Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:36   #1
BHPian

EDIT: My Experience Of Increasing compression & Grooving a Pulsar 150

Hi All,

Encouraged by the success of grooving in cars I decided to implement this wonderful technique on our bikes.I was thinking since long & finally grooved pulsar 150.The bike has been tranformed totally.Therer is excellent rise in initial torque.Bike is now vey very responsive.Pulsar 150 is having compression ratio of around 9.4:1 and we increased it further to nearly 10:1 by removing 0.4 mm metal from head surface.This bike is having two spark plug on opposite direction to enhance combustion.I grooved just opposite both plugs in the same manner as in cars.So there are two Grooves and were pointing towards plug area & having sharp edges on both sides.

This job took nearly one day as we have to take head to other auto workshop for surface grinding.

I have also applied another technique called "Edging".Its simply rounding the sharp corners on the surface of head so that there is better flow of gases.I have done this Edging with simple file.It helps better flow of air fuel mixture & exhaust gases in & out.

We have taken photo by mobile phone & I m happy to share it.

This Pulsar owner who is a frind of mine is extremly happy to see such a remarkabe transformation.FE is also on higher side but cant comment right now.

Enjoy

Last edited by finetuning : 3rd May 2007 at 20:43.
Old 3rd May 2007, 21:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since you increased the compression alongwith the grooving how do you know that it was grooving that increased the performance, couldn't it have been due to the increase in compression?

Increasing the compression alone would result in better low end torque, crisper throttle response and an increase in fuel economy (if the bike has not been upjetted).
Old 3rd May 2007, 21:48   #3
BHPian

Finetuning, it would be intersting to know the after effects of grooving with out actually going up on the compression. Have you got any results for this method ?

Last edited by Sideways : 3rd May 2007 at 21:49.
Old 4th May 2007, 00:09   #4
BHPian

I havent tried doing just grooves without increasing CR.......I think that for any such modification we need to support it by such means so that BANG in explosion can be better utilised.Performance gain is the combination of both.Grooves promots total burn.It will be interesting to know the effect of grooves without raising CR.

What may be the method to check the rise in Torque & BHP in this bike?

Enjoy.
Old 4th May 2007, 01:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning View Post

What may be the method to check the rise in Torque & BHP in this bike?

Enjoy.
Dyno. Thers one in bangalore specifically for bikes. I think it's a Dynojet. Excellent hardware.
Old 4th May 2007, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Dyno. Thers one in bangalore specifically for bikes. I think it's a Dynojet. Excellent hardware.
How much does it cost to dyno a bike there?
Old 4th May 2007, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ finetunning ...man you started laying your hands on 2 wheels ..good ! .

Now give a high resolution pics of the grooves ,we want to see the groves .Did u also polish/enlarge the intake and outlet ?
Old 5th May 2007, 13:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
@ finetunning ...man you started laying your hands on 2 wheels ..good ! .

Now give a high resolution pics of the grooves ,we want to see the groves .Did u also polish/enlarge the intake and outlet ?
Hi,
Will post high resolution photo after 12th May...........I havent done anything to itake & outlet.........just grooving with increased compression and rounding of head surface after grinding work....there is remarkabe increase in torque.....

Enjoy..
Old 5th May 2007, 15:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Finetuning, it would be intersting to know the after effects of grooving with out actually going up on the compression. Have you got any results for this method ?

AFAIK,Just grooving(w/o any header job) means fuel will burn better.But,the CR will go down the drain,it will start to feel underpowered to compensate that you need to do the head job to bump up the compression and get best of both world.

Last edited by hemi : 5th May 2007 at 16:01.
Old 7th May 2007, 05:55   #10
BANNED

And which is the version of the P150 ? Is it v1 or v2 ?
Old 2nd June 2007, 21:52   #11
BHPian

Hi,

The grooved pulsar is V2....also we have to carry out tapet setting for increased compression & groove work.This is I think a must with grooving work.Bike is performing so well.Also FE is seen increasing but cant comment as not checked with 1 ltr bottle.Will share FE data soon.There is marked improvement in 2nd & 3rd gear.SO I assume low end tourque is on upside with this.

Enjoy....
Old 17th June 2007, 21:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the this project , pics ?
Old 21st June 2007, 17:38   #13
BHPian

Hi black12rr,

Both bikes running great....pulsar is flying now.....photos that I shared are with mobile phone hence not very clear....next time I will share photos with digital camera....grooving is really a great option for performance enthusiast at no extra cost.....but the shape,position & size of grooves vary depending upon squish area & spark plug location....in case of pulsar having twin spark plug we made 2 grooves opposite each other where as in fiero only one...again cant comment on FE as no feedback.......so far I opted just a single groove per cylinder......there are reports that even 3 grooves per cylinders works well.......but again I prefer just single groove.....its a fun doing such projects successfully and sharing.....

Enjoy.....
Old 21st June 2007, 19:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

is the high rpm capability affected? From what i ve heard this method gives a better burn at low and mid range rpm only and things start to become chaotic when you reach the upper rpm range.
Old 26th June 2007, 12:57   #15
BHPian

Hi Ananth,

I think there is improvement in high RPM too......If we look at various links at somender's site we can find people getting benefited in racing too.....there is improvement in start to finish timing......concept of grooving is to create progressive turbulance which makes a total burn.High swirling promoted by groove together with increased compression gives excellent charge preperation which can maintain flame till exhaust valve opening........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks