Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 03:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Query about cold start RPM levels

Its to help warm up the catalytic convertor to operating temperature. Also helps to heat up the engine oil.
nitinsharma1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 09:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Which diesel car you have?
It's Brezza Diesel BS4.
Old 27th July 2021, 09:26   #33
BHPian

Get your TPS calibrated, it is showing 13.7% open at idle (unless you are resting/pressing the throttle to hold these rpm's!). This could lead to more fuel consumption at idle and while driving, also bad drivability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Attachment 2184156

It's a Maruti thing I used to believe, idle so pathetically low in order to return FE.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 27th July 2021 at 09:30.
ssjr0498 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 15:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerk View Post
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this already, but the catalytic converter needs to be at around 450°C to operate effectively. Which is why engines run at higher RPMs during cold starts.
Alone high RPM at no load won't raise temperature of coolant (and catalytic converter) faster. A thermostat valve block coolant circulation through radiator to raise coolant temp faster. High RPM at cold start is prevent engine stalling for petrol cars because gasoline atomise (and burn) better at higher temp.
Old 31st July 2021, 20:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Also, out of curiosity, another one. In the past, when I used to observe bus and truck drivers, on stopping their vehicles at a designated place, they would disengage gear and then rev the engine twice or thrice.
Revving of engine before stop was very common in the 60s. They did that to "fill up the engine with petrol". This is a waste of fuel and nothing else.

To me it sounds like a grandmas tale to rev up the engine before stop.

Idling a turbo engine with normal road use is also a waste of time. This might apply at pit stops on racing tracks. I never do this. I turn off the engine as soon as I stop the car.

My car shows 408,000 km on the original factory fitted turbo. It should have broken up years ago if what I am doing is wrong. I also dont replace my oil filter at every oil change but at every other.

I dont go looking for the best motor oils but use a good brand oil that gives me the best price when I buy in bulk.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 09:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
Has anybody else observed different cold start rpm values?
My i10 Kappa2 Sportz starts with slightly above1000 rpm and after some time settles at 800 rpm approximately. If the air conditioner is turned the rpm increases.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks