Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2007, 12:36   #16
BANNED

I am using swift( with ABS) from last one and half years. Never faced any problem with brakes.

I think you should get it checked with maruthi guys . Braking problem with swift is a rare case....
Old 10th August 2007, 18:33   #17
BHPian

Hi Abhay, you should have guessed by now that the Swift has very good brakes ! Personally I think they're not linear, & a tad over-servoed - anyway, that's just me.
Pulling to one side on braking could mean warped disks, & given that you've got no ABS, but still feeling pulsing while braking, this could be your problem. Are your brakes screeching ? As mentioned in earlier posts, air in the lines lead to spongy brakes - easily solved by bleeding the brakes completely. You might also want to check your steering alignment, & also check if the brake servo is leaking...
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:38   #18
BHPian

There is an issue i have discovered while driving - on any car for that matter.

But it is more recognizable on Swift because tends to feal heavy in itself + heavy steering.

Second - Please make sure you are wearing hard and shoe with grip. I noticed that when i was wearing very soft rubber shoe, i felt that brakes were not sharp. When i removed the shoe, and braked without wearing anything, the brake felt better. Also, if you wear slippery leather office shoe, you are not going to be able to brake very well.

This is not really a solution, but just a thought.

Ever since i went to Ooty (downhill), it seems i dont have good brakes anymore and they have lost the bite like it had when i was new.

Last edited by aerohit : 23rd January 2009 at 19:40.
Old 3rd May 2009, 09:46   #19
BHPian

Guys, even i think Swift has some problem in braking or atleast mine has... Mine is a new Swift VDi without ABS, done 4250 kms till now.

Yesterday i was driving down from Bangalore to Mysore on the highway at around 80-90 kmph. It was a peaceful drive till a racing ikon went past me and in about 150 meters, slowed down to stop, due to a speed braker. I had around 50m to recognize and stop the car.

I had applied the brake fully and even 50m wasnt enough for the car to slow down. Thankfully, there was space on the left side edge of the road and i was saved.

I couldnt image what would've happened if that space wasn't there. I have lost confidence on that road and that i wasnt driving more than 60-70kmph and i have started being very defensive...

Not very confident on Swift brakes. Can anyone provide me some panic braking tips please?
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:34   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Guys, even i think Swift has some problem in braking or atleast mine has... Mine is a new Swift VDi without ABS, done 4250 kms till now.

Yesterday i was driving down from Bangalore to Mysore on the highway at around 80-90 kmph. It was a peaceful drive till a racing ikon went past me and in about 150 meters, slowed down to stop, due to a speed braker. I had around 50m to recognize and stop the car.

I had applied the brake fully and even 50m wasnt enough for the car to slow down. Thankfully, there was space on the left side edge of the road and i was saved.

I couldnt image what would've happened if that space wasn't there. I have lost confidence on that road and that i wasnt driving more than 60-70kmph and i have started being very defensive...

Not very confident on Swift brakes. Can anyone provide me some panic braking tips please?

Well, have you maintained your car regularly ? Most of the cars dont stop because the rear drum brakes are not so effective after a period of time . The solution is to get the rear drums adjusted.After that you will find that the brakes are much more effective .
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Well, have you maintained your car regularly ?
Well the car is new... done just 4250 kms... have done first service at 974km and after that, it didnt require any service.

Mine is mostly city driving and so, didnt have the need to test the real hard braking earlier... :-S
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:36   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Well the car is new... done just 4250 kms... have done first service at 974km and after that, it didnt require any service.

Mine is mostly city driving and so, didnt have the need to test the real hard braking earlier... :-S

Then i would suggest an inspection . I think there might be air in the lines . try getting a bleed done . Should help
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

get your car brakes checked as soon as possible may be the brake shoe have torn out.
Old 4th May 2009, 09:58   #24
BHPian

Swift brakes are pretty good and it is the tyres that can't keep up. I have 185/70 stock and I had ABS set in couple of times even with moderately hard braking.

If it was just a one-time incidence it might be that the brakes were heated up. Try braking hard and check if happens every time.

At highway speeds you have to use engine braking along with regular braking. Most probably that Ikon was using engine braking since Ikons are known to have weak brakes. Did you press clutch and brake at the same time?

Also check your tyres for embedded pebbles. I was feeling loss of grip and when I checked my tyres I found lots of small pebbles blocking most of the grooves. Grip and braking improved once i removed those pebbles.
Old 24th May 2009, 22:16   #25
BHPian

even my swift vdi(abs) swears towards left under hard braking.i can also feel the rear of the car coming sideways.am running on 205/55/15 yokohoma s drive.is anyone facing the same problem?
Old 25th May 2009, 11:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Everyday I have to travel 20 KM's to my office on highway and I am feeling very sad that my Swift doesn't have the "feel" of powerful brakes or "bite" as they say ....

Don't know how to explain this but I have to press brakes fully for panic stops and there is feeling like the discs/drums have been lubricated with oil (!!!)

There is absolutely no bite and when I go for panic stops (damn these dogs and bikers) there is slight vibration which I feel on the brake pedal...
(pl. note mine Swift is non ABS)

To make matter worse, recently I have observed that when I apply brakes on high speed (100), my car seems to dive on the left side ......

Anyone having such issues ?
I have got the same feeling to brakes lacking the bite. In my swift its very hard to get the brakes to lock thats how bad they are. I am giving it to Sai service tomorrow to get the problem solved.

I feel the reason behind this is poor quality brake shoes. If the problem is not solved i will change to better quality after market break shoes.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

I never had to apply sudden breaks, but usually after driving around 30-40km applying breaks will make a weird sound and that makes me skeptical about the breaking power of this car. This noise comes even if i am driving in traffic with 1st gear and try to apply break to stop.

Any comments ? is it due to heating ? or break shoes ? or the front disc breaks?
Old 26th May 2009, 13:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Any of the bangalore guys done brake bleeding with satisfactory result. I guess my car's(Baleno) braking problem is also related to bleeding that was not done properly. I've also changed the pads, got the rear pads cleaned and adjusted but the car just refuses to stop at high speed. So it'll be really helpful if anyone can give some reference to some good mechanic who can do it properly.
Regards,
Old 26th May 2009, 20:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I never had to apply sudden breaks, but usually after driving around 30-40km applying breaks will make a weird sound and that makes me skeptical about the breaking power of this car. This noise comes even if i am driving in traffic with 1st gear and try to apply break to stop.

Any comments ? is it due to heating ? or break shoes ? or the front disc breaks?
Thatis normal feedback.
Stuff rubbing against each other.

Press it harder, warm it up, and there will be no such sound.
Old 26th May 2009, 20:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Any of the bangalore guys done brake bleeding with satisfactory result. I guess my car's(Baleno) braking problem is also related to bleeding that was not done properly. I've also changed the pads, got the rear pads cleaned and adjusted but the car just refuses to stop at high speed. So it'll be really helpful if anyone can give some reference to some good mechanic who can do it properly.
Regards,
I did bleeding once myself (friend pumps pedal and i do the work outside)

Damn, that was awsome job i did, built 100% vacumn, so much that tryes would easily lock up. hehe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks