asphalt has only gotten a bad name because of the 'questionable' methods used when laying these roads, even putting to shame the 'planned obsolescence' of big mobile manufacturers.
We in Bombay know better than anyone else..
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 09:38   #32
BHPian

I've noticed over the years that concrete roads in India are laid with poor quality. The level between adjacent slabs is not maintained, grooves are not done with a scientific mindset, the gaps between slabs are not filled with the appropriate sealant and the surface is very tough.

In comparison, the concrete freeways in California were phenomenally smooth. There was zero road noise and you couldn't feel a single joint in the car.

It all comes down to how you lay them. I've seen many asphalt roads that are very noisy and bumpy as well. Basically jugaad doesn't yield good things.

Last edited by yd_gli : 12th May 2021 at 09:40.
yd_gli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 09:49   #33
BHPian

Didnt vote since my answer is it depends .

For smaller roads inside residential layouts etc I would actually prefer concrete roads. Speeds here is typically 20s so most of negatives of concrete go away and positives are amplified. In a country like India where smaller roads made by municipal corporations are first made of poor quality and then forgotten for years, concrete roads make a lot of sense. I have personally experienced this in my hometown (Faridabad). Newly laid roads would break in the first monsoon and then local RWA would have to lobby for a couple of yrs to just get it repaired. Some years back the road was changed to concrete. Its surface has waves, makes lots of noise, has water standing over it but one thing it does not have is big potholes.

For highways, I would totally vote for asphalt for reasons already stated by other members in the forum.

PS: From what I have heard, there is big-time lobbying happening from the cement industry for use of concrete. Legend has it that a few years back they had offered a "10 yrs free service and warranty" package on one of the projects. But they are facing major resistance both from babus and contractors. Unfortunately, neither side has the interests of road users in mind
sameerg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 09:56   #34
BHPian

As per the poll of which I prefer driving on, the answer would definitely be asphalt (expected on a car enthusiast forum).

However I do acknowledge the benefits of concrete. In my experience, concrete roads are better suited to India, as they require less maintenance, and last longer. Asphalt roads tend to deteriorate very quickly and end up looking like the surface of the moon.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 09:57   #35
BHPian

Asphalts road for sure. There is sun and moon difference between the smoothness levels achieved on on a well laid tarmac as compared to concrete roads-- this is particularly evident on roads where we have a combination of both ( NICE road in Bangalore) . I also like the fit and finish of asphalt as compared to concrete.
drift87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:03   #36
BHPian

Voted: Does it really matter? I think in big cities like Mumbai at least, it is not as much about the material as it is about the execution. I have come across my fair share of concrete and asphalt roads that are equally pleasurable to drive on. At the same time, I have come across both types of roads which were equally horrendous to drive on.

Assuming that both concrete and asphalt roads were executed to perfection (a dream?), I think only, in that case, would I choose Asphalt roads.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:44   #37
BHPian

I prefer concrete as it is long lasting and solid. Much better to have a slightly harder road that lasts than a road with potholes every so often. I never speed or drive recklessly so the loss of grip in the rain is not an issue for me. I would be going much slower and much more carefully in the rain anyway.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:48   #38
BHPian

My preference: concrete for city and asaphalt for highways

While i like the asaphalt roads for driving, I would say concrete roads in the city makes more reliable for slow moving traffic and less prone to damages. They also increase city mileage/FE which is often very less than highways

Highways with concrete is literally asking to loose the grip and travel with big road noise.
Old 12th May 2021, 11:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
The first concrete road in India is said to have been built by the British in Chennai in 1914.

Today, we are seeing a lot of arterial roads converted from asphalt to concrete roads. Most driving enthusiasts prefer asphalt, but the government seems determined to convert as many roads as possible to concrete.
Asphalt also allows other materials to be incorporated into it, Difficult to do that with concrete. Almost 1 lakh km of road has already been built using plastic waste. Just the environmental benefits is a big enough reason to lean towards Asphalt.

Concrete Roads vs Asphalt Roads | Understanding the pros & cons-juscoroads2_1430292026.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th May 2021 at 17:14. Reason: Please do not quote entire posts. Thanks.
RishavRBhardwaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 11:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Asphalt any day provided it is in topnotch condition. Broken roads or ones with ruts is a definite no, that time concrete is better.

Asphalt roads have better grip, less noise and more confidence inspiring than concrete ones.

However saying that, I hate the Mastic Asphalt roads. They are downright scary especially if you are on the bike. If you by chance have a spill, the stones will cut through your skin like hundreds of blades. In a car, it is bound to lessen the life of your tyres.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 12:18   #41

This is a no-brainer.
Asphalt road is a clear favorite.
Most of us can agree that the best drives are on smooth black tarmacs.

One more reason to hate concrete roads is the amount of reflected light apart from the road noise and grip levels.
Old 12th May 2021, 12:40   #42
BHPian

Good asphalt road are comfortable to drive on. I have felt that concrete roads have less grip especially for small cars driving on highways.
Well made and well maintained asphalt roads should be sufficient in country like ours.
Old 12th May 2021, 12:43   #43
BHPian

Let us bring our PWD (Public Works Department) and their very competent (pun intended) contractors in the picture. The wonderful asphalt roads built by them do not last even one year. On the contrary the concrete roads tend to last for many years. This is as per my observation in a State (Haryana) which is not particularly know for its road quality.
Even in Gurgaon, a district bordering Delhi, some of the very prominent roads were re-laid with concrete and are working fine since last many years, whereas it was an unfailing custom that asphalt roads would break after every monsoon.

Even the national highway stretch from Delhi to Jaipur (made of asphalt) is laden with potholes at too many places.

We simply do not deserve asphalt roads unless we can make them of the EU quality
Old 12th May 2021, 13:03   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
[*]Since concrete roads handle weight well by being less prone to dips & rutting, they are better suited to roads with high truck volume
But all runways are asphalt, and aircrafts definitely bash and stress out the surface more than trucks do, right?
Old 12th May 2021, 13:07   #45
BHPian

Hi, I completely agree with the views of distinguished member V. Narayan.
Myself, being in the industry/business of manufacturing & supplying equipment for the construction industry(including road construction), I can say with a certain authority that Asphalt Road construction business is a very good money spinner for all those involved. The more frequently the authorities lay/repair asphalt roads, more is the money milked from the treasury. So the asphalt road needs to break every now and then(read build to suit). If Asphalt roads are laid to the right IRC specifications, then their life span is certainly good if not as good as Concrete Roads., but then this is where hands shake and quality is compromised. An example from Karnataka would be the infamous Asphalt Road of Shiradi Ghat. There was talk of laying the ghat stretch with concrete.
No doubt concrete roads offer a great life span(more than 10 years if I am right) and studies in USA have indicated a certain amount of fuel savings(don't remember the exact figure - probably around 2-5%). Also cement manufacturers have expanded their capacities, so it needs to be consumed.
My preference to drive would be on Asphalt Roads for the butter smooth experience, but as long as the highway speed limit is 80-100KMPH, shouldn't really matter to me.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 12th May 2021 at 13:35. Reason: Content addition
Pkumarblore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks